Mr Minio's Top 185 Films aka I bet you haven't seen it!

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I haven't seen any, but Abraham's Valley is a movie I've wanted to see since a year or so.

5. The Mirror

I believe this one does not need any explanation.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I was meant to watch that film ages ago, but never got round to it for some reason. I have it ready to watch. I'm in the same situation with Stalker too, something is putting me off watching Tarkovskey, not in a particularly bad way but for long, thoughtful films I need to have the time and be in the mood

I've only seen the Mirror once, quite recently, and I loved it. I definitely need to watch it again soon.

I find it strange that people seem to usually like both The Mirror and Last Year in Marienbad, for me one is a super masterpiece and the other is quite a bad movie. (Tyler also had these two movies paired close together, here they are also http://mubi.com/lists/my-favorite-100-films number 5 and 6 respectively), though Tarkovsky apparently didn't like Resnais movies enough to include any in his favorites list.

4. Shame

Who'd have thought that would happen? Well, actually a lot of you. Look at my avatar. I've got Mr. Fassbender there, in case I change it in the future. I've seen Shame twice to make sure it wasn't just a temporary hype and the second time I loved it even more. I even cried. Fassbender was born to play Brandon, or should I say, be Brandon. His total commitment to the role is impressive, because there's no doubt he is talented, but the thing he did in Shame is beyond imagination. My favourite male performance of all time. Carrey Mulligan is great as well, even though overshadowed by Michael's glory, she still puts on a great role. Her version of Sinatra's classic is strangely enigmatic, slow and sad, which perfectly describes the relations between her and her brother, as well as their lives. I love the cinematography and the use of long take during the jogging and Brandon & Marianne walk scenes. The music is particulary powerful when juxtaposed to subway and club scenes. I adore Fassbender's face expressions. Finally such a glory since Maria Falconetti. And not to mumble anymore I adore everything about this movie. Now that I'm writing of it I want to see it again. Damn.

Shame is a great film, and one of the most painful I've ever watched. I thought it was going to be in your top 20, I'm actually surprised to see it this high.

I was meant to watch that film ages ago, but never got round to it for some reason. I have it ready to watch. I'm in the same situation with Stalker too, something is putting me off watching Tarkovskey, not in a particularly bad way but for long, thoughtful films I need to have the time and be in the mood
Survival instincts?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
4. Shame

Who'd have thought that would happen? Well, actually a lot of you. Look at my avatar. I've got Mr. Fassbender there, in case I change it in the future. I've seen Shame twice to make sure it wasn't just a temporary hype and the second time I loved it even more. I even cried. Fassbender was born to play Brandon, or should I say, be Brandon. His total commitment to the role is impressive, because there's no doubt he is talented, but the thing he did in Shame is beyond imagination. My favourite male performance of all time. Carrey Mulligan is great as well, even though overshadowed by Michael's glory, she still puts on a great role. Her version of Sinatra's classic is strangely enigmatic, slow and sad, which perfectly describes the relations between her and her brother, as well as their lives. I love the cinematography and the use of long take during the jogging and Brandon & Marianne walk scenes. The music is particulary powerful when juxtaposed to subway and club scenes. I adore Fassbender's face expressions. Finally such a glory since Maria Falconetti. And not to mumble anymore I adore everything about this movie. Now that I'm writing of it I want to see it again. Damn.
If I weren't so busy today I'd respond with disappointment, I think Paul Schrader's recent film The Canyons is a much better film in a similar subject area, and I think that film is really mediocre.

I don't care for the subject of the film, but I still liked it a lot.

3. The Dust of Time

I remember me crying constantly when watching the last Angelopoulos film The Dust of Time. Not only because the movie was extremely poignant and powerful, but also because it was the last Angelopoulos film before his unexcepted death. Moreover, it was the last film of him I watched as I'd already seen everything else by him at the time. As always with Angelopoulos we've got poetry at the screen, beautiful cinematography and touching Karaindrou music. I don't recommend watching it if you haven't seen any other film of this Greek maestro, though. For that Landscape in the Mist is a perfect choice. I watched it as the first Angelopoulos too myself and after the seance has ended I couldn't wait to watch the rest of his filmography.

1. Messe Noire

A masterpiece. A movie that made me realise how dumb I was thinking Werckmeister Harmonies can't be beaten and therefore that art has nothing more to offer. This short is the best thing I've ever seen in my life and it changed the way on how I perceive art as well as Werckmeister Harmonies, but unlike Tarr's magnum opus, this piece is but a few minutes long short. It's very deep and visually stimulating. If you'd like to see this beauty just send me Private Message and I will point you to the place where you can watch it, but beware! It can become your favourite film too as well.