Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I saw Croupier years ago; I think it was the first time I heard of Clive Owen. You're right, it's a great, underappreciated film. I think this is the first time I've seen it mentioned since I saw it.

Guardians of the Galaxy (USA 2014) ~ 6.5/10

Yeah this movie was fun and entertaining but not the best Marvel movie made. I dont think you can compare it to "X-Men", "The Avengers", or even "Spiderman" franchises. They are all stand alone.

However, I have one thing to say......

I am Groot!

Hmm did anyone stay to see the "easter egg" at the end????

Bad Words (2014)

Bad Words is a funny and entertaining movie starring Jason Bateman.

It does to the spelling bee what Bad Santa did to Christmas, and the result is hilarious, even though not as hilarious or daring as the latter.

Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014)

The crazy sweeping shots reminded me of what it was like to have motion sickness when I was a kid. The timing of the movie seems to suggest the animators were on speed. The plot was quite predictable. The puns made me facepalm. The soundtrack was bland and forgettable.

Overall, the movie was quite... fun! Despite all its flaws it manages to successfully convey a simple story through a visual rollercoaster. The energy of the movie makes one feel like a kid again and that counts for something (even if it includes the sickness).

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Guardians of the Galaxy

A common leak in my game is that I get far too excited for movies. Akin to a child looking forward to Christmas, these are often Dec. 25th's scattered throughout the calendar year. If a movie doesn't meet my expectations, a sour taste will occur, regardless of what merits it truly has. Guardians is the first one I can remember in a while that delivered on them all and added a cherry.

Simply put, this is popcorn done right. I will preface the inevitable comparisons with this. Joss Whedon had a tall task in making Avengers, due in part to having to combine all the mythos that went with the characters. Gunn's hands were not bound by that task and it shows. I enjoyed GotG more than Avengers or any other Marvel film yet.

With no restraint to a preconceived mainstream notion, Gunn has created a true amusement ride. A movie where there was not a moment I wanted off and left me wanting to ride again. He didn't wasted the opportunity he was afforded.

Divergent (2014)

Critics call it formulaic. I agree. When you strip everything else, what this movie is at its core is another story of ridiculously good-looking, young people doing unprecedented, cool stuff, and fighting the system, which speaks directly to the rebellious, naive and vain mind of your average teenager. In my opinion, the source material is probably more to blame for that than the movie itself.

This flick had the misfortune of being released significantly after Hunger Games, which is what people consistently compare it to and call it worse than. I'm fairly convinced that the situation would have been opposite had Divergent been made before Hunger Games, but that's just a speculation.

Here's a fact: Even if the basic idea of the movie should be more polished, the execution is really good. The acting is good, the action scenes are impressive but they are not over-the-top and crazy beyond belief, which in the era of Michael Bay, is appreciated. The story, such as it is, is well-told. The vision of the future seems realistic enough to get immersed in. Everything is held together by an outstandingly great soundtrack.

All in all, I feel this one is greatly underrated.

Croupier suffered the same fate as The Last Seduction. That of being broardcast before getting a cinematic release, disqualifying it from the Oscars and its, rightful, greater reputation now. In the 90's, both of these were well known and, because of the non-Oscar stuff, a bit of a cause celebre.

And just because Yasashii's review made me think of it.

The last movie I saw was Mother India , And this Movie doesnt need any rating,It is one of the Movies that makes u relate to , and shakes u at the root level.

V for Vendetta (2005)

Very well made film with a good story, and good performances from a strong cast. It's darker than I thought it would be, more for adults than it is for children. It doesn't rely as much on action and special effects as I thought it would, but it's very good when it comes. The violence is also more brutal than other movies like this, giving it a more realistic feel. I think I'd like it even more a second time around. Extra points for playing Street Fighting Man over the closing credits-very cool.

I watched V for Vendetta a couple of months ago at someone's recommendation. I expected it to be more comic book style entertainment.

I found it worked on many different levels. The movie was quite sophisticated in it's use of symbolism to get across a rather provocative message. The 'train packed full of explosives' scene is a scenario that IMO ask the viewer, 'how far would you go for your cause?' A dangerous premise when you consider the scene and real world events.

I liked V for Vendatta and would agree with Cricket, it would be even better than second time around.

V for Vendetta (2005)

Very well made film with a good story, and good performances from a strong cast. It's darker than I thought it would be, more for adults than it is for children. It doesn't rely as much on action and special effects as I thought it would, but it's very good when it comes. The violence is also more brutal than other movies like this, giving it a more realistic feel. I think I'd like it even more a second time around. Extra points for playing Street Fighting Man over the closing credits-very cool.

A favorite of mine Glad you like it !

Held up pretty well after all these years. Sure the plot was a lot less well executed then I remember, but the premise of a ship of Martians invading after mistaking a rerun of the Orson Welles' War of the World radio broadcast for the real deal is actually pretty clever. Most of the jokes still work. So yeah if you are a parent this might entertain the kiddies for a little bit.

I forgot to mention that Sharknado has dove in head first into my bottom 10.
Shocking. I never understood the so bad its good mentality but to each their own. I mean I have even heard some people like that 70's schlock fest House.

I never understood the so bad its good mentality but to each their own.

I like 'bad' B budget Sci Fi-Monster films, especially from the 50s and 60s....they're like fast food, not good for the body but fun to consume.