Mr Minio's Top 185 Films aka I bet you haven't seen it!

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
16. The Man Who Sleeps

Possibly the greatest depiction of escapism and depression in cinema.

15. Into Great Silence

Oh come on, the documentary portraying the life of monks is a movie I was entitled to love.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Strangely enough for me, I actually saw The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover at the movies when it was out. I liked it quite a bit.

Another Blade Runner fan equals another reason for me to try it again.

Didn't you like Blade Runner? What didn't you like?

Rape/Revenge and Nuns? I gotcha covered Mr Mino.

The French version if uncut.

And, for the foreign movie snob in you.

Thriller - A Cruel Picture aka They Call Her One Eye

It's the first time I like your recommendation. Thanks.

Didn't you like Blade Runner? What didn't you like?
I don't even remember it that well. I just remember that I thought it was very boring. But it was a long time ago and I want to give it another fair chance.

Blade Runner, aww yeah. Pleasantly surprised to see Inland Empire up so high.

That's how I watch movies. I deliberately find them. I don't just put on TV and watch whatever's on. This way I would have way more films rated
and below.
Oh please,for Europeans it's easier to find arthouse films because Europeans make most arthouse films.There are some TV channels in my country which show arthouse stuff(mostly Russian) only I don't watch it.

14. Once Upon a Time in America

Before I saw it I thought I don't like gangster movies. After I saw it it became one of my favourite films ever. De Niro gives his best performance (silence Taxi Driver fans, that's my opinion) and Morricone once again creates a masterful soundtrack. That giant gap in Leone's career was all worth it.

13. Wings of Desire

This film is a great example on how Hollywood takes an arthouse film and changes it into s(l)oppy melodrama with Nicholas Cage so more people watch it. Well, I quite like the remake to be honest, but compared to original it's horrible. To me Der Himmel über Berlin is like a poetry, like a prayer. The movie I understood perfectly, but not with my mind (that also), but with my heart.

12. Las

My favourite Polish movie ever made looks like a weird mix of Tarkovsky and Tarr. Of course, it's very slow paced and weird, but that's what cool people like.

11. Visitor of a Museum

My favourite post-apocalyptic film. More about it here.

I love Once Upon a Time in America. Haven't seen the others, but given my love of Paris, Texas I really ought to try Wings of Desire.

Mind you the movies are nothing alike, but both are masterpieces.

+ rep for both Once Upon A Time In America and Wings Of Desire. I preferred Alice In The Cities, but that's the only other Wim Wenders film I've seen. Nothing else of his seems to appeal to me.

10. Fanny and Alexander

Ingmar Bergman, one of the most known foreign arthouse filmmakers, has made a ton of films. I had a pleasure to watch 20 of them and I more or less liked them all, but there's no doubt that Fanny och Alexander is Bergman's richest, if not most accomplished film. Films such as The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Vertical Trilogy and Persona are recommended before you even start to think about watching this enormous piece. Not only because it contains all the themes Bergman has placed in his previous works, but also due to its complexity, duration and style. I have seen the TV version lasting five hours in one sitting with no breaks and it was one of the best experiences in my life. Sven Nykvist must have been superhuman to create such a cinematography. Scenography is beyond words - probably the best in history. Bergman was grabbed of Oscar again. If not two. Thankfully the film got 4 Oscars, which is probably some kind of a record for a foreign movie. I don't know myself, mark f would probably know. So basically we have a take on childhood, magic, faith, family bonds and much more, while the movie stays easy to grasp with no importuning philosophy. I mean, there's plenty of it, but hidden in symbols and therefore the movie seems interesting for wider audience.

Well you know from the rate the last movie thread that I watched the TV version uninterrupted the other night, and you know how I found it. Great experience and a magnificent film. Everything about it is fantastic, so ambitious and everything seems so perfect and real, a truly great film and one of the very best I have ever seen. It might even be in my next top 10