The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I adore Ingrid Bergman, I think Casablanca is one of the greatest films ever made, and her performance is iconic and key to it working as well as it does....but it is nowhere near her best work, as an actress.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have a copy of Autumn Sonata from TCM. I guess I should get it out and watch it. I believe Cries and Whispers was the first Bergman film I watched and I wasn't crazy about it. I saw one or two other Bergman films that were similar and was about to give up on Bergman, at least for the time being, when I saw Persona, which I loved and totally changed my view of him. In other words I'm not expecting to love Autumn Sonata as much as some people, and not as much as I love his other films.

I've not seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul. I've heard of it, but that's all. Great list, though. And it's getting me to watch movies I never bothered with or had time to see before.

two more movies i really wanted to see but didn't get to in time. i've seen three bergman's, and i wasn't crazy about two of them, but the other one made it onto the bottom of my list. i think it has a chance of showing up, but i'm getting worried.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I thought Ali: Fear Eats the Soul was the last Ali vs Frazier fight.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Nothing from my list yet, but I do love some Bergman, so it's nice to see Sonata make it. Otherwise a bunch of meh for me so far. Save for the Polanski one and the first two I commented on. There are a few I will be checking out though!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Still really pleased Fear Eats the Soul made the list. I think as many as 21 of my top 25 might make it. Which probably says something about how mainstream my picks are more than anything else. But of all 25 movies, this is the one I'm most pleased to see on here, even though it was not first on my list. I hope some more people see and enjoy it as a result of it being on the countdown. I think German cinema is often overlooked, but there are some really great films (and probably many more that I haven't even seen yet).

Interestingly, the two stars of Fear eats the Soul both appear in minor roles in another of Fassbinder's 70s movies, Fox and His Friends which In may or may not have had on my list (and another film Tenderness of the Wolves which I have not seen). El Hedi ben Salem was reportedly Fassbinder's lover (which may explain why there are all these lingering shots of him without clothes in Fear Eats the Soul).

Haven't seen either of these last two. Look pretty damn interesting though.

I must moan.

So far, this is the worst decade countdown yet. Nothing I like / nothing I really care for / nothing from my list / a lot that I've never heard of / and it doesn't feel like a '70s list to me.

I know there's a lot of '70s stuff I haven't seen, but I still thought I'd be able to recognize the '70s here. I am not.

This feels like the '70s on another planet. Very boring countdown. Note that I am not saying Holden is doing a bad job, it's just that the list sucks. However, nothing will top how bad the '90s list was. The '70s countdown is the worst, but it's a different kind of worst. It's an indifferent worst. The '90s was a worst that mattered to me.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I think it's very possible that someone could be sneaky and make an alternate account and never post on it and use it to send in a second list.

I say make it a rule that you also need to post here a couple of times, too, before you can send in a list. I mean, the list should reflect OUR tastes. Us MoFos. Our clan. And people who join but don't post... don't seem like our clan to me. It becomes more about just trying to get as many lists as possible than actually trying to make the lists about our tastes. People who join the site but don't post don't seem like US yet to me. I wouldn't call someone with zero posts a MOFO. There needs to be more initiation, I feel.
Why can't something as enticing as a list countdown BE that person's initiation? After all, Holden and Yoda were both yammering at us for weeks asking everyone to send in a list. If that drew some folks out of the woodwork, then GREAT!

After all, we were ALL new here once and not part of the "clan" yet. (Well, except maybe me and Yoda.) Don't we want our clan to be bigger -- the biggest movie clan on the Intrawebs?

Seriously, get over it, dude. I'm happy to see that the fun of this countdown enticed some newbies into showing up. YAY!

Why can't something as enticing as a list countdown BE that person's initiation? After all, Holden and Yoda were both yammering at us for weeks asking everyone to send in a list. If that drew some folks out of the woodwork, then GREAT!

After all, we were ALL new here once and not part of the "clan" yet. (Well, except maybe me and Yoda.) Don't we want our clan to be bigger -- the biggest movie clan on the Intrawebs?

Seriously, get over it, dude. I'm happy to see that the fun of this countdown enticed some newbies into showing up. YAY!
I think the restriction should be there in case someone makes another name on here and uses it to send in a second list. Like, let's say I made another account right when it was announced that the '60s Countdown was going to begin accepting lists. Five months later, it's the last day to accept lists. I get on the other account and -- provided Yoda and crew haven't figured out it's me -- send in a list. And I've never posted at all using that account. That list would be accepted and then I've just sent in a second list.

Now, of course I could make a minimum amount of posts required before I'm allowed to send in a list. But at least that would be something I'd have to do. So even though I'm trying to be sneaky and send in a second list, I've got to do a bit of work first before I can.

I just think it's right. I think it's a fair, reasonable restriction. And plus, I just think people ought to post here. If you're going to be included in the MoFo Countdown, at least make an effort, even if a small one, to actually post something here. The lists should reflect our tastes and people who don't post just don't really seem like US.

I'm only talking about people who don't post at all or have, like, 5 posts. People who haven't posted in years, but did post a lot in the past, are absolutely welcome, in my view, to submit lists, even if they haven't posted on MoFo since -- as far back as 2000, if that's the case, as long as they posted then.

I'm just saying -- slap on one extra little restriction! I'll feel better.

I feel bad for the new guy.
See, I don't get why people need to feel bad for him. I didn't understand why Holden thought I was treating him badly. WHEN did I put him down?! This has never been about the "new guy" personally. This has never been about Norman Desmond, I think his name was. I have made no insults toward this person. I was just using his case as an example. It's not like I'm the Queen from Alice in Wonderland screaming "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!"

Sorry, Sexy, but I'm reacting to the fact that I had two days' worth of posts to catch up on, and I just spent WAY too long reading post after post of you whining about rules and newbies. What does it matter WHERE a newbie chooses to post FIRST?

As for someone making up a fake second account, Holden told us it was a legitimate person and you STILL kept posting about rules and regulations. Yoda, for instance, can usually tell by IP addresses if someone is using two accounts.

APOLOGIES to everyone else for bringing this up a few pages later -- I was reading through about 15 pages of this thread just now (!!), got to the first set of pages where SC started in on this topic, and I hit REPLY and posted... not quite realizing my post was going to show up THIS many pages LATER. I was sure it would be a blip on the radar, but instead it went on for page after page.

BACK to the list...

QUESTION for Holden: Why does the movie poster you used for the ALI movie have "Eat" instead of "Eats"? (At least, I think that's what was on your original posting of that movie here--- hard to remember after all the brain fuzz already crowded into my brain from the Desmond discussion.)

You gotta let it go Sexy. Show a little love for your fellow man. This is just the internet and this is just a forum. Yes, we have and pretty much always have had a great mix here. But this discouraging new members is pretty dickey and I wish you'd cool it. Because you may be chasing out potential new members right now. I kinda doubt ole Norms gonna post again. For the record I hope he does. Sexy's not attacking you by the way. He's just crazy as hell, like most of the rest of us. He's actually harmless and is really one of my favorite members.

See, I don't get why people need to feel bad for him. I didn't understand why Holden thought I was treating him badly. WHEN did I put him down?! This has never been about the "new guy" personally. This has never been about Norman Desmond, I think his name was. I have made no insults toward this person. I was just using his case as an example. It's not like I'm the Queen from Alice in Wonderland screaming "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!"
I sometimes wonder if you have no clue how you "sound" sometimes, SC.

If you were a new person to a forum, and you innocently posted a list after being invited by the listkeeper, who probably told you what an awesome place this was for movie discussion, and then you came into this thread later, after posting, only to see page after page taking issue with your very digital existence, would YOU want to come back?

It's incredibly off-putting for someone we'd like to see stick around. Note he hasn't posted again since your diatribe started many pages back.

I, for one, hope he can see past your tone and somehow understand that he is not to take anything you wrote here personally. I know I would have trouble with that if it were me.

Originally Posted by Austruck
As for someone making up a fake second account, Holden told us it was a legitimate person and you STILL kept posting about rules and regulations. Yoda, for instance, can usually tell by IP addresses if someone is using two accounts.
I'm calling for this measure for THE FUTURE. In case something like it ever happened. In case someone can even trick Yoda. It's fine right now if Norman Desmond is a real person. But in the future, I think if you try to send in a list and you have zero posts, it should not be accepted. You should have to post a few times first. It might seem like a silly rule, but it's something I am just putting out there.

Sexy, I'm going to now refer to you as the Queen. Because you are exactly like the Queen from Alice in Wonderland.