Actors Known For Taking On Challenging Roles

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I don’t dislike him. If it’s the “pathetic” comment that you're referring to, I meant it as a compliment. Guy can be pitiful without losing the audience.
Hi, sorry I didn't see this. Yeah I know what you mean. He can have a homeless lo0k about him, and especially on those late night shows with Harrison Ford on their junket for (OMG I've forgotten the name of the movie. Stupid bloody brain!!!
I can't tell if he's really tired or intimidated.

Blade 🏃
Gormless, not homeless. Bugger off, auto-correct!

I figured he wouldn't be mentioned here, but I really think Brad Pitt deserves a mention here...this is an actor who could have easily settled on pretty-boy roles in silly movies, but he has never backed off a challenging role like Benjamin Button, 12 Monkeys, or Allied.

i mentioned this in another thread - keira knightly in A Danerous Method.

Recently saw Osama and have to say by sheer default, Marina Golbahari should probably be included on this list since she was portraying a female Afghani disguised as a male Afghani in Taliban lead Afghanistan and now has recently (2016) been chased out of the country under threat of death for daring to have a picture of her taken without a head covering. She made the original film in 2004 and yet the Taliban still has enough of a grip on Afghani culture that they can force her into exile? I can only imagine what it must have been like making the original movie then. No wonder she constantly looked absolutely terrified. Hope she is doing ok and gets to come back home eventually. Talk about "challenging"...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Christian Bale.

I still haven't seen it but it was the main reason I mentioned him, as well as Death Sentence (2007).
I highly recommend The Woodsman for anyone who hasn't seen it...Bacon was robbed of an Oscar nomination. He was also fantastic in JFK.

When I first saw The Lost Son (1999), Bruce Greenwood wasn't as familiar to me and it might be a surprise to people that he suddenly appears. I'd call that role possibly the most challenging of all the ones in the film.

When I first saw The Lost Son (1999), Bruce Greenwood wasn't as familiar to me and it might be a surprise to people that he suddenly appears. I'd call that role possibly the most challenging of all the ones in the film.
McConn - I cannever remember how to spell his name, for the roles he has taken to break his pretty boy romcom pigeon hole. You know the one. And either he cant put on weight now because he went too far or he gets better scripts looking unhealthy.

McConn - I cannever remember how to spell his name, for the roles he has taken to break his pretty boy romcom pigeon hole. You know the one. And either he cant put on weight now because he went too far or he gets better scripts looking unhealthy.
Who's that Dani? I can't place who you mean.

Who's that Dani? I can't place who you mean.
LOL Matthew.

Oh of course ! I don't think I've got round to seeing his most interesting characters yet. They look good though.

Oh of course ! I don't think I've got round to seeing his most interesting characters yet. They look good though.
he's a great actor, not just a pretty boy.

Dustin Hoffman. Examples: Little Big Man, Tootsie, Rain Man, Dick Tracy, Hero. Yes, he has lots of makeup in most of these roles but his performances go beyond that. No makeup in "Hero," but in it he manages to strike a balance between being likeable and unlikeable.

Have to nominate Déborah François for this category after seeing Student Services. I cant imagine a more challenging role than that. It must have been exhausting. And she knocks it out of the park. Such range of emotion. And her trauma is palpable.

Dustin Hoffman. Examples: Little Big Man, Tootsie, Rain Man, Dick Tracy, Hero. Yes, he has lots of makeup in most of these roles but his performances go beyond that. No makeup in "Hero," but in it he manages to strike a balance between being likeable and unlikeable.
Totally agree regarding Hoffman and can't believe he hasn't been mentioned before this...he could have rested on his laurels with pretty boy roles after The Graduate but instead he took on Ratso Rizzo. There aren't a lot of actors who would have taken on Tootsie either and his time onscreen as Dorothy Michaels was the best part of his performance.