Director Dissection with Seanc and Rauldc

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Y’all got any idea what you will start this epicness out with? @seanc @rauldc14

I’ll probably go for 2001 as one of my first ones...
Going for Clockwork Orange on Monday since it's on Netflix. I know 2001 used to be but I think they pulled it

Y’all got any idea what you will start this epicness out with? @seanc @rauldc14

I’ll probably go for 2001 as one of my first ones...
I am going to try my hardest to watch The Shining tonight because it will be another week before I can get to one. I will be out of town for a week so any watching I do will be Netflix or Prime related and more than likely something I can watch around my boys.

I am going to try my hardest to watch The Shining tonight because it will be another week before I can get to one. I will be out of town for a week so any watching I do will be Netflix or Prime related and more than likely something I can watch around my boys.
They need to be introduced to great cinema early on, Sean! Just throw The Shining or Clockwork Orange on!

They need to be introduced to great cinema early on, Sean! Just throw The Shining or Clockwork Orange on!
I don't think so, but I could do 2001 close to bedtime.

I don't think so, but I could do 2001 close to bedtime.
If I had kids I don't think I'd be showing them Clockwork Orange either Unless they were old enough to collect social security

I took a college class in Critical Thinking once back in the late 80s and the instructor wanted the class to choose a movie and discuss it. I picked Clockwork Orange....Damn! I think everyone in the room hated me after we all watched it.

If I had kids I don't think I'd be showing them Clockwork Orange either Unless they were old enough to collect social security

I took a college class in Critical Thinking once back in the late 80s and the instructor wanted the class to choose a movie and discuss it. I picked Clockwork Orange....Damn! I think everyone in the room hated me after we all watched it.
My teacher showed us Clockwork Orange in 7th or 8th grade and no one including myself liked it. I verbally shouted “this is some of the worst I’ve ever seen and I can’t see nothing good about this” Oh was I wrong.

But I’d probably introduce some classics early if I ever have kids. I watch stuff like Robocop, Alien, Jaws and Godfather when I was 9-11 years old or something. Loved them. The only one that was a little much was probably Robocop. I might wait on that.

My teacher showed us Clockwork Orange in 7th or 8th grade and no one including myself liked it. I verbally shouted “this is some of the worst I’ve ever seen and I can’t see nothing good about this” Oh was I wrong.

But I’d probably introduce some classics early if I ever have kids. I watch stuff like Robocop, Alien, Jaws and Godfather when I was 9-11 years old or something. Loved them. The only one that was a little much was probably Robocop. I might wait on that.
Wow 7th graders watching Clockwork Orange, that's pretty advice stuff for middle school. I only watched Godfather recently I should check out Clockwork Orange sometime.

Wow 7th graders watching Clockwork Orange, that's pretty advice stuff for middle school. I only watched Godfather recently I should check out Clockwork Orange sometime.
Thinking about it, it must’ve been 8-9th grade actually. But yeah... he stopped it though because no one liked it.

He showed us Alien and Aliens though in their entirety. I had seen them already though and almost spoiled the surprise because he said it was a documentary on farming and I knew the intro right away.

Anyways, @seanc @rauldc14 looks like I’ll be going with Full Metal Jacket first. seeing that now

My 10 year old loves Jaws. I would show him Godfather if it wasn't for the marriage scene because the violence is pretty cartoonish by today's standards. Clockwork Orange, they will probably be sneaking and watching it before I let them. I think 16 will probably be the age I get more lenient.

Full Metal Jacket

I think what I like best about Full Metal Jacket is the range of the emotions of life. And I think Kubrick did a great job portraying what life in combat was like. It was much preferred to the life shown in the movie Platoon for me, it just seemed more realistic to me.

Anyways Full Metal Jacket has a reputation of being a film with a tale of two halves and admittedly that first half is as close to a masterpiece as it can get. What drives it for me is the magnificent performance of Lee Ermey. It seemed a realistic portrayal of an ******* combat officer, and of course he definitely did his job packing his jokes in. It certainly one of those iconic roles that he is known as being that character.

I also liked Pyle and it was cool to see the development of his character and his decend into madness. The best question the film has to offer is just how much did Ermey's Hartman character play into Pyle going crazy, or was he already that way. Great to see the development of the relationship of Pyle and Joker as well. Joker helped build him up before he broke down.

That one scene, yes we know what scene, is just one of the more powerful yet scary cinematic scenes of all time. Imagine the film ending on that note, honestly it could have and I think the film still would have served it's purpose.

Now this time the second half really seemed to tell a story of soldiers banding together for me, which I hadn't really connected with the first go around, so I got a lot more out of it with a second watch. Like I said before it felt a pretty genuinely realistic portryal of combat faced with brotherhood, tough decisions and yes even laughs.

Mix in a pretty kickass score with some nice cinematography and I would call Full Metal Jacket a favorite movie of the 80s for me. Definitely feels more complete second go around.

+

I agree with everything you said about FMJ. Some of my thoughts:
Full Metal Jacket
I think what I like best about Full Metal Jacket is the range of the emotions of life. And I think Kubrick did a great job portraying what life in combat was like. It was much preferred to the life shown in the movie Platoon for me, it just seemed more realistic to me.
Good point. Platoon shows the horror of the Vietnam war and FMJ shows the emotional impact of that horror. Both are great but neither are my favorite Vietnam war film. I don't know why I like war films but I do

Anyways Full Metal Jacket has a reputation of being a film with a tale of two halves and admittedly that first half is as close to a masterpiece as it can get. What drives it for me is the magnificent performance of Lee Ermey. It seemed a realistic portrayal of an ******* combat officer, and of course he definitely did his job packing his jokes in. It certainly one of those iconic roles that he is known as being that character.
Amen to that! R. Lee Ermey is just great in this, so much so that I sought out some of his other movies just so I could see more of him. I really liked him in the sports bio-pic Prefontaine (1997). If we ever did a sports bio HOF that might be my pick.
I also liked Pyle and it was cool to see the development of his character and his decend into madness. The best question the film has to offer is just how much did Ermey's Hartman character play into Pyle going crazy, or was he already that way...That one scene, yes we know what scene, is just one of the more powerful yet scary cinematic scenes of all time. Imagine the film ending on that note, honestly it could have and I think the film still would have served it's purpose.
It would have been neat if Kubrick had done FMJ as a two part movie. The first part is amazing. I wasn't a big fan on the second part but it sounds like you got more out of the second half on a rewatch, so maybe I do need to rewatch this classic.

A Clockwork Orange

My biggest beef with the film is that I don't find the overall story that compelling to begin with. I don't have to like everything that is going on in a film to appreciate, but like a few films that I've hated on before I always seem to hate movies that try to be cool first and foremost and then they fill in the gaps with everything else. This is one of those films for me.

I really didn't think Malcolm McDowell was anything special and I think that to like the film he has to be special to the viewer. Now obviously I'm fairly alone on this thinking as he has gotten a lot of praise for this film before.

And why in the hell did the writer name his story Clockwork Orange? I think that was a bit silly.

There are definitely scenes that you could say had a nice Kubrick touch to them, but overall this is my least favorite of his. Admittedly I'm not even sure what the hell is going on in some parts of the movies, but also admittedly I'm not sure that I care either. Not that I liked Eyes Wide Shut but I think that had better sexual themes than this film as he seems to be a director quite obsessed with it.

I wish I could talk a bit more intelligently about this film without just calling it overrated for overrateds sakes. But between performances I don't care for and a rather blandish story that's where I seem to sit with this.

I completely understand someone hating this film. It is very unpleasant. Even when that is intentional, it's still off putting.