Golden Age Comedy Hall of Fame (1952-1976)

Tools    

My voting list:

1 Some Like it Hot
2 Young Frankenstein
3 Dr. Strangelove
4 What's Up Doc
5 Pillow Talk
6 Charade
7 Singing in the Rain
8 Hobson's Choice
9 A Shot in the Dark
10 Teacher's Pet
11 The Odd Couple
12 Divorce American Style
13 Blazing Saddles
14 Murder by Death

Thanks, Siddon, for running this fun HOF. It's too bad we couldn't have gotten more participants.

It would be interesting to see how the general membership would rank these films. Some might like to vote, but don't like writing reviews.

It's doubtful that most of us are all that interested in the other participants' lists, but FWIW I'll post mine. I never think of "Singing" and "Divorce" as comedies, although they certainly are a form of comedy.

I think that many of our choices are generation related. For example today's youth might watch Blazing Saddles, and be horrified at some of the gags. But it was a riot in 1974. Conversely Baby Boomers might look at instances of current humor, and have to really work their imaginations to understand how it's considered funny.

1. Dr. Strangelove
2. What's Up Doc?
3. Young Frankenstein
4. A Shot in the Dark
5. Pillow Talk
6. Some Like it Hot
7. Blazing Saddles
The Odd Couple
Teacher’s Pet
10.Murder By Death
Hobson's Choice
Charade
Singin’ in the Rain
14. Divorce American Style

Who put Young Frankenstein at 14?
I hope it wasn't a case of strategic voting, I just calculated the points and it took Young Frankenstein being at 14 to keep it from beating Dr Strangelove. Congratulations for winning Siddon, how about posting your voting list.

Who put Young Frankenstein at 14?
I hope it wasn't a case of strategic voting, I just calculated the points and it took Young Frankenstein being at 14 to keep it from beating Dr Strangelove. Congratulations for winning Siddon, how about posting your voting list.
That would be a pity if it did happen, even if I think Strangelove totally deserved it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
it was a VERY tight race since the top four were all separated by 1 point.

I think my list fairly encapsulates my comedic sensibilities.
1. Doctor Strangelove
2. Singing in the Rain
3. Charade
4. Murder by Death
5. Teachers Pet
6. The Odd Couple
7. Some Like it Hot
8. Young Frankenstein
9. Pillow Talk
10.Hobson's Choice
11. Blazing Saddles
12. Divorce American Style
13. A Shot in the Dark
14. Whats Up Doc

I think my list fairly encapsulates my comedic sensibilities.
1. Doctor Strangelove
2. Singing in the Rain
3. Charade
4. Murder by Death
5. Teachers Pet
6. The Odd Couple
7. Some Like it Hot
8. Young Frankenstein
9. Pillow Talk
10.Hobson's Choice
11. Blazing Saddles
12. Divorce American Style
13. A Shot in the Dark
14. Whats Up Doc
Thank you.

I wish everyone in all HoFs would post their list after the reveal. I know Raul posted all of them once in an Animated HoF. I think I'm going to do that in the 20th.

Damn fun HoF! Thanks Siddon, I have to admit your idea is working great. I didn't think a series of comedy HoFs would work because the last Comedy HoF we tried failed and was never finished...and it seems MoFos are always saying how they don't like comedies...But you proved it could be done and for that I say

So when's the next Comedy HoF? I'm ready to go right now!

Next week, after Raul's Japanese Hall reveal it's going to 1977-1989, and the one after that will be 1990-2010

1st - 37 years
2nd - 24 years
3rd - 14 years
4th - 20 years

feel free to PM me nominations for the next one

Damn fun HoF! Thanks Siddon, I have to admit your idea is working great. I didn't think a series of comedy HoFs would work because the last Comedy HoF we tried failed and was never finished...and it seems MoFos are always saying how they don't like comedies...But you proved it could be done and for that I say

So when's the next Comedy HoF? I'm ready to go right now!

Next week, after Raul's Japanese Hall reveal it's going to 1977-1989, and the one after that will be 1990-2010

1st - 37 years
2nd - 24 years
3rd - 14 years
4th - 20 years

Why not 1990-present?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Who put Young Frankenstein at 14? Bless them
That would be a pity if it did happen, even if I think Strangelove totally deserved it.

I was the one who put Young Frankenstein at #14. It wasn't strategic voting. I just wasn't a big fan of the movie.

However, I did think this was a great HoF. I didn't dislike any of the movies in this HoF, and there were even a few movies that I've seen many times before that I got a chance to look at in a new light because I never really thought of them as comedies. It's always a plus when I can find new things in movies that I already love.

I'm sorry that I missed the end of the countdown, and I didn't post my list earlier, but as I said in a different thread, my computer crashed a few days ago, and I just got back up and running tonight.

This was my list:

1) Singin' in the Rain (1952)
2) Charade (1963)
3) Pillow Talk (1959)
4) Teacher's Pet (1958)
5) Murder by Death (1976)
6) Divorce American Style (1967)
7) What's Up Doc? (1972)
8) Hobson's Choice (1954)
9) Some Like it Hot (1959)
10) Blazing Saddles (1974)
11) The Odd Couple (1968)
12) Doctor Strangelove (1964)
13) A Shot in the Dark (1974)
14) Young Frankenstein (1974)

1st - 37 years
2nd - 24 years
3rd - 14 years
4th - 20 years

I'm looking forward to the next comedy HoF, whatever years it ends up being.

I'll probably join, but it depends on what's going on in my life around that time. (This year has been like a very bad roller coaster ride for me. )

I'm looking forward to the next comedy HoF, whatever years it ends up being.

I'll probably join, but it depends on what's going on in my life around that time. (This year has been like a very bad roller coaster ride for me. )

1977-1989 is definitely the next one so if you have noms and want to get something that might win or make you happy feel free to PM.

Citizen Rules already sent in his two noms

1977-1989 is definitely the next one so if you have noms and want to get something that might win or make you happy feel free to PM.

I'm sure that whatever I nominate won't win, but hopefully people will at least like my nom(s).

I'll think about what movies to nominate, and I'll let you know when I decide.

It might be that the closer the comedy HOFs get to the present day, the more people could be inclined to participate.

To my taste, I can think of 3-4 good comedies from the '80s, e.g. But many of the ones that have been skipped, its likely that the desire to see them probably wasn't there, so I may have to bow out of the next HOF.

~Doc