Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night

Naked -
+

Brilliant! Such a great performance from Thewlis. Totally dark, black comedy from director Mike Leigh. I'll definately watch this again.

Frightmare (1974) -

Very good British horror. It wont make my 70's list but deserves a watch from any horror fans.
What's Naked about? Mike Leigh is a good director.

Just recently watched:

A Few Good Men

One of the very best courtroom dramas I've ever seen, this was superb. Brilliantly scripted and perfectly cast, the way Cruise, Moore and Pollak bounce off of each other is just so much fun to watch. What could have been a dreary drama becomes an entertaining picture with darker, deeper moral dilemmas, all thanks to the chemistry of all the main actors. I found Jack Nicholson to be a tad underused but he got his moment in the sun with thw final scene, so intense!

8/10

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Unregistered User
@ Watch Tower - Thewlis plays a nihilistic and self destructive yet intelligent drifter, who travels to London to crash at his ex girlfriend's place. Its pretty bleak and depressing but if you like Leigh or liked Withnail and I then you'd enjoy this. Check it out even for Thewlis alone.

Pineapple Express - 1/5 because I'm not in it.
I'm pretty sure you were an extra in it during that one pot-smoking scene. You remember the one? No? That's because you were in it.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

I am the Watcher in the Night
@ Watch Tower - Thewlis plays a nihilistic and self destructive yet intelligent drifter, who travels to London to crash at his ex girlfriend's place. Its pretty bleak and depressing but if you like Leigh or liked Withnail and I then you'd enjoy this. Check it out even for Thewlis alone.
I'll give it a watch at some point over the next couple weeks!

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
del Toro's "Hellboy"

6.5/10

His spanish speaking films are much better than english speaking ones, imo.
I agree. I like his English ones for their action scenes but his Spanish ones are definitely superior in the story telling department.

The Counselor (2013)

I can see why this was a flop. It's a decent movie, but it's not typical Hollywood entertainment like many would expect. It's a dark, slow paced thriller, which is the kind of movie I like. It's directed well, and I liked all of the performances, much of the dialogue, and the scenes of violence. The problem for me is that it doesn't seem to know what it is. The first hour has a lot of sexual dialogue that seems forced, and in the end, pointless. By the time the movie completely focuses on the plot, it's a little too late. I thought it was good, but not consistently enough to recommend. I did love the early nod to Body Heat.

the Thing (1982), John Carpenter

my sister-in-law gives it a
+ 8.5 / 10, she liked how John Carpenter intentionally doesn't let you get close enough to relate with any of the characters in the 1st act... so that when the plot develops, you aren't sure who to trust. she is cool in my book

i enjoyed it more than ever, i give it a

Great children's classic from Disney.

This was actually my first time watching it while on a field trip with elementary students and I enjoyed it a lot.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Shootist - 1976

John Wayne's last film was a fitting tribute to the man himself.. A solemn movie about the last days of a famous gunfighter and the ending of an era.

7.5/10

Bringing Up Baby - 1938

A Howard Hawks movie, so expect to be entertained. Has the same tone as His Girl Friday. At times very stagey, but packs quite a few laughs.

8/10

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

There's nothing wrong with this movie; it's probably great for people who love Westerns and John Wayne. I just like Westerns and John Wayne, so I liked the movie.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)

There's nothing wrong with this movie; it's probably great for people who love Westerns and John Wayne. I just like Westerns and John Wayne, so I liked the movie.
I didn't think it was great either. But I gave it 6.5/10.

Thir13en Ghosts by Steve Beck

Not Great but for me it's a good decent horror movie . Matthew Lillard performance is very good. Not a very appreciate movie but me I see potential in this one .

7.8/10

Permanent Midnight
(David Veloz, 1998)

I don't have a problem with Ben Stiller. I've enjoyed some of his comedic roles. However, when it comes to his more dramatic turns, I think he's better suited for neurotic roles--- like in 2010's Greenberg, for example--- than as the too-cool-for-school, heroin-addicted television writer that he plays in this adaption of Jerry Stahl's memoir. The movie lacks substance, the script is shallow, the framing device is far too contrived, and the miscast Stiller only brings attention to these numerous faults. A few scenes rise above the muck, however. The scenes where Stiller, suffering from withdrawals, drives around the city at night looking for a score, his newborn daughter in the passenger seat, is heartbreaking. And there's a great metaphor for the rush and thrill and danger of getting high during a scene where Stiller and another character smoke crack, then continually throw themselves against a window that is several stories high. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie rings false, resulting in a fairly forgettable viewing experience.

Mannequin
(Michael Gottlieb, 1987)

Only the 80's could have produced this ridiculous piece of crap. Rita Kempley, of The Washington Post, summed it up better than I can: "a movie by, for and about dummies." The worst aspect, beyond the lame script, is the offensive, stereotype-laden caricatures. You could argue that the movie is extremely sexist, as well, although I doubt that the people involved with the making of the film are smart enough to realize it.

Monsters University
(Dan Scanlon, 2013)

I haven't watched Monsters Inc. in over a decade, so that might have lessened by enjoyment of this film a tad, since I think there were several nods and callbacks to the original that went over my head due to my poor memory. However, I still enjoyed this prequel quite a bit. It's very entertaining and there are several genuinely funny and heartfelt moments. The voice work is excellent. Pixar seems to have lost a lot of their ambition lately, and this film doesn't come close to reaching the heights of Wall-E or Up or the Toy Story franchise, but it's a still a good movie.

House (1977)

It's actually not that bad of a rating from me considering it's not at all my type of movie. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I really liked the sounds of the movie, whether it was the sound effects or the music. I also thought a lot of the visuals were pretty cool. I hate weird more when it's mixed with serious; at least in this film, I knew what I was getting. The problem for me was that it got monotonous. If it was any 30 minute span of the movie, I probably would have given it a 3/5. 90 minutes of it wasn't too bad though.

Mannequin
(Michael Gottlieb, 1987)

Only the 80's could have produced this ridiculous piece of crap. Rita Kempley, of The Washington Post, summed it up better than I can: "a movie by, for and about dummies." The worst aspect, beyond the lame script, is the offensive, stereotype-laden caricatures. You could argue that the movie is extremely sexist, as well, although I doubt that the people involved with the making of the film are smart enough to realize it.
Hey, SC! Have you seen this rating?

Monsters University
(Dan Scanlon, 2013)

I haven't watched Monsters Inc. in over a decade, so that might have lessened by enjoyment of this film a tad, since I think there were several nods and callbacks to the original that went over my head due to my poor memory.
I've not seen this, but from what I've heard, it's probably better that you've not seen Monster's Inc in so long. It doesn't sound as if it'd withstand the comparisson well.

Mannequin
(Michael Gottlieb, 1987)

I despise reviews like this one, which chirp the same old, same old politically correct crap -- "This is sexist! This film is filled with OFFENSIVE STEREOTYPES!"

I know who they're talking about --

And the only thing offensive is saying Hollywood Montrose (Meshach Taylor) is "offensive."

People, let's live in reality -- YES, there are "normal" gay guys. But there are also flamers like this one who happen to be store window dressers. Instead of trying to shoo them away and act like they don't exist, GET THE F OVER IT. Hollywood OWNS this damn movie. And he owns the sequel -- he was the only returning character from the first film.

Interestingly, I had a weird dream the other night that Mannequin 3 and Mannequin 4 (which don't exist) were being made, with new characters and a new flaming gay guy. I love the two Mannequin movies. I need to do a Mannequin commentary.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rantasmo-HollywoodMontrose768.jpg
Views:	4367
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	14522