Citizen Goes To War!!!

→ in
Tools    

The MoFo War Countdown deadline is rapidly approaching...and the War Group Watch has wrapped up...But Citizen is still watching war movies! I'll keep doing so until the countdown deadline, July 26th. My plan is to log the war movies I watch here.

If you got a war movie or two that you think I really should watch, let me know...and I'll try to watch it. Just don't drop a big list of war movies as I tend to ignore those...But do tell me why I should watch your suggestion.

Days until deadline: 26

Tonight I'm rewatching this. I don't know if it will make my ballot but I remember it being pretty good, thought it's been years since I last saw it. Anybody else see this?

Gettysburg (1993)

I watched Battle of the Bulge (1965) for you last week, Rules!

I won't say the movie was Nazi-sympathetic, per se, but it did take some time getting to know some of the German commanders (via Robert Shaw's performance along with his aid played by Hans Christian Blech) and getting the point across that most soldiers (on either side) were just fighting for their country.

I also noticed a surprising lack of swastika flags & armbands which are usually a staple for war movies with Nazis (were they trying to play down the propaganda in 1965?)

Still... rousing songs to der fatherland?

I watched Battle of the Bulge (1965) for you last week, Rules!

I won't say the movie was Nazi-sympathetic, per se, but it did take some time getting to know some of the German commanders (via Robert Shaw's performance along with his aid played by Hans Christian Blech) and getting the point across that most soldiers (on either side) were just fighting for their country.

Still... rousing songs to der fatherland?
Cool! I watched that one too, I guess I didn't love it as I didn't remember it until I seen that YouTube clip. I think it was pretty good?

Speaking of Nazi-sympathetic I'd be interested in any war film that was more or less Nazi-sympathetic

*the Nazi were pure evil of course! But I want to see a film told from their twisted side.

Cool! I watched that one too, I guess I didn't love it as I didn't remember it until I seen that YouTube clip. I think it was pretty good?

Speaking of Nazi-sympathetic I'd be interested in any war film that was more or less Nazi-sympathetic

*the Nazi were pure evil of course! But I want to see a film told from their twisted side.
I think Das Boot was good for being (not Nazi-sympathetic) but sympathetic to the German sailors on the U-boat (partly because they had to serve under the Nazis).

I always remember a scene from that movie where the Captain is greeted by a superior officer with a loud & enthusiastic "Hiel Hitler!"... and the Captain's lackluster attempt at a feigned half-salute that is filled with obvious contempt & disappointment.

I think Das Boot was good for being (not Nazi-sympathetic) but sympathetic to the German sailors on the U-boat (partly because they had to serve under the Nazis).

I always remember a scene from that movie where the Captain is greeted by a superior officer with a loud & enthusiastic "Hiel Hitler!"... and the Captain's lackluster attempt at a feigned half-salute that is filled with obvious contempt & disappointment.
Yes! that's a good one that fits the bill and as you know I love submarine movies

Slightly off topic - but I found this video not long ago that explained why so many Nazi officers had facial scars.

I always though it was a movie thing - to make them look more menacing - (or a comic book thing for those who remember Nick Fury's nemesis Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, whose face was covered with scars) - but no, they really did have facial scars and here's why...

Das Boot is about as close as you'll get, I think.

The most unspeakable film would a WW2 version of Stripes in the "Slobs vs. Snobs" genre in which bohemian fun-loving Nazis fight off the uptight snobbish British "Tommies," complete with a scene where British officers ask themselves if they "are the baddies" for denying Germans "breathing room" for the German Volk. Heads would explode.

Have you seen The One That Got Away (1957)?

It's a true story about a German pilot in WW2 who becomes a prisoner of war, and how he attempts to escape. Good performance from a young Hardy Krüger in the main role. You may perhaps like it.

Available in full on YouTube for anyone who wants to check it out.

Have you seen The One That Got Away (1957)?

It's a true story about a German pilot in WW2 who becomes a prisoner of war, and how he attempts to escape. Good performance from a young Hardy Krüger in the main role. You may perhaps like it.

Available in full on YouTube for anyone who wants to check it out.
No, but I had my eye on it, it looked liked an interesting subject for a war film...Thanks for the suggestion! I'll watch it tomorrow night and post my thoughts.

Slightly off topic - but I found this video not long ago that explained why so many Nazi officers had facial scars.

I always though it was a movie thing - to make them look more menacing - (or a comic book thing for those who remember Nick Fury's nemesis Baron Wolfgang von Strucker, whose face was covered with scars) - but no, they really did have facial scars and here's why...

I just watched that video, fascinating! I never knew all the movie Nazis with facial scars had a basis in reality. Thanks for posting that!

Das Boot is about as close as you'll get, I think.

The most unspeakable film would a WW2 version of Stripes in the "Slobs vs. Snobs" genre in which bohemian fun-loving Nazis fight off the uptight snobbish British "Tommies," complete with a scene where British officers ask themselves if they "are the baddies" for denying Germans "breathing room" for the German Volk. Heads would explode.
Sounds like the perfect vehicle for Bialystock & Bloom!

Days until deadline: 25

Well, I tried to watch Gettysburg (1993) but gave up after 1 hour. At 4.5 hours it's very detailed about the entire battle at Gettysburg and if I was a civil war buff or just enjoyed really long movies with lots of musket and canon fire...I might have finished it. Oh well it looked good like a huge civil war battlefield reenactment.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
"Grand Illusion" -- no war scenes, but more about prisoners, but other things beyond national barriers.. Sometimes the families they come from, wealth.. It's one of a few movies I give a 10/10.

I also think you'd love this because of the emphasis on the characters, and the relationships between them and their world of WWI

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6kn10r

"Grand Illusion" -- no war scenes, but more about prisoners, but other things beyond national barriers.. Sometimes the families they come from, wealth.. It's one of a few movies I give a 10/10.

I also think you'd love this because of the emphasis on the characters, and the relationships between them and their world of WWI

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6kn10r
Thanks Matt, I seen Grand Illusion in an HoF. It's a good one and will probably make the Top 100 in the war countdown.

Days until War Countdown deadline: 23

The One That Got Away (1957)
Director Howard Clewes

Loved this one and what an interesting story! First it's a true an amazing story of a German WWII Luftwaffe pilot who is captured in Britain played by Hardy Krüger. You might not know his name but I bet you've seen him (Sundays and Cybèle, The Flight of the Phoenix, Barry Lyndon, A Bridge Too Far). He's a really good actor and very good here as a German pilot as he was a WWII German solider in the infantry who was also captured by the British and also escaped a number of times. Talk about art imitating life.

Thanks @James D. Gardiner I enjoyed the movie!

Good one. Glad you enjoyed it.

Days until War Countdown deadline: 22

The Bridges At Toko-Ri (1954)
Director: Mark Robson

Definitely considering this one for my ballot. This has everything I could want in a war movie, lots of actual scenes shot on a Navy aircraft carrier, lots of aerial scenes of Navy fighter planes in action, on location shooting in Tokyo and two fine actors: William Holden and Fredrick March...also Grace Kelly and Mickey Rooney too. Based on a novel, Holden is a lawyer who is called up to serve in the Korean war conflict but doesn't believe in the war and doesn't want to be there. None the less he does what is asked of him and what he's asked to do is to participant in an extremely dangerous air raid. The Bridges At Toko-Ri has a forlorn thread running through the film which makes the movie much more than just a war film.

Days until War Countdown deadline: 21

The Man Who Never Was (1956)
Director: Ronald Neame

"In order to fool the Germans into thinking the Allied invasion of Sicily will take place elsewhere, British Military Intelligence comes up with a cunning ruse."

The British sure knew how to do elaborate counter intelligence plans in WWII and they're pretty darn good at making movies about it too! This is one of my favorites and it's based on a hard to believe it was real story, but it really did happened. The cunning ruse that the British come up up with to fool the Germans, is acquiring a dead body and making it look like a British officer carry secret papers about a fake invasion of Greece. Clifton Webb is excellent in this and so is Stephen Boyd as an Irish spy working for the Nazis. Gloria Grahame was good too and she does one helluva emotional scene at a critical point in the movie were her reaction could make or break the British operation.