Who are the Most Underrated Actors...

Tools    

My list could go on and on....

**Adrienne Shelly (The Unbelievable Truth, Trust)
Has virtually dissappeared- even from Hal Hartley movies to direct her own- where is she?

**Don Cheadle- (Boogie Nights, Mission to Mars- Traffic)
This guy keeps getting stuck in supporting roles... he's got the talent to play more than 2nd fiddle and pimps. I haven't seen Traffic yet so maybe....?

**Crispin Glover- (The River's Edge, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Charlie's Angels)
Okay so the guys whacked out of his mind... but - hey the guys whacked out of his mind! It transfers well onscreen, so who cares.. pair him up with Matthew Perry, Robert Downey, JR. and a little speed and we've got a comedy!

**D.R. Farquharson (Gavin's Way, Average)
Pronounced (Far-qwa-son)... other than the fact that this guy has a hard last name??? Wrote, directed, and starred in his own movie - that absolutely kicks ass. Shot it in 13 days, with no money.... He's Kevin Smith- Ed Burns- and Spike Lee all wrapped in one.

**Tara Subkoff- (The Last Days of Disco, The Cell)
I know- Tara who? Exactly- she's funny, has presence, and looks damn good as a blonde, red head, and Brunnette. Oh and hey- SHE CAN ACT!

**Martin Donovan- (The Opposite of Sex, Amatuer)
Has been around for years- film buffs can't tell the difference between him and Campbell Scott. Picks great roles- just not enough of them.... Where are you Martin?

Tom Berenger - Think of Platoon

William H Macy - every movie

The guy that played George in The Madness of King George

Oliver Platt in Over the Top

I gotta go. Lol, more later

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Mark Whallberg in Boogie Nights. One of the best performances an actor has ever given in my opinion.

Macy! Definitely!

And also (don't laugh), Stallone. I feel he gets a bad rap. I thought in Rambo: First Blood he was good, and he was good in Rocky too.

I also think that Arnie knows how to get his "goofy foreigner" comedy timing just right.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Stallone is actually a highly intelligent and intellecutal person. That everyone believes he IS his Rambo/Rocky characters is a tribute to his acting ability and the ignorance of the moviegoing public.

Macy ... i agree.

Oliver Platt - i so totally agree. that man is yummy. too bad his Deadline show failed, but i love him.

Oliver Platt is classic and one of my favs. I think Jeff Goldblum, Nathan Lane, and Val Kilmer should be added to the list.

Movie-Fever.com | New! Movie Fever Forums

Robert Duvall and William H. Macy.

Hopkins gets lots of roles, and is recognized, so he's not underrated, to me, that is. Kevin Spacey used to be, but he's recognized now as well.

I also think Matthew Perry is a lot funnier than people give him credit for. "The Whole 9 Yards" was hillarious...as was "Three to Tango."

Gary Oldman is THE most underrated actor. His talent is endless yet absolutely no recognition. So many don't even know him.

MovieForums Extra

Who's Gary Oldman?

I'm fuming, Zephyrus, I'm fuming.

Me.

I think Edward Norton should be added to this list. He's certainly a very fine actor. His turn in Primal Fear was excellent, and he's performed very well in movies like American History X and Rounders, among others. But he's not all that well known.

Speaking of Gary Oldman, he really is amazing sometimes how he slips into a role and makes it his own. There are times when it's hard to tell it's even the same actor from film to film. And a lot of times, the differences are just in the way in talks or curls his lips or carries himself more than any makeup, etc. In JFK, Oldman became Oswald. The transformation was incredible. Then he goes and does his next movie and he becomes someone else completely. He really is a gifted actor, I think.

Is Sean Penn underrated? He's been good in everything I've seen him in.

Argg. I completely forgot Sean Connery.

So many good movies, so little time.
Joseph Cotten has got to be one of the most underrated actors of all times. He was in many great movies including :

Citizen Kane
Magnificent Ambersons
Shadow of a Doubt
Gaslight
Potrait of Jennie
Duel in the Sun
The Third Man

These were 7 great movies just between 1941 and 1949.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by uconjack
Joseph Cotten has got to be one of the most underrated actors of all times.
Nice choice uconjack. I've seen a few of his movies, but not all of them on your list. I'll need to watch out for them in the futrure.

I also really liked Joseph Cotten in Niagra(1953) with Marilyn Monroe.

If Its Got Large Pointy Teeth, RUN!
William H. Macy IMO is a fantastic actor, I don't believe hes had the roles (Or the opportunity to aquire the roles) that has done him justice.

John C. Reilly
Brendan Gleeson
Tony Leung
Willem Dafoe
Takashi Kaneshiro
Justin Theroux
Chow Yun Fat
Ice Cube
Tom Savini