Diary of the Dead review

→ in
Tools    

By far this is the best zombie film I have ever seen. It is definitely one of the best films I have ever seen. Before I start oogling over this film and analyzing it I will suggest a book for you all to read.
Gospel of the living dead.
By Kim Paffenroth. This book explains the movies by Romero in depth. In my opinion it is critical to understanding zombie films and oneself.

Firstly I have to say there are few films today and possibly in Hollywood history that make the viewer stop in the midst of the film and reflect on oneself. On watching this film I had no idea I would be reflecting and pondering so much on the cross by the end. The film is a film inside a film. Basically it is the story of a bunch an average kids from Pennsylvania making a film about the zombie virus killing the entire world. The film they made is intended as a diary to document the truth of what really went on. The ironies come in when they start to question the intent of the film. Why are they making it and what is really true. At first it seems enough to ignore but then it doesn't seem so simple after a friend shoots herself after running over three zombies. (she is a christian) The question stands
what have we done?
It seems easy enough to ignore until you stop detaching yourself. Something the main filmmaker is unable to do. It seems documenting
the truth
is more important than looking into his own heart. Am I detached? Do Zombies matter? The girl shot herself one may speculate because she realizes that they were people with a family perhaps and a life. The are real. Or did she do it because she was alive? In any event she survives and they go to a hospital. From then on the story pursues taking you deeper and deeper until you find yourself asking
am I living or dead?
Am I a zombie?
How can I be made alive?
One of the lines in the film that grasped me was
With so many spins on the truth it all becomes noise.
It seems in this world far too many have a camera in their hands so to speak and we can't feel. The truth is smeared into a point of view. If not a camera person then we all want to watch. Why? The film pointed out that we have become desensitized by all the information and so much of it is distortion because we never asked the question.
are we even alive?
At one point after being robbed by the national guard one character points out.
It used to be us vs. us. now it's us vs. them. The only problem is them is us.
Brilliant! I was floored with the depth in the film. Oddly enough I wonder how many got it though? I say again Romero is a Christian. So then you ask what did I miss? Well it's there. 'Them is us.' It was stated brilliantly.
The death of death.
. What does death symbolize? Truth. Absolute truth. We all must die. It's not a movie about the media. It's about us. You. Me. All of us. We either hold the camera or watch the chaos ensue and like those gladiator fights in Rome we die each time we cheer.

The man in the film stated it aptly after shooting a zombie dead
it was to easy. take this from me.
Far too much in this world of ours is too easy. Ravi Zacharias states it like this
Science has given us improved means to reach some of our damnable ends. That is not true of all of science that's not true of all of the means. But it is true that many of our technologies have only made us more sophisticated in our evil.
Again I ask what have we become? Outside the cross I do not see a way to answer completely.

I was reading an article today in New York Magazine. The cover story was
why kids lie.
Stating it as one who has arrived. (see article here http://nymag.com/news/features/43893/ ) Ironically they ultimately place the blame on the parents. I find this puzzling. For one thing they want the child to know it is wrong for them to do wrong. They want them to tell the truth but they blame themselves in the end. Now it's true it is the parents responsibility to parent and train their child in the way they should go but what use is it to the child if they grow up thinking my mom or dad doesn't even think I'm wholly accountable for my actions?

I believe the parent might think that because they like the people in diary of the dead are holding the camera. I think they do not want the truth. I do not think they have the truth. At one point in the film the girlfriend of the main filmographer suggests that they put themselves in this secure vault effectively sealing themselves off from the world. Effectively making themselves
dead to the world
the main guy filming says something to the effect of
why would I want to be cut off from this world. I have to film!

If allot of people were honest they too would admit they do not want to be cut off from this world. As dirty and as filthy as unreliable, untruthful, and dishonest as this world is. As many people that clapped after that film was done how many of us would go into that vault and be saved?

John Stott, Rector Emeritus of All Souls London, brilliantly points out that
Much that we take for granted in a 'civilized society' is based upon the assumption of human sin. Nearly all legislation has grown up because human beings cannot be trusted to settle their own disputes with justice and without self-interest. A promise is not enough; we need a contract. Doors are not enough; we have to lock and bolt them…Law and order are not enough; we need the police to enforce them. All this is due to [humanity's] sin. We cannot trust each other. We need protection against one another. It is a terrible indictment of human nature.
(Stott, Basic Christianity, 63)

It seems my friends we all know the verdict and we all know how the movie ends. We choose that for ourselves. The only question is do you want to change the ending? Do you want truth? Do you want Christ? Do you want Jesus? Is it really going to be
Us Vs. Them?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
okay, my eyes hurt, mind using the ENTER key every once in a while?

anyway, Oh boy, Romero is doing another Zombie flick, and it has the word dead in there? Oh boy :rollseyes:

also, not to be skeptical but how did you type this so fast?

I saw a 535 showing today. It was released today. I got off work at 4pm. It was showing on 42nd street, times sq - Regal Cinemas. I work on 14th Street. I'd offer more proof but after a while it gets silly wouldnt you say?

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
no I was just wondering because you typed 9 paragraphs in 2 minutes, and I thought it might be a copy, oh well.

Ah my apology I jumped to a false conclusion. I typed the review beforehand. Which Is why there were no paragraphs.

I'm dying to see this myself. I just received a package today with a bunch of screeners and Diary of the Dead was included. When I get a chance I'm gonna watch it.
I wish i was a movie critic! XD

Just got around to watching the George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead DVD screener. It was the worst, most boring, lamest and idiotic film I have ever seen done by George A. Romero. Just absolutely terrible!!!! I can't believe he even put that picture out as one of his films. The acting is horrible, and the pace of the story is slow as *****. I am totally embarrassed for Romero.

I give this piece of crap a deserving

I wish i was a movie critic! XD
I don't think he is a movie critic, and if he is i feel sorry for the people who pay him or hire him to do reviews for there site/mag or wherever he does it, judging from his lackluster and well crappy reviews (no offense)

he prolly gets his screeners like how most people do.. i got my screener along time ago and im not a reviewer

I don't think he is a movie critic, and if he is i feel sorry for the people who pay him or hire him to do reviews for there site/mag or wherever he does it, judging from his lackluster and well crappy reviews (no offense)

he prolly gets his screeners like how most people do.. i got my screener along time ago and im not a reviewer
First of all, don't judge me if you don't know me.

I'm not a critic nor a reviewer. I was though a reporter and media interviewer for about 4 or so years. And I'm not here to post excellent reviews - just my simple thoughts. As for where I get my screeners, I ain't most people. Whatever that means.

Just got around to seeing Romero's new flick. (upcoming spoilers ,most likely)

I actually enjoyed this new installment in the "Dead" series even though it left much to be desired and its drastically different then the ones that came before. I'm not up for writing a full fledged out review here but just some thoughts on the film.

Every Romero film had some sort of social commentary buried under the zombie killing goodness. Romero is clearly saying something about humankind in each of his zombie films but it is usually subtle and a little bit difficult to pick up on right away. His films always seemed like a Zombie horror film first then a political message in the background. Diary was more of "hey we are gonna slam what we have to say in your face oh and by the way we have zombies too"

Not necessarily saying I was against what Romero was saying its just I think it could have been done better more subtly and the use of the narration was just unnecessary. As if the messages in the movie weren't enough the narrations felt like short breaks where they basically reiterate everything they are trying to say in plain language so nobody gets confused and misses the point. Romero needs to give his viewers a bit more credit as he has in the past.

That said the other half of the movie which was what everyone really wants was great. The effects were well done and it had some good scares to keep us on our feet. Sure the acting wasn't great but In some degree it made the "this is real" factor a bit more believable.

The first person shooting of this film has obviously been done before most recently with Cloverfield but Diary deals with it a little bit differently. Yes a lot of the film is shot through one characters perspective but its still given that "film like" feel with our camera view changing periodically not only to other characters with cameras but also security cameras and cell phone camera as well.

The very abrupt ending wasn't very satisfying for me not just because of how quick it ends but also didn't seem like a logical ending point. After the girl who's name escapes me gets her boyfriend's camera and proclaims that she will finish his movie that she has been so opposed to the making off, shouldn't she have finished it? she clearly survives this epidemic because someone had to edit the film and she also narrates and claims she added music to it for drama. So why not show what happened to her next and maybe how she is going to actually end her movie.

So In the end I get what Romero is saying about the media, people's perception of the truth and how our fast growing technology is making it harder to know who to believe. But they need to realize they are still making a movie and that should be their many focus when making a movie. If the message is all that matters Romero should make a documentary or write a book.

Good effort and definitely entertaining but clearly not without flaws.

I just watched the movie last week...after Evil dead its the next most horrifying stuff I have saw....love the sexy bitches....yeah.....

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Im really looking forward to see this film as im a big fan, and this is going to be awsome it looks great!

Well basically anything with a zombie is awsome to me!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I was so chuffed when I got myself a copy of this a few days ago, I watched the same day and I wasnt impressed at all. Basically it is a cross between the blair witch and any other zombie film. I love Romero's work and was hyped to see this as my last post says, but disapointted isnt the word.

I love Dawn of the Dead and also Land of the Dead as they are the newest films in the zombie genre if you will. So natuarally I thought this would blow the others away but sadly it didnt.

As I have it on DVD I will definatly give it another go in a few weeks but I cant see it changing my mind.

Shame really.

i've heard really dissenting opinions on this film so far...i'm really excited about it (as i am with ANY new romero work) but i honestly don't know what to expect.

This film may have been the best zombie film ever but it is definitely nowhere near being a good film.

yes, it's a good one.

but, i like the animation one better.

the diary is the dead one, how could the director make it beyound love by the male-leading-role?~