Soldier (1998)

→ in
Tools    

Not sure how many here might remember this Sci-Fi/Action hybrid from the late 90s. Starring Kurt Russell as a genetically enhanced soldier who's discarded on a wasteland planet when a new breed of superior super soldier replaces his ilk, he forms a bond with the people living on the planet and comes to their aid when they're threatened by his former Colonel and his forces.

Think a much more serious version of the movie Commando in a Sci-Fi setting and you get a pretty decent idea of what this is like. Tons of action, explosions, gunplay, etc. It was a big flop when released but I find it really underrated. The action is excellent and was made during a time hard R-rated Action films were still being made that also didn't utilize digital gore, and the action here is quite brutal and gruesome. Russell's performance was mocked since his character has few lines of dialogue outside of some variations of "Sir," but he does very well using his face and eyes to convey different emotions and manages to add some emotional depth using very little dialogue. The action and fight scenes are all excellent and the movie boasts some impressive production design. It's all the more of a shock the movie is as good as it is considering it's directed by the infamous Paul W.S. Anderson, but here he actually puts together a genuinely good and entertaining Action ride that delivers with the thrills and spectacle, and manages to be genuinely emotional at times.

It's a shame this didn't do better back when released but it's gotten somewhat of a following in subsequent years. Also worth noting it takes place in the same universe as Blade Runner.

Welcome to the human race...
Here is my review. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and, while it's not terrible, it's not exactly good either.

Also, this has nothing in common with Commando beyond the fact that they are both R-rated action movies with one-word military-themed titles.

Here is my review. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and, while it's not terrible, it's not exactly good either.

Also, this has nothing in common with Commando beyond the fact that they are both R-rated action movies with one-word military-themed titles.

I just think they're sort of comparable in the sense they're both one-man army movies and the action scenes have that larger-than-life, comic book quality. Although you're right they're not very similar.

Welcome to the human race...
I just think they're sort of comparable in the sense they're both one-man army movies and the action scenes have that larger-than-life, comic book quality. Although you're right they're not very similar.
Those are fair comparisons. I'd also argue that Soldier is at least trying to be a little deeper as it tries to develop Russell's "warrior with no war to fight" character, whereas Commando is as uncomplicated as action movies get with its "kill the bad guys" plot.

I think it was written to be Blade Runner 2.
The idea was that the genetic soldiers are sort of the next step up from Replicants.
Some have even said that the soldiers aren't human, and are actually Replicants.

As an actual sequel though, it's more a spiritual sequel.
Soldier does contain a few nods to Blade Runner though/ There's a car seen in the wreckage that matches one from BR and there's a few references in the dialogue.

Those are fair comparisons. I'd also argue that Soldier is at least trying to be a little deeper as it tries to develop Russell's "warrior with no war to fight" character, whereas Commando is as uncomplicated as action movies get with its "kill the bad guys" plot.

Good way to put it. Soldier is a far deeper film with underlying themes to it whereas Commando is a mindless fun, leave your brain at the door type of movie. Both are good for what they are.

Whoever mocked Kurt Russels performance is a simpleton since his character was bred to be a unthinking, unfeeling super soldier and his lack of dialogue was very purposeful . I always liked the first chapter of the movie the most, the soldiers training and eventual discarding to the genetically engineered soldiers, the latter half was nothing special.. I like it but wouldn't mention in the same breath as Blade Runner!

a bollywood with the same name was made coincidentally the same year ( 1998 )