Thomas P's Top 50

→ in
Tools    

Why don't you like it?
Because, simply put, it is extremely boring. Watched it during the day once, almost fell asleep. And I repeatedly looked at the clock, as I was forcing myself to finish it. There is nothing entertaining or artistic about the movie, and it does not have one single scene that would make me want to give it another go.

Because, simply put, it is extremely boring. Watched it during the day once, almost fell asleep. And I repeatedly looked at the clock, as I was forcing myself to finish it. There is nothing entertaining or artistic about the movie, and it does not have one single scene that would make me want to give it another go.

and the final scene of course. Nothing entertaining or artistic? I think you watched a different film to me, sure even if you somehow weren't entertained I don't see how one could not appreciate the beauty of Polanksi's dark noir LA.

I love both Chinatown and Taxi Driver, and the other three are films on my watchlist too

and the final scene of course. Nothing entertaining or artistic? I think you watched a different film to me, sure even if you somehow weren't entertained I don't see how one could not appreciate the beauty of Polanksi's dark noir LA.

I love both Chinatown and Taxi Driver, and the other three are films on my watchlist too
I saw no beauty in it. And seeing as how you mentioned noir and LA in that sentence, I am going to mention LA Confidential - now that is a near-perfect movie. By far the superior noir. LA Confidential > Chinatown any day of the week.

I saw no beauty in it. And seeing as how you mentioned noir and LA in that sentence, I am going to mention LA Confidential - now that is a near-perfect movie. By far the superior noir. LA Confidential > Chinatown any day of the week.
L.A. Confidential is a love letter to the older great noir films such as Chinatown, it even has a direct reference with the girl with the plastered (?) nose at the beginning. If it wasn't for films like Chinatown then films like L.A. Confidential wouldn't exist, and it's a film that's deliberate stylish and filled with all the delicious noir elements/characters.

@BlueLion:

God no.

LA Confidential was a good movie and I really LOVE its tone, but the ending COMPLETELY withheld it from being a masterpiece. It's one of the best films of the 90s for sure, but the typical Hollywood ending just didn't feel right after all that happened. It just doesn't fit the neo-noir genre. It's a wonderful tribute to my favorite movie genre, but the ending betrayed it actually.

Chinatown on the other hand is practically perfect in any sense. I still can't understand how ANYONE can dislike this picture. It's probably the most shocking film I've ever seen in terms of emotions.
Apart from the very entertaining and clever plot, this film is actually one of the best character studies ever with one of the most beautiful dark atmospheres I've ever experienced.

@Thomas P: I absolutely ADORE your list. You have a wonderful taste!

Chinatown is one of those movies that I can't imagine anyone not enjoying. Taxi Driver I adore as well. The only Ozu I've seen is Tokyo Story (duh) which I liked.

Let the night air cool you off
This list really has been one of the better lists so far, the picks aren't just solid they are interesting and off the beaten path. Keep up the good work.

And I haven't seen anything positive about Godard's King Lear before, so I had written it off. I guess I was premature there and actually should see it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I rated Chinatown
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Contributing to the gifs

Chinatown is one of those movies that I can't imagine anyone not enjoying.
At least the great Gene Siskel had the same opinion as me.