A Haunting in Venice (2023)

Along Came Polly (2004)

Sleeping Dogs (2024)

Immaculate (2024)

Late Night with the Devil (2023-2024)

Boldly going.
Poor things
6/10
If Mary Shelley had been on acid when she wrote the portion of her book about the bride of Frankenstein...

WARNING: "Godwin" spoilers below
When they had Alfie sedated, I thought they were going to transplant Godwin's brain into him, rather than the brain of a goat.

I went and saw the new horror film Abigail today. Abigail is wildly entertaining and bloody good fun. Alisha Weir is fantastic in a delightfully demented and brilliant performance. The rest of the cast are good too. Abigail is my pick for the best horror film of the year so far. I would rank Abigail as the second best film of 2024 (after Dune Part Two).

I went and saw the new horror film Abigail today. Abigail is wildly entertaining and bloody good fun. Alisha Weir is fantastic in a delightfully demented and brilliant performance. The rest of the cast are good too. Abigail is my pick for the best horror film of the year so far. I would rank Abigail as the second best film of 2024
I enjoyed it quite a bit, too. I think Melissa Barrera and Kathryn Newton are both terrific in everything they're in. So glad they got to work together.

WARNING: "Abigail spoiler" spoilers below
Sad that Giancarlo Esposito won't be around if they make a sequel...

The War Zone (1999)

A really rather depressing film based on a little-known novel about incest and just as important, control. I'll talk about the film in wider terms as there are several scenes that are so hard to get through. The film is shot beautifully around the London family that have moved to the south coast. Mum Dad, Daughter and Son (and baby on the way) they all feel alienation in some way and it's never made clear why they moved. Dads constantly on the phone trying to make unidentified deals and the son has been kicked out of 2 schools so it could be financial. The son starts to suspect improper behaviour but his bond with his big sis and a general taciturn manner sees him try and cease it without rocking the boat...unsuccessfully. It's an amazing work from Tim Roth, deeply disturbing. Ray Winstone has your eyes glued to this, Lara Belmont I'm surprised didn't do a lot more work in film, Freddie Cunliffe (only appearance I think) plays the troubled son perfectly. Not a nice watch or even a rewarding one but a real statement.
No rating.

Armageddon Time -

This refreshingly non-nostalgic coming of age tale reminds us that all Americans may be created equally, but some are more equal than others. In Paul (Repeta), the Jewish aspiring artist who is essentially the young writer/director James Gray, we get a painfully accurate portrait of what it's like when too few authority figures and peers believe in or relate to you. By the same token, the sensation of relief the movie captures when someone like this finds others on their side could not be more authentic. In Anthony Hopkins' grandfather, Aaron, we get the kind of encouragement and advice we all wish we received whether or not we were in Paul's shoes, which wisely favors truth over sentimentality. Speaking of, with a last name like Graff, which Aaron changed from Rabinowitz at Ellis Island (director Gray's actual last name is also Russian Jewish, by the way) - Paul can hide his ethnicity, shame notwithstanding. The same cannot be said of Paul's friend Jonathan (Webb), the lone black kid in his class whose similar lack of support in his dream of going to space also makes him feel hopeless. The friends' attempts to stick it to their oppressors and eke some fun out of their situations are enjoyable for how they mirror Gray's experiences and for how they reference the classic movies that inspired him. There is more than one loving nod to a certain Truffaut movie you are probably thinking about now, for instance. This also means that the moment when dividing lines appear between the friends once Paul switches to a private and even more conformist school define heartbreak. James Gray is a favorite director of mine because his movies seem like analog ones in a digital world, which is also the case here even though it's the first movie he filmed with digital cameras. Shooting in the Queens of his youth helps, as does the strong period accuracy and "lived in" quality of Paul's house and his schools. There's also the A-list talent, which besides the reliable Hopkins features Anne Hathaway's standout work as Paul's concerned mother.

This movie successfully proves that having a generally reviled background and unpopular ambitions might make one an object of derision, but the oppressors have little power against encouragement and a helping hand. It also proves that not everyone is fortunate to have such advantages, sadly. It ends up being a movie that demonstrates why Grey is one of our best active filmmakers and that some things from the '80s are not worth being nostalgic over, especially since we’re still learning how to cope with them today. Speaking of, and hopefully not to spoil it too much, but wait until you discover the benefactors of Paul's new school.

Coup de chance (2023)

This is Woody Allen’s 50th film, and I’ve seen every one of them. I’d place this picture somewhere in the middle of his films in terms of quality. It’s a bit of an odd sensation watching an Allenesque urban drama while reading subtitles. In that way the movie loses something in translation. There are many of the same interpersonal and emotional interactions between the sexes, and among group members of social gatherings, that we’ve become accustomed to in a Woody Allen big city picture; but not hearing and understanding the dialogue in familiar English takes a little of the fragrance away from the rose.

The story is simple enough. A happily married woman wedded to a wealthy finance manager has a chance run in with a man who she knew when attending high school. He reveals to her that he had a crush on her then that he still carries. She agrees to meet for lunch. She eventually is smitten, and they commence an affair. Her husband begins to suspect his wife’s infidelity, and the story winds along from there, which has a couple of twists and a surprise ending.

This is a very competent picture, but it slightly suffers from its vague sense of familiarity: a meeting, an affair, husband’s involvement, denouement. It’s advertised as a comedy-drama thriller, but with few chuckles --unusual for an Allen screenplay-- it’s really more drama thriller, with the emphasis on drama. Mention must be made of the excellent cinematography by Vittorio Storaro (Apocalypse Now; The Last Emperor). Paris is a classically beautiful city, and Storaro frames some of the scenes as would be portrayed in a fine painting.

I wish Allen would be welcomed back into the U.S. film industry. It’s anyone’s guess how many more movies he has left in him, but surely he best expresses his screenplays in the American idiom.

Doc’s rating: 6/10

Late Night with the Devil (2023)

I was quite looking forward to this the story of demonic possession and ratings wars. Overall it was nice and atmospheric but a bit stilted. The story is good if a bit predictable and all performances are good. Bizarrely it reminded me of an episode of "Inside Number 9" (UK TV prog made by the Reese Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, the League of Getlemen chaps) that was based on a family quiz show, very similar vibes/design/direction.

The War Zone (1999)

A really rather depressing film based on a little-known novel about incest and just as important, control. I'll talk about the film in wider terms as there are several scenes that are so hard to get through. The film is shot beautifully around the London family that have moved to the south coast. Mum Dad, Daughter and Son (and baby on the way) they all feel alienation in some way and it's never made clear why they moved. Dads constantly on the phone trying to make unidentified deals and the son has been kicked out of 2 schools so it could be financial. The son starts to suspect improper behaviour but his bond with his big sis and a general taciturn manner sees him try and cease it without rocking the boat...unsuccessfully. It's an amazing work from Tim Roth, deeply disturbing. Ray Winstone has your eyes glued to this, Lara Belmont I'm surprised didn't do a lot more work in film, Freddie Cunliffe (only appearance I think) plays the troubled son perfectly. Not a nice watch or even a rewarding one but a real statement.
No rating.
Book & movIe good.

Re-watch. Good movie. Eckhart very good as per.

Very early Ken Loach.

Nutty, but I did finish it. Nice to see Brooklyn Prince of the Florida Project now that she’s a teenager. Turning into a very pretty girl & a good actor.

Re-watch. Good movie. Eckhart very good as per.

Very early Ken Loach.

Nutty, but I did finish it. Nice to see Brooklyn Prince of the Florida Project now that she’s a teenager. Turning into a very pretty girl & a good actor.
Love, love, love, love Thank You for Smoking....a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...r_smoking.html

5th Rewatch...A classy performance from the always reliable Gene Hackman raises the bar on this feel good sports comedy playing a former football coach given the opportunity to recruit his own scab football team after a fictional team goes on strike, pinning his hopes on a has been quarterback (Keanu Reeves) who left football after a disastrous showing in the '96 Sugar Bowl. I never get tired of watching this movie.

1st Rewatch...There is some entertainment value in this quirky comedy despite a giant plot hole I still have been unable to reconcile. Duncan Thompson is an English college professor who is obsessed with a rock singer named Tucker Crowe, who walked away from his career 20 years ago for a plethora of reasons. We then learn that Duncan's girlfriend, has been in an online relationship with Tucker for years and has been keeping it a secret from Duncan, but things get complicated when Tucker contacts Annie and lets her know that he is en route to London with one of his several children from his multiple marriages and relationships. The story definitely has a spark of originality but I've never understood why Annie keeps her relationship with Tucker a secret from Duncan. Chris O'Dowd brings a loopy quality to Duncan that is kind of endearing, but the real reason this film is worth a look is the gutsy, Oscar-worthy performance from Ethan Hawke as the burnt out rock and roller now working on being the best parent he possibly can.

1st Rewatch....Remember when Enimem was the hottest music star on the planet? Well, Hollywood tried to cash in on his success with this moody drama with music which didn't require much from the white rapper except being himself. He plays a Detroit factory named Rabbit whose real dream is to be a rapper, but is sadly surrounded by a posse of losers who drag him down and a real lack of self-esteem, not to mention family issues like his trailer trash mom who is now in a relationship with a guy he went to high school with. The script is cliche-ridden, including the opening rap battle where he actually vomits before he goes onstage (I'm so tired of movie scenes where performers vomit before going onstage) and once he gets onstage, freezes. The screenplay takes too long to show the viewer that the guy does know how to rap. The film does benefit from stylish and uncompromising direction from Oscar winner Curtis Hansen, but it doesn't disguise screenplay deficiencies and the ending is a bit of a cop-out. Kim Basinger is an eye-opener as Rabbit's mom as is Michael Shannon as her boyfriend. The song the star performs during the closing credits, "Lose Yourself" won the Oscar for Best Song.

1st Rewatch...Fans of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World will have a head start with this big budget action comedy that is, incredibly based on a true story. Hoagie, Chilly, Callahan, Jerry, and Sable have been playing tag ever since they were children. They are grown up now, but every year during the month of May, they drop whatever they are during and resume the game. This year Hoagie, Chilly, Callahan, and Sable meet on their own to plan a strategy to tag Jerry because in their entire history of tag, they have never been able to tag Jerry, but they think they can do it this year because Jerry is getting married and they know exactly where he's going to be. Throw into the mix Hoagie's wife, who wants to be in the game but no girls are allowed, Jerry's fiancee Susan who has no problem with the game as long as it doesn't disrupt her wedding, and a pretty reporter from the Wall Street Journal wo blows off her interview with Callahan to follow the game. Love the crafting of the screenplay, which provides backstory for these guys in bits and starts without slowing the story at hand. We know Jerry is going to get tagged, but the journey to it makes some beautifully unexpected turns that keep us on the edge of our seats, doubled over with laughter. The cast is packed with stars, but Jake Johnson and Jeremy Renner steal the show as Chilly and Jerry, respectively.

Grummy (2021) Watched on Youtube. Directed by R.H. Norman and Micheline Pitt. Starring Violet McGraw. A young girl escapes from abuse into her imagination. A powerful and haunting short film. Violet McGraw is excellent in a devastating performance.