In the 10 Ring: Gunslinger45's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Will wait for it on the small screen. I kinda figured they would ignore everything that could've made WWZ a really good film by turning it into an action hero vehicle. It clearly should've been an international ensemble balancing personal horror stories with worldwide sociopolitical repercussions of the outbreak.

Instead it looks like an overblown "one man saves the day" disaster flick, with lots of running and speechifying. That much can be gleaned by trailers alone... No subtlety; Emphasis on zombie hordes; Plot-pushing cardboard characters spouting exposition between bouts of CGI. Am I right so far?

Sigh.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Dude you got it down pat. Add in they go out of their way to avoid the violence and blood and you have Roland Emmerich's 2012 with zombies. Not even joking.

Now some of the zombies are actually played by people but the big stuff is all CGI.

Yeah, I was at least hoping for some good zombie mayhem but it sounds like they're practically irrelevant except to keep a tenuous connection to the book.

Will I see it? I see everything zombie-related I can. But as guarded as I was already, hearing it doesn't even have any good zombie violence has really irked me.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
So far the summer movie season has not been good to me.

As for Glasgow, I know a lot of studios film in one location and say it is another for the movie. And this question only really applies if you have seen the movie. My question is when they are supposed to be in down town Philadelphia, can you as a person who lives in there suspend your disbelief and say "Okay they are in Philly" or is there too much stuff in those shots that you say "Nope. It is Glasgow I have been there, screw you movie!"
At least you had Iron Man 3.

Well just from the trailer alone I was able to instantly spot it was George Square from the briefest of flashes. I actually went to see the place when it was being redressed. Was actually quite cool with all the American style traffic lights, road markings, storefronts etc. Fun to see a bit of movie magic in my hometown

At least you had Iron Man 3.

Well just from the trailer alone I was able to instantly spot it was George Square from the briefest of flashes. I actually went to see the place when it was being redressed. Was actually quite cool with all the American style traffic lights, road markings, storefronts etc. Fun to see a bit of movie magic in my hometown
Iron Man 3 and This is the End is all I got so far.

That is what I wanted to know. Thank you dude.

Fellow MoFo’s it has been a hard few weeks for me in the theaters. My last three reviews have all been expletive filled rants against bad movies I paid hard earned cash to see. The worst of which was the cinematic abomination World War Z; an over budgeted bloodless zombie movie and a failure of an adaptation. I need to balance the scales. Instead of a hundred million dollar globe hooping feature, how about something with a lower budget, set in one location, and a bit more grounded. And to hell with this bloodless crap, let’s go for something violent and exploitive. And most importantly, it needs to be a good movie. And what better movie to watch then this 2011 feature from the vigilante sub-genre I love with a title that says it all; Hobo with a Shotgun.

Hobo with a Shotgun was an idea that was born from a fake trailer contest for the grindhouse double feature of Planet Terror and Death Proof directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino respectively. To complete the grindhouse feel to the movie experience, they created a bunch of fake trailers to be shown before and between the two features. The idea was thought up by Tarantino and Rodriguez, who then decided to start making the first trailer for a fake movie called Machete (yes that Machete). After the Machete trailer was made a few of their friends decided they wanted to make fake trailers as well. This lead to trailers being made by Eli Roth, Edgar Wright, and Rob Zombie. These trailers captured the feel of many exploitation sub-genres. Robert Rodriguez made the Machete trailer as a tribute to Mexploitation films and Rob Zombies's Werewolf Women of the SS was made as an ode to Nazi-ploitation. But they needed one more so they held a contest for the final slot. Many more fake trailers were made, but the winner came from Canadian director Jason Eisener with the appropriately named Hobo with a Shotgun. The Hobo with a Shotgun trailer won the contest easily and was released with the other fake trailers with the movie, but mostly in Canada. Oddly enough these fake trailers took on a life of their own, and in 2010 Machete was made into a feature length movie. This was made simple due to the fact that the idea and original script for Machete dates back to 1993, but the popularity of the fake trailers helped give Machete the green light. And with the success of that movie, it helped get this movie green lit as well, and the following year it was released.

The movie opens with the unnamed hobo (Rutger Hauer) exiting a boxcar as he arrives at his destination. A place called Hopetown. Or at least that is what it is supposed to be called seeing how the “Hope” of the sign is spray painted over with “Scum.” And when you look across the river towards the city you can see it is a decayed husk, and the people of the town reflect their surroundings. The cops are all crooked and the city streets are full of degenerates ranging from people who make bum fight videos to pedophiles. Drugs and prostitution are in easy supply, and to top it off the city is run by a ruthless crime lord named Drake and his two kids. His favorite son is Slick, who is always in the company of his brother Ivan (whose speech and mannerisms remind me of a drill sergeant I knew in Basic Training). Together they rule over a lawless city and terrorize the innocent inhabitants. The hobo tries his best to survive the streets and scrape up enough cash to buy a lawn mower so he can earn a living. However a chain of events leads him to abandon his humble dream and he instead gets a Remington 12 gauge and begins delivering justice, one shell at a time.

The movie is a throwback to old fashioned vigilante movies that were common in the 70’s and 80’s. Films like Death Wish, The Exterminator, Joe, and Billy Jack are a few examples. They dealt with normal citizens who could not find justice within the system and so they take the law into their own hands to dispense justice; and this movie reflects those old exploitation movies. The opening credit scene looks like it is straight out of a 1970’s B picture, which enhances the aesthetic feel of this movie and compliments the movie poster and DVD cover to complete the feel of a grindhouse flick. The villains in this movie are also so obviously evil that they give the villains in Troma movies a run for their money. There is no subtlety to these villains at all. And when one character is a child molester who dresses like Santa Claus and the main villain puts on shows in the streets where he decapitates his enemies by ripping them off with a barb wire noose connected to a truck, they are also beyond over the top. But the real star of this show is Rutger Hauer, who puts on one hell of a performance! The hobo character starts out as a humble and tired old man who is just trying to get by. But his character begins to get more and more frustrated with his surroundings. He is a man who knows what is right and how people should act. And seeing the scum rule the streets and young girls prostituting themselves, he eventually can’t take it anymore and he releases his anger in a killing spree that makes local headlines. And when this happens the quiet demeanor he had is gone, now what is left is a blood thirsty killer. Along the way he befriends a young prostitute named Abby, and a conversation with her leads to an obvious but excellent piece of foreshadowing.

This movie is nowhere close to high art, but quite frankly it is not supposed to be. Exploitation films by their nature were extremely violent, full of nudity, and often dealt with subject matters that were too controversial for major studios. This movie is not made for snobbish critics and scholars; it is made so the audience can have fun. And this movie delivers on the fun! By far the best viewing I had of this movie was with a group of friends in the barracks. It was simply awesome to see those guys enjoy a movie that I liked so much. If you are a fan of old exploitation films then this movie is a must see. If you are looking for a movie that is a lot of fun, and do not mind graphic violence, then give this movie a shot.

I have that movie on Blu-Ray, and you pretty much summed up my thoughts entirely.
I'd also like to see Rob Zombie make a Werewolf Women of the SS movie.

I thought that having Nick Cage as Fu Manchu was hilarious! And speaking of Rob Zombie, I was rewatching The Haunted World of El Superbeasto today. A very enjoyable watch, so much so I might just watch it again.

Yeah, that was an epic casting choice xD
I didn't care for El Superbeasto myself. It fell pretty flat for me.

And in my opinion one the best of the neo grindhouse releases. IDK if that is an official term for these movies but it should be!

Let the night air cool you off
For me it's one of the two good ones. Death Proof and Hobo are the only ones I've enjoyed. Unless you count something like Black Dynamite as a neo-grindhouse flick.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I liked it fine, but some prominent members didn't take a shine to it, including our biggest grindhouse fan, whether Used Future will comment here or not.

I count it more as an homage, since a lot of the jokes in that movie are references to Dolemite. Like the boom mike gag. While movies like Drive Angry, Hobo with a Shotgun, and Machete are original works influenced by old grindhouse flicks.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Great review 45. I hadn't been particularly interested in either Hobo or Machete but after recently watching Death Proof and Planet Terror (along with some either trash like Death Race 2000) I'm now kinda curious about them (even if Death Proof didn't do much for me at all). I watched the fake trailers on youtube and thought that Machete looked quite good fun, even if I'm not sure there was a full film in it. And I laughed so hard at Nicholas Cage just appearing out of nowhere as Fu Manchu. That little piece alone raised my respect for him so much, that he would just play into his unique, OTT style and the fact that he probably would appear in a piece of crap like that.

Oh I laughed my ass off when I saw Nic Cage as Fu Manchu when I saw it on the big screen! To be honest a lot of these neo-grindhouse (I am making this a thing) are pretty good. And I still try to watch as many of the I thought Machete was okay, but I found it too political for me. But yeah I read your review of Death Race 2000, and these knids of movies can be pretty awesome!