How Do You Rate This Year's Oscar Nominees (Best Movie)?

Tools    

Helo All,

My first post.... Just wanted to get a general idea of what people felt about this year best movie list. For me this was one of the worst year's in recent times. Most of the movies if put in the any other year would not even come close to a nomination except maybe Argo and Zero Dark Thirty. Just want to know is it just me or do you guys feel the same?

I don't know, I haven't watched many 2012 nominated films.

Though Argo was a quite mediocre best film.

Overall, I don't care much about the Oscar anyway. Nor does the film critics all over the word. It's just a stupid self promotion campaign created by Hollywood.

Question: You were born in 2004?

I am not talking about what films should have been on the list. I am saying the list compared to other years was pretty weak.

Question: You were born in 2004?
1984. 2004 is just a numeric tag i use, coz that was the year i first created my proper email ID. The one's before that I lost within a year.

If you can say such a comment that it's 'one of the worst', it would be nice to know what films released last year you felt deserved a place to make it a brilliant nominations list compared to the nominations we got.

Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, Django Unchained, Amour for a few of the nominations we got, a rather good list already.

For me Argo, ZDT, Amour were the only one's good. Silver Linings Playbook was.... meh for me! Life of Pi was decent for me. Lincoln was way to boring.

Compare it to a year like 1994 or even last year. The combined list would fall short.

Comparatively, I thought this year's nominees were as good as any nomination group in recent memory. I really enjoyed "Argo", "Lincoln", "Silver Linings Playbook", "Zero Dark Thirty", and "Django Unchained". "Life of Pi" was just ok. The other three I'll pass on.

I feel like my opinion may not be the most informative as this was the first proper year where I watched films properly, kept up with those released, and kept up and watched the Oscars, so I was always going to enjoy it more.

Django Unchained

Life of Pi

Lincoln
+ (Disagree it's boring, fantastic cast, great direction)
Argo

Zero Dark Thirty

Les Miserables

Beasts of the Southern Wild

For me 1994, 2011, 2005 were one of my fav's of all time. This year was decent at best. Mind you some older list are amazing too!

I thought that the only reason Argo was selected was that its original story was so strong and unique; the execution of turning that story into a movie was very mediocre. I thought Django Unchained was a prime example of what good film making is all about. Some would say Tarantino is pretentious for drawing such attention to his filming technique, but in someways it is less pretentious than playing to the oscar reviewers who demand subtlety in fimmaking.

If you can say such a comment that it's 'one of the worst', it would be nice to know what films released last year you felt deserved a place to make it a brilliant nominations list compared to the nominations we got.

Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, Django Unchained, Amour for a few of the nominations we got, a rather good list already.
I know you weren't asking me, but out of the eight nominees, I would replace Django Unchained, Zero Dark Thirty and Argo with these films: Oslo, August 31st; Holy Motors; and Moonrise Kingdom; maybe I'd squeeze The Master in there.

Argo

Django Unchained

Zero Dark Thirty

I will probably see Lincoln and Life Of Pi but I don't think I will really enjoy them.

Lets say if Argo would have been in the year before, would it have won the best movie? Hard to see it beat The Artist!

Django Unchained
, the most entertaining
Argo
, the most suspenseful
Silver Linings Playbook
, probably the most enjoyable
Life of Pi
+
, the most emotional
Zero Dark Thirty
, the most violent
Lincoln
, the most well-made

haven't seen the rest.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Not the best year in terms of nominations (Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings really???)

Here's how I saw it:

Django Unchained, should have won the Oscar

Life of Pi, a great visual tale with some beautifully crafted moments

Lincoln, a great central performance but not much else

Argo, very entertaining, tense and funny all at the same time, didn't mind it winning the Oscar

Zero Dark Thirty, pffffff, pro-American drivel with a generous helping stupid

Les Miserables, didn't see it before the Oscars and wasn't too impressed, an average movie at best

Beasts of the Southern Wild still haven't seen it

One of the great gaffes was leaving out Cloud Atlas.

Argo

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Django Unchained

Les Miserables

Lincoln

Silver Linings Playbook

Zero Dark Thirty

Here's to hoping some worthy films win next year.