The Block- and Ignore-Button in Forums?

Tools    

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
As far as i remember, the only thing those Ignore- and Block-Buttons are good for, is to go and post things like "I am going to put this guy on my ignore-list now!" while they aren´t doing it after all in the most cases and even if they do, they´re often removing the block soon afterwards.

I have never used this feature and also never even thought about using it, simply because a spammer is anyway identified and banned asap and if i don´t like certain users or what someone is saying, i can just ignore their posts and move on to the next, without using any buttons or lists.

Regarding the results of my online-investigations as to what kind of people are often using those block- and ignore-features, i would say it is mostly "mentally weak" people.

So what actually is a "mentally weak" individual?

As one of the examples, i could mention those people, who actually tend to visit threads (or talk to certain users) where they exactly know they end up being angry, but can´t stand the pressure of "not visiting provocative threads" or "not talking to user x" and so they do it over and over again, getting angry over and over again until they find no other way but hitting the block/ignore button.

If some ain´t mentally strong enough to handle another users opinion, they hit the button too, regardless if the "majority" of a forum shares the same opinion or not.

Funniest thing is, most of those who are constantly or often hitting the button, are removing users from their list again, just to see if "user x" is still "provoking".

Now, I will NOT ask as to who in here has used the block/ignore button already.

I haven't blocked anyone here because everyone here is super cool. Also, this site has really good moderation so I don't find it necessary. I have blocked users on another forum because there are some deranged trolls and nasty bullies on the internet and it sometimes becomes necessary on certain forums.

I don't block people for obvious reasons, and maybe your qualifier "most" covers this, assuming I take it at face value, but I definitely think there are reasons to block people that aren't indicative of any kind of mental weakness. Frankly I think a need to dispute someone or something every time it crops up indicates mental weakness just as much.

Sometimes people just wanna talk about movies and not listen to the same axe grinding over and over. I think it would be mental weakness if someone couldn't handle disagreement right off the bat. But if they've seen enough of someone to determine they're not going to say anything else/new, it can be warranted.

Mental toughness is continually taking in thoughtful disagreement and learning from it somehow, not subjecting yourself to the same argument you've already thoroughly considered (or debunked).

...Regarding the results of my online-investigations as to what kind of people are often using those block- and ignore-features, i would say it is mostly "mentally weak" people...
What you wrote tells me that you have a fear of not being heard and are overly concerned that some might block you turning you 'invisible'.

I have blocked users on another forum because there are some deranged trolls and nasty bullies on the internet
What were they doing exactly or what does someone have to do in order that you end up blocking him?

Some people get into discussions and end up blocking the other user, because they aren´t happy with how the discussion ended. Some people only use the block-button because they are butthurt drama-queens.

Also, why do certain users always inform the public when they are blocking another user? Why don´t they just hit the button and forget about it?

Frankly I think a need to dispute someone or something every time it crops up indicates mental weakness just as much.
That´s a good and valid point.

Sometimes people just wanna talk about movies and not listen to the same axe grinding over and over.
There are some people who only want to talk about movies but too often end up in "axe-grinding"-threads and at times also complain about the axe-grinding there.

What´s the point with entering an "axe-grinding"-thread, comlaining about the axe-grinding there, when they as well just could stay out of it or just leave it and never come back again?

Or do they only complain about the "axe-grinding" when they got the feeling they might have "lost" it to another "axe-wielder"?

What you wrote tells me that you have a fear of not being heard and are overly concerned that some might block you turning you 'invisible'.
What you wrote tells me that you are overly interested in other users and the reason for this might be you having no life at all or being too bored with your life, so you sit there making this completely irrelevant online-analysis, not serving any purpose besides wasting some time.

Or in other words....

You really shouldn´t do this psychological online-analysis, being based on just one single thread and one comment only.

What were they doing exactly or what does someone have to do in order that you end up blocking him?

Some people get into discussions and end up blocking the other user, because they aren´t happy with how the discussion ended. Some people only use the block-button because they are butthurt drama-queens.

Also, why do certain users always inform the public when they are blocking another user? Why don´t they just hit the button and forget about it?
I don't remember exactly what they said, but it was unprovoked insults and meanness. I wouldn't block someone just because of an argument or disagreement. I don't know why some people announce when they block someone, as I never do.

In general, I'd say I "never" use them - my outlook is that open forums are for people who want to communicate with others - and blocking or ignoring is the opposite of that.

However, a few years ago I joined a local-area web site... and I found I'd get between 3 - 7 email notifications of new messages on the site daily - I'd open them to find they were from the same person, every... single... day. And they were usually generic religious messages or Biblical quotes (which I don't mind, but I really don't need to be reminded that Jesus loves me 3 - 7 times a day from the same person). So I blocked them (which only means I won't get an e-mail notification every time they post on this particular site - which I believe is how the general preference is set up - you get an email whenever a new post / thread is started).

Again, that local site can be used for discussion, but it's primarily a place to post local news, make announcements, ask questions of neighbors, post items for free or for sale, advertise garage sales, etc. In other words, it's not just a discussion forum.

...What you wrote tells me that you are overly interested in other users and the reason for this might be you having no life at all or being too bored with your life, so you sit there making this completely irrelevant online-analysis, not serving any purpose besides wasting some time.

Or in other words....

You really shouldn´t do this psychological online-analysis, being based on just one single thread and one comment only.
Now, I know why you recently said that you've been banned on multiple boards.

....Oh my! LOL! I got accused of being a "troll" along with being banned, in more forums than i can actually count!
First you create a thread so you can broadcast insulting opinions about people who use the ignore feature, calling them 'mentally weak'. Then when I point out that you sound concerned about being on someone's block list, you hurl personal insults at me...btw you should read MoFo's posting rules.

Oh, feel free to have the last word.

In general, I'd say I "never" use them - my outlook is that open forums are for people who want to communicate with others - and blocking or ignoring is the opposite of that.
I've never in 25 years of posting needed to use the ignore feature. Though there are people who I mental ignore by not reading their post, I might still respond to a thread they created but I don't waste my time engaging with trolls and those who are habitually disingenuous.

*I don't want anyone to think I meant my friend Cap Steel We've known each other from posting on two different boards going back 10 years? Or was it longer?

I have 12 people in my ignore list, the vast majority of whom are long gone from this site. One or two pests remain so they’ll always be in ignore.

Now, I know why you recently said that you've been banned on multiple boards..
So?

Well, why did i recently said that i´ve been banned on multiple boards?

First you create a thread so you can broadcast insulting opinions about people who use the ignore feature, calling them 'mentally weak'. .
If this thread is insulting to you, why are you participating in it and what are you trying to achieve here then?

calling them 'mentally weak'
Are you aware how many traits a "mentally weak" person has to show in order to be a through and through complete "mentally weak" person and that there aren´t "mentally weak" people at all?

There in fact aren´t just "mentally weak" and "mentally strong" people coz everyone has his mentally weak traits as well as mentally strong ones somewhere.

Then when I point out that you sound concerned about being on someone's block list,
You only replied in this (insulting) thread because of me, to point things out?

Could it be you probably just felt for insulting someone, just the way you felt insulted by this thread? You obviously came here to make me the target of interest here, rather than the actual topic.

you hurl personal insults at me.
You don´t even see it, do you?

I just did the same thing as you did. I made a "psycho-analysis", based on one single post (your post) and this also means that my analysis can be completely wrong (just like yours), but you took it as an insult.

So lets face it:

.) You came into a thread, you think is insulting.

.) You instantly start "analyzing" me.

.) Then i am doing the exact same thing to you and you are feeling insulted.

The reason for as to why you are feeling insulted, could probably be that your little "analysis" was an attempt to insult me, so of course you feel insulted when i do the same thing to you.

Oh, feel free to have the last word.
Why did you even talk to me?

If this thread is insulting to you, why are you participating in it and what are you trying to achieve here then?
This is a strange question. Aren't both answers self-evident? People respond to insults to take issue with them. This is completely normal and should not need to be explained.

Are you aware how many traits a "mentally weak" person has to show in order to be a through and through complete "mentally weak" person and that there aren´t "mentally weak" people at all?

There in fact aren´t just "mentally weak" and "mentally strong" people coz everyone has his mentally weak traits as well as mentally strong ones somewhere.
This is true, and a good point, but I think the idea here is that just saying "mentally weak" in the first place probably came off as a lot more aggressive than you intended, perhaps? I can't tell if you're ESL, if perhaps a language barrier is contributing to this stuff, however. That might explain a few things.

You obviously came here to make me the target of interest here, rather than the actual topic.
I don't think this makes sense, since a huge portion of your initial post was not about "the actual topic," but your personal opinions about why people block. I'd go as far as to say it was probably the real reason for the creation of the thread in the first place. But whether it was or not, it's a prominent part of what said and not really severable from the concept.

It should be totally unsurprising that the commentary you attached to the concept is getting a response, and it in no way suggests anyone is going out of their way to make you the "target of interest."

I've never in 25 years of posting needed to use the ignore feature. Though there are people who I mental ignore by not reading their post,
That´s all what it needs, in my opinion.

I would only block/ignore spammers, but they´re good as instantly banned, so no need to block/ignore anyone at all.

I have 12 people in my ignore list, the vast majority of whom are long gone from this site. One or two pests remain so they’ll always be in ignore.
You go back to check your ignore-list, to see who is gone and who is still here? I mean, if you ignore/block someone, you shouldn´t even care where those users are?

If someone really makes use of the ignore-feature, then it´s his thing of course, but what i absolutely can´t understand is those users who always have to inform the public about who they just have set onto their ignore-list. Why would someone do such a thing? To collect likes/upvotes? Is there a general interest in forums, to see who got blocked/ignored by whom?

So you’d know they weren’t ignoring you of course!
Well he was ignoring the topic here and decided to focus on me instead.

You go back to check your ignore-list, to see who is gone and who is still here? I mean, if you ignore/block someone, you shouldn´t even care where those users are?
I’m sorry, but what do you care?

I have never blocked anybody but have been blocked more than a few times.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I should change the block system so you still see "the post" but it's got those cool redacted marker lines over everything. And then maybe you get to see every 14th word or something. Just to entice people.

People respond to insults to take issue with them.
If someone participates in a "discussion" and leaves with saying "Feel free to have the last word." then this doesn´t really look like "taking issue" to me.

This is true, and a good point, but I think the idea here is that just saying "mentally weak" in the first place probably came off as a lot more aggressive than you intended, perhaps?
My motherlanguage is german, we always talk aggressively.

I don't think this makes sense, since a huge portion of your initial post was not about "the actual topic," but your personal opinions about why people block.
I am questioning the block/ignore feature in forums, of course i am also giving my personal opinion about it, also regarding certain types of users who think they have to inform the public community about when they are blocking which users.

This in fact means, i am not talking about those users who just block users and move on with their life as they are supposed to, without making it a big deal.

It should be totally unsurprising that the commentary you attached to the concept is getting a response,
Why do people make threads?

To get responses maybe?

There are several ways to "motivate" people to respond to a thread.

Now some people were responding with talking about the topic, some made me the topic, i am fine with both as long people are aware of what they are doing, i mean no one is forced to click and reply to threads, so if someone has a problem with me or my thread(s), please use the block/ignore-button!

I’m sorry, but what do you care?
You posted something and this was my response to it.

have been blocked more than a few times.
What unspeakable, terrible things have you done???

Well you´re still here, that means you´re hardly a troll and for sure no spammer.