The Everyday Man or Woman/ Actor/Actress

Tools    

Put me in your pocket...
As I was watching Spencer Tracy and Kate in one of their movies again and I kept thinking how much Spencer grows on me. He's not an actor I immediately was drawn to, but the more I watch him the more fascinating he is. He's not the stero typical hollywood pretty boy like Cary, or as charismatic as Errol was....but boy does he exude a certain strength of character and confidence (even when he's bending to impress a woman)...that I love. He could be your next door neighbor or a co-worker you admire.

I was wondering which actor or actress you all like that would fit that bill and why.

Here's a a couple of mine...

Spencer Tracy
As I mentioned...the more I see of him the more I appreciate and like him. He's strong, yet has shown his characters can be soft spoken, but still can get a strong message across. Besides...I love the way he is with Kate.

Rex Harrison
I suppose you could consider him handsome, but he's not the typical hollywood hunk, cookie cutter cutt-out by any means. It's his voice, strength/attitude, warmth and in some films his sense of humor that sets him apart. He's definatley that neighbor type you can immediately trust and not only welcome into your home, but stand there and listen to him talk about taking the trash out. He's another one I admire the more I see/hear him.

Jean Arthur
I wanted to get a woman in here and I think she fits in well. I don't really hear as much about her as I do the other great ladies of her day. Maybe it's because she's not quite the hollywood beauty as a Rita or as distinctive as some of the other actresses...but again, the more I see her, the more I like her. She has great comic timing, exudes a certain strength and vunerablity...can stand her own with someone like Cary Grant...but I could still see her as a next door neighbor. A funny, warm and approachable everyday lady.

So who else has an everyday Joe/Jane they like and why?

Dustin Hoffman
I always think of Dusty as an average guy. And I could ramble on and on about why I like him so much. But I'd be wasting my breath, because Sir Holden of Pike has already thoroughly covered that topic right HERE. However, I will say that Hoffman is one of the only movie stars I could see myself actually connecting or hanging out with. And that is why he has become not only my favorite actor, but also my favoriite person in Hollywood.

i've always loved henry fonda, tom hanks, james stewart and kevin kline as average down to earth guys ..they can play a variety of roles and do anything from great comic roles to drama...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I think Ed Norton is a great Every Day Joe sort.
And as a female counterpart, I offer Joan Cusack.

My first thought was Hoffman as well, partly due to a story I heard from Eddie Foy. When he was casting something or other, he heard of this new talent from NY and a meeting was arranged. The New Yorker mumbled all the way through lunch; Foy barely heard a word. After the meeting, Foy told his friends who'd arranged the meeting, "as I live, Dustin Hoffman will never be an actor."

It would be a better story if
1. you didn't already know I was talking about Hoffman, and
2. I could remember what Foy was casting at the time.

meh

The People's Republic of Clogher

James Stewart - The daddy of everymen (or should that be everyone's daddy?)

Tim Spall - Fantastic in everything he does, Mr Kitchen Sink.

Paddy Considine - The best actor in England, one to keep tabs on...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Sam Rockwell - He's seriously one of the best actors I've ever seen. He can go from drama to comedy in an instant.

Paul Giamatti - Watch "American Splendor." Need I say more?

These guys look like people that would you'd probably know if they weren't in movies.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I agree with most of the picks in this thread. I would like to mention Morgan Freeman. He somehow manages to impress me with his brilliant acting, but at the same time presents a very common, friendly, sincere attitude in most of his roles. I'd actually like to see him play darker characters more often, but what he's done so far has been incredible.

I was thinking about who I would like to add to this list, then it dawned on me; just about anybody John Sayles has ever used in his films. On top of that list would have to be David Strathairn.

Talk about an under appreciated actor. I bet most of the people on this forum can easily recognize him, and may even like him, but didn’t know what his name is. The guy is a great actor. Especially when playing everyman type roles. He’s handsome and rugged in a non threatening way. He’s not flashy, loud, exceptionally funny, or anything…except believable. He can play the good guy with ease, and the bad guy with power. But, regardless of the role…he is awesome.

In my opinion, Sayles is one of the greatest living directors…and he’s used David EIGHT times! That’s gotta tell you something right there.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Another of the John Sayles alumni is the great Chris Cooper.

Before Adaptation, Cooper only really starred in John Sayles films. Most people have always recognized him immediately, but few (that I knew anyway) ever knew his name. Yet, there he was in so many movies playing pivotal roles, that he wound up carving out a fine career of solid work. Regardless of the film, we can rest assured that at least he will be terrific.

He’s not ugly, but he’s no Cary Grant either. He can be funny, personable, sad as hell, and downright scary when the role calls for it. Whenever he’s asked to play a father, he does so in such a poignant way, that regardless of how good a father he is, we want to root for him and love him too…or to at least feel pity for his ignorance.

Cooper is a great everyman type of guy.

One of my favorite actresses is Sissy Spacek, and I thought she'd fit in quite well in this thread.

Not ever regarded as a Hollywood starlet or even considered one of the beautiful, Spacek still made a name for herself with powerhouse starring performances and strong supporting work. Regardless of the film, Spacek always shines. She’s easily one of my favorite actresses of all time.

A couple of great Spacek films I’d like to recommend, if you guys haven’t seen them yet (let alone heard of them) are Raggedy Man and 'Night, Mother. Both great performances and little known.

Originally Posted by susan
my favorite david strathairn film was sneakers...he was absolutely wonderful as the blind guy...
Yeah, he was pretty fun in that one. I enjoyed the scene when he's talked through driving for the first time. He is an extremely likable guy.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
John Cusak

I'll edit the post later to include pictures so it looks all spiffy like slaytan's if I get around to it.

TONI COLLETTE

I think she is fantastic, Toni isn't a great beauty but can look beautiful, she is willing to try any role, also she comes across as a down to earth person.