How Lost SHOULD have Ended

Tools    

Semper Fooey
If you could write your own ending, what would it be? Speaking generally, I would have liked to have seen more twists, perhaps challenging our perceptions of the monster and his intentions and integrating the alternate reality into the story. Also visually when the plane takes off, it is going into blazing sunlight inter-cut with the light from the island.

Phew, for a minute i thought this was jrs posting an 'inside scoop'.

If the went the purgatory route, would have had all the FS before the finale completely cut, the developments of all the here characters was solely misdirection. Similarly Widmore, cut. Desmond would have gone into the Source had his near death experience and flash, round them up and get them to realise then end like normal.

What i was pretty much convinced would happen is FS Locke would merge with OT Flocke and save the day. When Jack put the cork back in, i also thought he should have turned into a Smoke Monster with Hurley as the Protector. This would have given greater depth to Across the Sea as it meant 'Mother' played a long con on Jacob to create the Smoke Monster which was a necessary part of the Island. However this time, the Monster would be willing to stay.

i would of said that the island was the bermuda triangle, that would explain the plain crashing , the boat being there , alot of things really .

Semper Fooey
Here is an idea that just occurred to me. The alternate reality really is an alternate reality, but as events on the island reach a climax, the alternate reality starts to fade, with each character in the other world suddenly confronted by their island self who takes them back to the island where they converge. The only exception, borrowing from Pyro Tramp's idea, is Locke who emerges on the island as a separate entity to confront his doppelganger. After defeating the evil Locke, everyone but Ben walks into the island's light and suddenly find themselves back on the plane in flight, the island already behind them.

And they're wearing the same clothing before they crashed, as if it never happened.

Beware The Probe!
Okay, here's my idea on an alternate ending for Lost…

Smokey succeeds in his plan to sink the island all the other Lostaways are killed with only Desmond surviving it (maybe Jack's death even involves the closing eye-thing). As everything begins to shake we see a living Jacob and learn that it is way in the past when MiB and Jacob first fought. Smoke-Locke kills Jacob with the knife as the island begins to sink. This works here because he's in Locke's form and his true form who can't kill Jacob still exists here. This action would also cause Jacob's influence on the Lostaways' lives to never happen over the years and they went on to live their flash-sideways lives. Smoke-Locke sees himself who attacks him as black smoke but both merge into one being and shoots into the skies as the island falls into the ocean. During this Desmond winds up pulling the plug but it only transports him to Oceanic flight 815 sitting next to Jack.

Catching up to the current flash-sideways story once they all 'awaken' and remember their lives on the island in the destroyed timeline they all seek out Smokey who has returned to his original body.
While confronting him, we see he has a plan for the outside world as black smoke begins to fill the skies blocking out the sun. While dark winds and warping reality slows down the group's advance they all find they cannot move ahead due to torrential forces. Then Jack hands Locke the ancient knife which he found when he opened his father's casket in the church and Lock presses on step by step while MiB tries to force him back with dark winds.
Lock reaches MiB and says something awesome like "You know the difference between you and me…? My strength comes from my friends" and stabs him in the heart.
A bright light engulfs the dark smoke and when it clears, a bottle of glowing water rests on the ground. Locke opens it and says "Sorry Jack… but it's always been me who has to take this responsibility." he drinks it and tells Jack and Kate to enjoy their new lives together. Then he smiles at the others and vanishes.

We next see Locke sitting on the beach of the island with the dog.
And everyone else lives happily ever after!

Yeah, I know, a ton of plot-holes but whatever. At least the flash-sideways timeline survives.

Semper Fooey
Better than their ending, Sci-Fi-Guy.

To add to my ending, the final scene is the plane going to the sun as spell blinding light, which could be interpreted as they're dead and crossing over. But it's ambiguous, and could simply mean they're leaving the island and their old lives behind.