I could not stand Suicide Squad.

Tools    

Thoughts on Suicide Squad? Personally, i found it poorly shot, lit, edited, and written. The characters often act irrationally, and they did a horrible portrayal of the Joker, reducing him to down to pre-teen, puberty-induced, hormone-fueled edgelord sex symbol.

Master of My Domain
The trailer looked liked garbage so I didn't even attempt to watch it. Reviews suggest that my hunch was right.

Welcome to the human race...
This was my review. Needless to say, I think I may have overrated it.

Speaking of which, I watched this recently and liked it.

I literally just watched that,lol.

I really find this hard to believe, I loved Leto's joker and think he harnessed an incredible sinister realism, that I wondered if the face paint made him more or less scary. I honestly had no expectation and that's why I think I was able to appreciate it and I don't give a **** about comic books or think "The Dark Knight" was that great.. at one point I thought man this character is deranged, temporarily forgetting he had deranged tattooed on his forehead, Leto watched tons of disturbing youtube videos before filming and all that other crazy stuff, I've never seen anything like it.

There could of been an excellent film with Joker as the main bad guy, I doubt it will ever be though.

This bearded scruff bag just told me "Arrival" has a supernatural twist, wtf.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I did love Margot Robbie. Harley Quinn is a character who has been underrated for so long, and I can't believe it took over 20 years for the character to be portrayed on the big or small screen (that Arrow cameo was too lame to be counted).

It makes me excited for Gotham City Sirens. And I liked Leto, as well.

As for SS, it was okay. Nowhere near as bad as people tried to make it out to be, in my opinion, although it had noticeable room for improvement. I wish they had given Ayer freedom to do what he liked with this, because the very first teaser trailer for this looked incredible.

I think Suicide Squad is mediocre at best. The execution of the plot is uninteresting and vague, the same old formula. The characters are poorly done, maybe except for Harley and the Joker. However, we didn't see much of the Joker on screen. As for CGI and editing, i think that part was solid.

The problem is the legacy of Nolan's movies.

The DCEU is not going for a portrayal of "what if this was real" like Nolan did. The DCEU is a comic-book take on the comic books.
Suspension of disbelief is the key to enjoying the new Batman and Superman movies. If you go in with the mindset as Nolan's movies, then yes, MoS, BvS and Suicide Squad won't seem as good.

I agree though that Suicide Squad wasn't as strong as the trailers pointed at, but I found I enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing.

Welcome to the human race...
I really find this hard to believe, I loved Leto's joker and think he harnessed an incredible sinister realism, that I wondered if the face paint made him more or less scary. I honestly had no expectation and that's why I think I was able to appreciate it and I don't give a **** about comic books or think "The Dark Knight" was that great.. at one point I thought man this character is deranged, temporarily forgetting he had deranged tattooed on his forehead, Leto watched tons of disturbing youtube videos before filming and all that other crazy stuff, I've never seen anything like it.

There could of been an excellent film with Joker as the main bad guy, I doubt it will ever be though.
I think knowing about Leto's attempts at method acting only served to make his performance seem worse in comparison, like I'm sitting there watching him hiss and growl like a pantomime villain and all I can think is "this was what all the used condoms were for?"

This bearded scruff bag just told me "Arrival" has a supernatural twist, wtf.
Doesn't it?

The problem is the legacy of Nolan's movies.

The DCEU is not going for a portrayal of "what if this was real" like Nolan did. The DCEU is a comic-book take on the comic books.
Suspension of disbelief is the key to enjoying the new Batman and Superman movies. If you go in with the mindset as Nolan's movies, then yes, MoS, BvS and Suicide Squad won't seem as good.

I agree though that Suicide Squad wasn't as strong as the trailers pointed at, but I found I enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing.
I'd expand upon this by saying that another legacy of Nolan's films is how much emphasis they put on the idea of having a Serious Filmmaker With A Vision be the one to make superhero films. The DCEU tried to lean into this in order to differentiate itself from the MCU having a more generic "house style", but picking Zack Snyder as their Serious Filmmaker With A Vision for their Superman movies wasn't the most brilliant idea and undermining David Ayer by heavily re-editing Suicide Squad certainly didn't help their presenting themselves as a "filmmaker-driven" franchise.

It's a total cluster**** and a tacky mess. Margot Robbie was wonderful though.
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

Yeah SS was pretty awful, hopefully DC steps up their game with their two upcoming superhero films.

I just saw this now that it's on cable. One thing struck me - it seemed like the wrong team to take on a mystical, other-dimensional, demonic god-force. The SS would be much more suited to battling terrorists, mobsters, mad-scientist's goons, dictator's armies, superheroes or other super-villains, especially since most of them have no powers, rely on weapons and are street-level fighters. So the whole scenario of the nemesis they are sent to stop seemed odd.

It might have been an overall better movie if these 2nd tier characters went up against some sort of more comparable force.

The most loathsome of all goblins
The trailer looked awful and my friend who was actually excited to see it told me it sucked, so I won't be watching it anytime soon.

That said the trailer did inspire me to search for pics and videos of Margot Robbie, she's adorable.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Suicide Squad wasn't without a talented cast on all fronts, in my opinion, the biggest issue, above all else, I think, was how badly written it was. The dialogue was mediocre, and the characters weren't written well.

The biggest example that I can think of was toward the end of the film, when El Diablo protected the rest of the Squad and said something to the refrain of, "I lost one family, I'm not going to lose another," because it was the biggest example of how shoddy and inorganic everything felt. These characters had no real scenes for themselves to build an emotional bond, spending a handful of hours with one another, and now, here El Diablo is, ready to regard them as his new family. The situation is downright ridiculous.

The characters aren't consistent nor do they feel at all authentic to their situations. Deadshot, a cold assassin, intentionally missed a shot against Harley Quinn, a person he supposedly bonded with, that could've bought his freedom. In a better written film, perhaps this could have been justifiable, but there was no real connection that made this seem like something that this character would actually do.

Everything feels really stupid, and not comic-book stupid, which makes sense if its deliberately imposing a certain theme, so long as its consistent, but downright stupid-stupid.

I didn't get the ending with Captain Boomerang in his cell (while all the others were enjoying some sort of reward.)
I remember in the comics there was this relationship established between Boomerang and Waller - he was a thorn in Waller's side and, throughout the series, he was usually both the conniver and the comic relief. I'm assuming the ending was supposed to be a humorous way to redress Boomerang's place in Waller's heart, but the relationship in the comic never seemed to have been established in the movie.

Another curious note on Boomerang - I don't recall a single one of his throwing weapons ever returning to him in the movie (the one thing boomerangs are known for, even if that reputation is greatly overblown - but since realism is not what this was shooting for, it seemed Captain Boomerang should've also been a great catcher of his weapons, not just a guy who throws things).