The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I'm getting the impression that there's a lot of dislike for I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

Be sure, there are supporters too. It is a very beautiful film!

Statler and Waldorf Checkpoint Series
are here again

📽️ Round One
(91-100 + part of the one-pointers)
🎞️

As with the comedy countdown, I present here the rank of the films by the arithmetic average rating according to 24 world wide movie communities + one group of critics. In a few words, That's what the World thinks!

List of The Film Communities by Language ▷  

---
Rank List as rated by the World (scale made equal to 1-10)

ELITE
empty
ELITE
GOOOD

1. 97. Room (2015) 7,90
2. 99. World of Tomorrow (2015) 7,82
3. 95. The Man From Nowhere (2010) 7,56

GOOOD
MIDDLE PACK

4. 1p. Microhabitat (2018) 7,45
5. 1p. Corn Island (2014) 7,35
6. 1p. A Royal Affair (2012) 7,33
6. 100. The Raid (2011) 7,33
8. 94. Captain America: Civil War (2016) 7,23
9. 1p. Ága (2018) 7,02

MIDDLE PACK
Hmm

10. 1p. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows 6,96
10. 92. Anomalisa (2015) 6,96
12. 96. Hereditary (2018) 6,95
13. 98. The Descendants (2011) 6,90
14. 1p. Cheatin' (2014) 6,86
15. 91. The Vvitch (2015) 6,73
15. 1p. Danny Collins (2015) 6,73
17. 1p. The Mill and the Cross (2011) 6,71

Hmm
UGH
18. 93. It Follows (2014) 6,46
19. 1p. Revenge (2017) 6,16
20. 1p. Cake (2014) 6,01

1p. Bliss (2019) 5,91
1p. Upside Down (2012) 5,85
1p. Death at a Funeral (2010) 5,45
1p. Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) 5,08

---

Sorry for not including all one-pointers, it just takes a lot of time.
In case someone wants I to add additional title, please just say it here and I'll do it.
Wow. This looks like quite an undertaking. How do you do it?

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
The Witch was the first of my votes to appear. In fact it was my no. 10. Amazing film. Atmosphere was beautifully created in it's controll of horror and dread with setting. Spectacular film and Eggers along with Ari Aster are making some truly great psychological horror films along the lines of a Rosemary's Baby or Suspira that give credence to what is one of my least favorite genres.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

To throw in my 2 cents about the end of It Follows I don't hate that climactic scene specifically, it does feel like something dumb teens come up with. What is a minor annoyance with me however
WARNING: "It Follows spoilers" spoilers below
is when they shoot it in the head to finally kill it. Because they shoot it in the head earlier in the movie at the beach house, and they shoot it in the head a couple more times during the pool scene, but one more bullet to the head finally kills it at the very end. Why? Why did it work that last time and not the others?

Victim of The Night
I would not watch a show if the episodes were like 2.5 hours long and also sometimes I had to watch episodes (2.5 hour episodes!) featuring characters I didn't care for just to understand fully the episodes centered on characters I do like.

That would be exhausting. Which is how I feel about the Marvel Universe at this point.

But I'm glad some people still enjoy it. It's not a series I find, like, morally objectionable or anything. But it's definitely lost its magic for me and I no longer feel any kind of pleasant anticipation about any of the new films.
Well, that's how I feel about most shows. They are almost all way too long, they meander and wander into characters and events that I do not care about to fill their allotted episodes, and I find the whole undertaking pretty grueling. I made it through one season of The Sopranos, five episodes of Breaking Bad, and of course, the entire 70 grueling hours of Game Of Thrones, which I can never get back.
But I don't exactly understand what you're saying since the length of an individual episode shouldn't really matter in my mind as most people are going to binge them anyway and actually have them be much longer and, if anything, less focused since they have to fill out the number of episodes no matter what.
Still, it is no matter, you do not like the MCU much and that is fine, I'm just a little puzzled how one can complain about the amount of content and consistency of style and then watch a multi-season show which will be dramatically longer and also the same style.

Still, it is no matter, you do not like the MCU much and that is fine, I'm just a little puzzled how one can complain about the amount of content and consistency of style and then watch a multi-season show which will be dramatically longer and also the same style.
Well, I don't tend to watch shows like Game of Thrones. I tend to like my shows more episodic or if they are long-arc stories, then in 6-8 episode series.

But even when you do sit and watch several episodes of a show, they are paced differently, because each episode is designed to be consumed as a 45 minute chunk.

I would actually very much compare the MCU to a long-running TV series that I've bailed on. For example, I watched the first season of Downton Abbey and enjoyed it. But when it came time to check out the second season I was like, "Actually . . . no thanks."

I wouldn't say I dislike the MCU. My rating for every Marvel film I've seen would range from
to
. But I do find them to have the same "vibe", and as the novelty of it wears off, I find them less and less compelling. It's like someone bringing me a cupcake every 30 minutes. By the 8th cupcake it's like "Look, I enjoyed the first few cupcakes. But this is so many cupcakes. No more cupcakes for now, okay? I will eat another cupcake tomorrow."

And I've found that really spacing out my viewing of the films helps. I enjoyed Spiderman: Homecoming a few months back. I also enjoyed watching Spider-Man 2.

Again, I hit Civil War at a point where I was trying to keep up with the series, but falling behind and feeling cranky about all of the plot developments and overlaps. My approach to the films now ("I'll get to them when I get to them") works out much better.

I forgot the opening line.
92. Anomalisa - Saw this for the first time this year while hosting a Hall of Fame - My review for it is here. I thought Anomalisa was great, and another confirmation that Charlie Kaufman could go down as one of the greatest screenwriters and filmmakers of all time if he keeps this up to the end. It's beautifully animated with stop-motion figures, which lends it an air of otherworldliness and allows Kaufman to project nearly every character in the film as 'the same as everyone else'. It's a bittersweet, thoughtful tale, and very emotionally involving. The film went on to win the Hall of Fame, beating the likes of Das Boot and Goldfinger - so for those who haven't seen it yet, that's high praise indeed. I'd never heard of it before Torgo nominated it.

91. The VVitch - Here's a movie I really enjoyed the first time I watched it, but needs another viewing. I'm finding that I don't do that as much as I used to - watch films I think were superb numerous times. The last time I did that was a few years ago with A Man For All Seasons. Anyway, The VVitch is a very well made film, with paranoia and dread which just builds and builds from one moment to the next. It's the kind of film that feels authentic, and one that has been made with care and an eye for good-looking cinematography. One of those films that picks at your imagination and plays with your mind as the characters in it have their minds played with. A patient, eerie walk through a horror story from yesteryear with an emphasis on genuine details in it's production design. Only seen it once, and need to remedy that.

Neither film made my list.

Seen - 8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Comic book and horror, my two least favorite genres. Go for the trifecta with a musical next.

Highly doubt I'll ever watch either.
We would NOT get along on a desert island.

So, one reason why I'm asking about Syncechdoche, NY, is because I'm wondering if there's a contingent of people who think of themselves of Kaufmann fans, but are primarily thinking of the Malkovich to Eternal Sunshine run (I actually prefer the post Sunshine run, where Kaufmann is directing, but they do have a different sensibility).

I've watched it two or three times, and the impact of its shittiness has never lessened.

If I recall, even the music in the score that plays during those scenes is off.

It feels like a cast off idea from The Lost Boys as they are boobytrapping their house, but even Corey Feldman was 'nah dog, that's totally dumb' so didn't make the cut. But at least in Lost Boys it would fit its gloriously 80s tacky and goofy mood. It just does not belong in the sober It Follows. Just a mindbogglingly bad decision.
It's due for a rewatch, but somehow going in, knowing that they had a shitty plan for that scene (one benefit for hearing reviews first, I guess), somehow made it seem like it wasn't as big of a deal for me (and I knew it was coming). I think by the time I finally saw it, I had heard that there were some scenes where the logic of the appearance of the entity doesn't really make sense, so I guess I went in with that knowledge baked in. Expectations and all.

WARNING: "The Pool Scene" spoilers below
One read of the pool scene that's being brought up here that I had never considered (and still don't) is that they actually killed the entity and a different one is what followed them later. I always just took it as the manifestation of the existential crisis of life. i.e. The slow creeping of death coming towards you. So everything they do may be able to slow it down, but it'll never be able to stop it. Granted, I don't think anything in that read will change your opinion of your objections.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen either Anomolisa or The Witch, and based on what I've read about them, it's unlikely that either movie would have made my list.

It's certainly well made, but it's nothing but a bunch of sex drugs and rock and roll for the first to acts.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone see Babylon yet?

On a completely unrelated note, anyone see Babylon yet?
At least Babylon HAD an active story! And the drugs, sex and rock and roll had a more horrifying aspect to it which was only one part of the story.

At least Babylon HAD an active story! And the drugs, sex and rock and roll had a more horrifying aspect to it which was only one part of the story.

I was just being glib. Saw Babylon today and mostly enjoyed it.

It could still have more story to it.

The film is an exploration of the emptiness of this kind of American dream, and a man who personifies it. His bad and ridiculous behaviour is a part of illustrating the story of his life and ultimate downfall (?).

It's at no point a film lacking in story. Dwelling in these very particular moments of his life is how it tells it.

I'm getting the impression that there's a lot of dislike for I'm Thinking of Ending Things. I'm wondering what the general mood is towards Synecdoche, New York, in terms of the people who feel they're generally Kaufman fans
I think Synecdoche is a masterpiece, and it’s my favorite Kaufman film. It might just be my favorite film of the 2000s, or close to it, but his last two just haven’t resonated with me like his others. But both really need a rewatch.

It's due for a rewatch, but somehow going in, knowing that they had a shitty plan for that scene (one benefit for hearing reviews first, I guess), somehow made it seem like it wasn't as big of a deal for me (and I knew it was coming). I think by the time I finally saw it, I had heard that there were some scenes where the logic of the appearance of the entity doesn't really make sense, so I guess I went in with that knowledge baked in. Expectations and all.

WARNING: "The Pool Scene" spoilers below
One read of the pool scene that's being brought up here that I had never considered (and still don't) is that they actually killed the entity and a different one is what followed them later. I always just took it as the manifestation of the existential crisis of life. i.e. The slow creeping of death coming towards you. So everything they do may be able to slow it down, but it'll never be able to stop it. Granted, I don't think anything in that read will change your opinion of your objections.

Ultimately, I think your correct, and my nit picking over that dumb scene shouldn't be that relevant.

Which is why I'm slowly course correcting on the idea that it's more the tone that is bothering me. There is something about that scene that feels so slapdash, where the rest of the film is so considered. It drives me crazy. It feels like its from a different movie. It's a sacrilege considering how good everything else is. How everything else feels so much a part of the same experience.

So while it doesn't undermine that actual point of the whole movie, it still is kicking me out of its headspace and making me no longer identify it. And as a result, the characters feel more artificial. More a construct of the story that is trying to be told. Which is a great great sin.