Pixar Movies Reviews/Thoughts

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
16. The Good Dinosaur

Release Year: 2015

For those of you worried that Inside Out was just a casual masterpiece, and that after the film Pixar would go back to struggling with the quality of their films, you were regrettably right. The Good Dinosaur is a cute addition to Pixar's library, but one that feels very amateurish and forced, that one can't help but notice that Pixar's formula was becoming a double-edged sword in this entry.

Now, the animation is breathtaking, the landscapes are probably the most beautiful I've ever seen in an animated film; most of the praise for this film are in the visuals alone. The reason this movie feels so off, is because of how much of a try hard it is. It's as if the filmmakers got so overwhelmed with delivering again on the Pixar formula, and just made everything so abundantly on the nose. The dialogue is not as fresh as it used to be, it just exposition-heavy and forced. The mature themes felt so forcefully placed it felt like Pixar was just beating you on the head while screaming "this is emotional right!!". If there's anything that keeps this movie positive for me, is the amazing bond between the dinosaur and the kid, it was the only spot in the film that felt naturally heartwarming and not forced. Arlo was also very annoying, you never want your protagonist to be like this, but the filmmakers just couldn't properly handle his character. Again, I don't think this movie is bad, it's just that the mistakes are so noticeable that I feel it's necessary to point them out. If anything, this movie is just decent.

GRADE - 60/100