Music Documentaries

Tools    

I just saw "Kill Your Idols" in NYC this weekend, and it pumped me up to see as many other great music documentaries that are out there. What is out there?

This movie took an introspective look an the brith and grown of the whole punk/rock and roll movement of the 70's and very early 80's and then what the remnants of that music have become today. I thought it was really well made and I loved the fact that the creators of this music were on record speaking out against the "genre" of their music today.

I saw it also, and I thought it was going to be so much worse than it was, haha... I'm not usually into hard punk, so I thought it was going to be crazy. But it was really good.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I really wanna see that, it sounds like it was really good, thanks for the tips both of you! Have you seen I Am Trying to Break Your Heart? It's the documentary about Wilco, that was really good.

The People's Republic of Clogher
If you're into Punk then look out for Julian Temple's The Filth & The Fury, which charts the rise of The Sex Pistols. I think it's fantastic.

Amother I've seen recently is Scorsese's No Direction Home about the early life and career of Bob Dylan.

For something more concert orientated try The Last Waltz (also by Marty, documenting The Band's farewell concert) and Stop Making Sense (directed by Jonathan Demme and featuring Talking Heads).

Only then might you be ready for This Is Spinal Tap...

I saw the Kill Your Idols film this past weekend as well. the director held a question and answer session after our vieiwing which was awesome.

KYI was different than Filth and the Fury and most other music movies/films/docs. They had bands like sonic youth and the yeah yeah yeahs speak about their thoughts in no wave/punk movement throughout the 70s and 80s and their thoughts on their "genre" today.

If you guys liked Filth and the Fury or music in general I would check out KYI.

PS. Spinal Tap owns

So strange, I had never heard of it, and I have heard about it twice in the past thirty minutes. Apparently Kill Your Idols isn't gonna die anytime soon... haha sorry, I couldn't help myself. I am gonna have to get into the city to see is ASAP...

I'm not a really big Neil Young fan, but Jonathan Demme's Heart of Gold is the best documentary
I've seen in a while.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
There is only one music documentary. The documentary of the hardest rocking band of all time. A band which will rock your face until the new Rock'llenium:

This is Spinal Tap

I'm not old, you're just 12.
End of the Century, which is a documentary about the Ramones, is a must see. It's funny, brutally honest, and ultimately heartbreaking.

Also, I really loved:

Hype!

1991: The Year that Punk Broke

Phish: Bittersweet Motel

The Howlin' Wolf Story 2003

This man (Chester Burnett)was an insperation to many early rock bands. And if that wern't enough, his guitarist Hubert Sumlin was an influence to Jimi Hendrix and many others.

Exellent documentary about the greatest blues artist ever. Some impressive archived footage and narriation that is must see for any blues or rock fan.

Randomly visiting for now
KYI seems right up my alley. I'm a pretty big punk+hard rock fan so I reckon I'd really enjoy it. i'm doing this subject at uni called the sociology of popular music and while I've only had one class it's fantastic! We looked at the influence of music on protest movements and how people were united using particular songs, e.g. 'we shall overcome'. Anyway one of the topics is actually deviance in music and punk rock is definately gonna come up. Ha maybe I can reference this movie in my essay

Chaotic Neutral
I have to add Gimme Shelter to this list...I love the intercut scenes where the Stones are watching the dailies and just shakin their heads in horror after they tried to have the West Coast Woodstock.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Has anyone seen The Devil and Daniel Johnston?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Put me in your pocket...
I really liked Jazz (2001) by Ken Burns and Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

Lance...I'm not a big Neil Young fan either, but my husband is. We haven't seen Heart of Gold yet, but I did get him the sound track and he plays it alot.