Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Have I mentioned The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959) to you? I just seen it a while back and I even reviewed it too. Amazing movie, very realistic looking ship scenes, especially the boarding of the ship in heavy storms from a smaller ship looked great. It's one part action, one part thriller, one part drama and a whole bunch parts mystery. I'd never seen it before but damn it's got it all.
Hi Rules, I only vaguely recall the review. I'll have to put it on the list (you know how I love ships at sea movies!)
And I wouldn't want to miss it with THAT cast (don't think I've ever seen a movie with Gary Cooper and "Chuck" together)!!! ...and then on top of it: Someone left a Cake Out in the Rain!

Kiss Me, Stupid (1964)

Director: Billy Wilder
Writers: Billy Wilder (screenplay), I.A.L. Diamond (screenplay)
Cast: Dean Martin, Kim Novak, Ray Walston, Felicia Farr, Cliff Osmond
Genre: Adult themed comedy

Billy Wilder wrote and directed this adult themed sex comedy, that stirred up a heap of controversy when it was first released. Even today the film that deals with wife swapping and prostitution can raise an eyebrow or two.

Originally this was to be called 'The Sizzling Hour'...a title that sounds much more adult and more fitting than the cutesy title they went with. But don't be fooled into thinking this is a G rated Doris Day type comedy, it's not.

One of the things I love about this is Dean Martin plays a very serious character. Which is quite unusual for the singer who mainly did comedy roles. Here he plays himself, which is also highly unique. We start off watching a real performance by Dino at The Sands. He then hops into his expensive Italian car and heads to Las Vegas to shoot a TV show special. Along the way he runs into a road block and is forced to take a shortcut into a hole in the wall town, Climax Nevada. Where two desperate song writers (Ray Walston and Cliff Osmond) sabotage his car so that Dino will be forced to spend the night, given them time to pitch their songs to him. Along the way they come up with a plan to hire a prostitute (Kim Novak) to play Walston's wife, so Walston can give his wife to lusty Dino.

Dean Martin is great as a womanizing cad! He had real guts to play such an unsavory and unlikable character. Especially as he's playing himself. He's good at it too!

Ray Walston is golden as the insanely jealous husband and would be song writer who's willing to do just about anything to make Deano happy. Originally this was to star Jack Lemon who couldn't make it, then filming started with Peter Sellers who had a heart attack and couldn't finish. I'm glad Peter Sellers didn't make this, Walson is a much better choice anyway.

Fellica Farr is the loving wife of Ray Walston, who never knows what's going on but ends up doing a lot to help out! She's good. You have to see the movie to know what I mean. The Catholic Legion of Decency strongly objected to the film, which forced Billy Wilder to reshoot the last scene with Fellica Farr and Dean Martin. The restored print however does have the original, scandalous scene.

Shoot out to a very funny, Cliff Osmond, who makes the most of his on screen time.

I'm not always a big fan of Kim Novak. Originally this was to be a Marilyn Monroe vehicle, but after her suicide in 1962 the film was rewrote for Kim Novak. Novak is good, not special, but her more subdued performance helps to balance the almost maniacal energy of Ray Walston.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kiss Me Stupid 1964.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	45738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kiss Me Stupid 1964 (7).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	45739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kiss Me Stupid 1964 (6).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	45740  

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Who committed suicide, CR? Good grief it's a harsh industry! Good review. Thanks for posting

Who committed suicide, CR? Good grief it's a harsh industry! Good review. Thanks for posting
Thanks

It was Marilyn Monroe in 1962, she would have played Polly The Pistol the bar girl...that's the character Kim Novak took over. I wonder how it would have been with Marilyn?

None But the Brave (1965)

Director: Frank Sinatra
Writers: John Twist & Katsuya Susaki (screenplay)
Cast: Frank Sinatra, Clint Walker, Tatsuya Mihashi, Takeshi Katô, Tommy Sands
Genre: War Drama

'During WW2, a platoon of Marines crash-lands on a tiny Pacific island occupied by a small Japanese unit.'

The only film Frank Sinatra ever directed, and he tried something very different too. The core of this film is ground breaking, it was a joint production between U.S. and Japanese film makers. Both teams contributed to the script and many Japanese actors were used and given equal billing. Even the opening credits bear out that this film is going to be different! as it's told from two view points.

The Japanese soldiers are stranded on a small and unimportant island. So unimportant that the U.S. didn't even bother landing there during WWII. They're starving and out of contact with their homeland, so build a small boat in attempt to rejoin the ongoing war, as it's their duty.

During an air battle a U.S. war plan carrying Marines crash lands on the island. The Marines are also alone, as their radio is destroyed, leaving them to fend for themselves. What makes this film different is, we see the two groups of men going about the same task and from each of their view points. Eventually they talk and decide to work together. So in some ways this is an anti-war film. But don't worry there's still plenty of fightin' and killin' going on.

This was filmed on Kaui, Hawaii and so looks tropical, because it is! The on-location shooting does wonders for the film. So it's too bad Frank Sinatra who plays a drunken military doctor, sleep walks through the movie. It's a movie that has high ideas, but relays on stale one liner wise-cracks....It contains some of the silliest fighting sequences ever put on film. You have a man with a machine gun firing on a group of enemy soldiers and missing most every time. It's hookey when it shouldn't be. One has to see Tommy Sands' over the top Marine Lieutenant to believe it!

The one really good scene is when the two enemy camps make contact and Frank Sinatra goes to aid a wounded Japanese soldier and has to amputate his leg. Sinatra does this seen awesome and the seen is powerful. I wish the rest of the movie could have been this good.

-

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	None But The Brave 1965 (4).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	45742   Click image for larger version

Name:	None But The Brave 1965 (2).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	45744   Click image for larger version

Name:	None But The Brave 1965 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	45745  

Thanks

It was Marilyn Monroe in 1962, she would have played Polly The Pistol the bar girl...that's the character Kim Novak took over. I wonder how it would have been with Marilyn?
Did Marilyn take an overdose or was it accidental? I always thought it was reported as accidental or inconclusive? Of course then there were in conspiracy theorists who say she was murdered.

Did Marilyn take an overdose or was it accidental? I always thought it was reported as accidental or inconclusive? Of course then there were in conspiracy theorists who say she was murdered.
Who knows for sure? So it's open to interruption. But personally I flat out don't believe she was murdered, don't believe it was any conspiracy. She was known to be very troubled, I believe she had attempted suicide before. And reportedly she was just dumped by Robert Kennedy and was despondent. It's too bad because she had a great film career, I've really enjoyed her in many of her movies. Her last film she completed was The Misfits, a powerful film.

Who knows for sure? So it's open to interruption. But personally I flat out don't believe she was murdered, don't believe it was any conspiracy. She was known to be very troubled, I believe she had attempted suicide before. And reportedly she was just dumped by Robert Kennedy and was despondent. It's too bad because she had a great film career, I've really enjoyed her in many of her movies. Her last film she completed was The Misfits, a powerful film.
I agree. Just one big bag of tragedy. So sad. She apparently was highly intelligent, something the common folk like myself never got to see. I was always surprised she never married into royalty like Grace Kelly, or having a signature leading man like Doris. So sad.

I agree. Just one big bag of tragedy. So sad. She apparently was highly intelligen...
Yes she was! I'm glad you mentioned that. I've seen documentaries about her and she was very bright and educated. Well read too.

I can't tolerate stereotypes like that. Do men get typecast due to the color of their hair? She wasn't even blonde I don't think. Maybe men just get typecast as vicious bald guys which I think might be changing. I'm a bald redhead so I wonder how the casting couch would stereotype me seeing as I refuse to wear a wig. I think women really cop it in that regard and I blame women not men for that. Rebel Wilson always seems to get roles of overweight blond Bogan and she has a law degree which i only found out recently. Same with Amy Schumacher I believe. My bro met Angelina Jolie the other day and he said she's very very smart. I thought of a few more but I'm sun drunk and they've temporarily slipped through my fingers.

None But the Brave (1965)

Director: Frank Sinatra
Writers: John Twist & Katsuya Susaki (screenplay)
Cast: Frank Sinatra, Clint Walker, Tatsuya Mihashi, Takeshi Katô, Tommy Sands
Genre: War Drama

'During WW2, a platoon of Marines crash-lands on a tiny Pacific island occupied by a small Japanese unit.'

The only film Frank Sinatra ever directed, and he tried something very different too. The core of this film is ground breaking, it was a joint production between U.S. and Japanese film makers. Both teams contributed to the script and many Japanese actors were used and given equal billing. Even the opening credits bear out that this film is going to be different! as it's told from two view points.

The Japanese soldiers are stranded on a small and unimportant island. So unimportant that the U.S. didn't even bother landing there during WWII. They're starving and out of contact with their homeland, so build a small boat in attempt to rejoin the ongoing war, as it's their duty.

During an air battle a U.S. war plan carrying Marines crash lands on the island. The Marines are also alone, as their radio is destroyed, leaving them to fend for themselves. What makes this film different is, we see the two groups of men going about the same task and from each of their view points. Eventually they talk and decide to work together. So in some ways this is an anti-war film. But don't worry there's still plenty of fightin' and killin' going on.

This was filmed on Kaui, Hawaii and so looks tropical, because it is! The on-location shooting does wonders for the film. So it's too bad Frank Sinatra who plays a drunken military doctor, sleep walks through the movie. It's a movie that has high ideas, but relays on stale one liner wise-cracks....It contains some of the silliest fighting sequences ever put on film. You have a man with a machine gun firing on a group of enemy soldiers and missing most every time. It's hookey when it shouldn't be. One has to see Tommy Sands' over the top Marine Lieutenant to believe it!

The one really good scene is when the two enemy camps make contact and Frank Sinatra goes to aid a wounded Japanese soldier and has to amputate his leg. Sinatra does this seen awesome and the seen is powerful. I wish the rest of the movie could have been this good.

-

Dang! This came on TCM one night, but it was on too late and I couldn't stay up to watch it - only saw the beginning, but it looked really good and the scenario was interesting (never saw it in their On-Demand line up either, but due to the cable company where I now reside, TCM's On-Demand menu is limited to a handful of movies a week whereas with my old cable company TCM would have upwards of 50 movies a week!)

You're welcome. It's easy to do, but hard to figure out until someone tells you where to find the link.
Good catch on Nancy Kovack.
I always remember Nancy Kovack as the bitchy Sheila who kept trying to come between Darrin and Samantha during the first season of Beiwtched

I always remember Nancy Kovack as the bitchy Sheila who kept trying to come between Darrin and Samantha during the first season of Bewitched
I remember that episode, at a dinner party of all of Darrin's old friends, Sheila kept belittling Samantha. So Sam first made Sheila sneeze, then made her wig fall in her soup

Thanks

I read somewhere that Marilyn was also the first choice to play Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I read somewhere that Marilyn was also the first choice to play Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
So glad she didn't do Breakfast at Tiffany's, it's Audrey Hepburn who makes that movie.

[center]

Going My Way (1944)

Director: Leo McCarey
Writers: Frank Butler & Frank Cavett (screenplay)
Cast: Bing Crosby, Barry Fitzgerald, Frank McHugh, Jean Heather, Gene Lockhart
Genre: Comedy Drama

[font=Arial Narrow][size=3]

[center]It won seven Oscars including:

Best Actor Bing Crosby
Best Supporting Actor Barry Fitzgerald
Best Director
Best Original Story
Best Screenplay
I don't know if you're aware of this Citizen, but Barry Fitzgerald was nominated in both the lead and supporting categories for this performance. Academy rules were changed the following year so that actors could not be nominated in both categories for the same performance.

So glad she didn't do Breakfast at Tiffany's, it's Audrey Hepburn who makes that movie.
Yeah, I can't imagine anyone but Audrey playing that role either...it never would have happened though because Marilyn was in no shape to work circa 1960, which is in when Breakfast was filmed. If they had cast Marilyn, the film never would have been completed.

You're right about Hepburn. Although Maggie McNamara (The Moon Is Blue, Three Coins in a Fountain) would have been good for the role; but she was having troubles then as well.. Lots of tragic ends in the acting profession.