The MoFo Top 100 of the Fifties

→ in
Tools    

We have until...August 10th for a deadline. There's 1000s of 1950s movies, so personally I'm taking my time and watching as many 50s films that I can

BTW, tomorrow I create the March Movie of the Month thread, and it will be a 1950s movie that I'm sure most MoFos have not seen. It's a worthy film for consideration on your guys' 50s list.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I had a list done last year already. And a 1940's just in case.

But I won't send it in now, though. I want to really make sure that this is the list that I want to send in (I am saying this based on a big regret that I have in regards to the 1960's list). I just want to be absolutely sure about mine (I already think there is one film that I am going to swap for another on there).

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Looking forward to this, I've already started watching 50s films since it's not a decade I've seen much of. But... August? That's still such a long way away.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I found a great List Maker online that some people might find helpful. You can keep a list of all the movies on your list, and drag-and-drop them to reorder them. It's free, it's easy to use, and you don't have to register to use it.

Listmoz.com

8. The deadline for entries will be August 10th at 11:59 PM Central Time Zone. This will give everyone a good solid 5+ months of movie watching.

Master of My Domain
Props to Raul for the hard work he's gonna be doing. This list will be awesome.

Sweet. My list is pretty much set, but I'll hold off sending it in because there's a few that I might want to watch first.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Well, it's not like foreign movies usually get into the top 10 in these lists. In the animation countdown only 2 foreign movies got into the top 10, in the decade countdowns, there was never a foreign movie in a top 10. I would expect to have several foreign movies in top 10's but thing is that they are not watched by absolutely everybody in the forum while English language movies like Psycho are watched by everybody.

However, old movies lack this bias in a sense because old movies are also "foreign" to modern audiences. So I guess there will be more foreign movies in the 1950's list than in any other top movies countdown in the site.

Are you joking Guap? In the 60s list many of the Top 100 were Foreign (non English films). If anything I'd say Hollywood films will be under represented in the 50s list.....But it's all good, people should list the films they love.

For then to be underrepresented you need less than 1/4 of the list being Hollywood movies. Because Hollywood movies were only 1/4 or so of the movies produced in the 1950's.

Actually, today, the world produces around 6,600 movies a year (2011 data), of which only 800 are American and of which only 151 were made by the big Hollywood studios, and only 60 of those had budgets over 10 million dollars.

So big budget Hollywood movies are only 1% of the world's film production (currently). But they tend to be 80% of these top decade lists because they are the stuff everybody has watched: Being only 1% of the world's movies they have about half of the world's box office revenue.

Although it's true big budget Hollywood movies are probably better than low budget Indonesian or Indian films on average. Specially in terms of special effects, cinematography and other technical aspects and the actors of big budget films look better on average as well.

Indian movies are the world's most underrepresented film industry. In India, Bollywood films sell 2-3 billion tickets annually, more than US theaters sell (around 1.3 billion) and India makes more movies than any other country.

Great Bollywood movies from the 1950's include the Apu movie trilogy from Ray, widely considered the greatest Indian filmmaker.

Bollywood films sell 2-3 billion tickets annually, more than US theaters sell (around 1.3 billion)
India also has over three times the population of the US.

I have some math for you Guap, the Top 100 50s list will contain 100% of movies from MoFos
I was just about to say that. This silly affirmative idea of what should or shouldn't be represented on these lists misses the point that these lists are intended to represent the tastes of those participating.

Indian movies are the world's most underrepresented film industry. In India, Bollywood films sell 2-3 billion tickets annually, more than US theaters sell (around 1.3 billion) and India makes more movies than any other country.

Great Bollywood movies from the 1950's include the Apu movie trilogy from Ray, widely considered the greatest Indian filmmaker.
Satyajit Ray is Bollywood now?