JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

I really need to rewatch WALL-E. I haven't seen it since it came out, and I found it kind of boring at the time. My tastes have matured a lot since then, and I'm sure I would appreciate it more now.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
My tastes have matured a lot since then, and I'm sure I would appreciate it more now.
Talking about matured taste while it's an animaton.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Love the detailed review JayDee!
Thanks man.

I can however comment on Wall-E and your wonderful review of it.....I know it's easy to say but your review really does sum up my thoughts on the film
Thanks Daniel.

Pleased to hear it. Hope you enjoyed my review.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Ted Kotcheff

Written by
Michael Kozoll / William Sackheim
Sylvester Stallone / David Morrell (novel)

Starring
Sylvester Stallone
Richard Crenna
Brian Denehy
Bill McKinney
Jack Starrett

First Blood

Plot - John Rambo (Stallone), a Vietnam veteran and former Green Beret, has struggled to adjust to life back in America following the end of the war. Drifting from place to place he find himself in the town of Hope, Washington. Just attempting to get some food he instead finds himself being run out of town by the local sheriff, Will Teasle (Denehy). When he disregards the sheriff's instructions he finds himself arrested and thrown in jail. Harsh treatment at the hands of the local cops bring traumatic memories of his Vietnam past bubbling to the surface, and he snaps. Assaulting the police and escaping the precinct, he goes on the run and finds himself holed up in the forest surrounding the town. When events continue to escalate a large manhunt is put into operation, attracting the attention of news reporters and a certain Colonel Trautman (Crenna); the man who trained Rambo to be the warrior that he is.

First Blood is just such an awesome movie. It's a film which works as a great action flick, one of the best of the genre in fact, but there's also more to it than that. It works as a character study of this man who has been pushed to his limit as he realises he's in a world that doesn't want him anymore. Some people probably dismiss this film because of the dumb, over the top sequels that followed and forget that this film is a lot more, a real mix of action and heart. Or as I seem to remember reading somewhere, it's a film which has 'a moral behind its mayhem.'

John Rambo is a supremely scarred individual, both physically and mentally, who is right on the edge of his sanity. And unfortunately for him and anyone who gets in his way, he stumbles upon the perfect storm of circumstances that will just push him over that edge. The film is quite clearly a metaphor for the Vietnam War and its fallout. The United States government trained young men to kill and then sent them to hell to do just that. The big question, and one that proved difficult to answer, is what do you do when you bring them back home? Veterans of that particular war returned him to find that the people they thought they were fighting for despised them. They struggled to readjust to life in the States, struggled to find a job and struggled to find a place where they felt welcome. And most of all struggled with the psychological after-effects of warfare.

Many people dismiss Sylvester Stallone as an actor, and place him firmly in the category of 'action star' alongside the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal. In my eyes however that is doing him a great dis-service. While the aforementioned may have degrees of charm and screen presence, in terms of acting ability Stallone is definitely on another level to them. Yes he may not always have shown it, but to be fair many of his films haven't called for it. However in the likes of Copland, the Rocky series and here in First Blood he was able to show that he can actually act, despite what many may think. He is excellent here, almost on a par with Rocky as his most touching and heartfelt performance. He brings a terrifically wild intensity to the role of John Rambo, making him less of a man at times and more of a wild, wounded animal. But at the same time he imbues the character with a real sense of sympathy, particularly at the end where he breaks down and ends up babbling almost incoherently. It's just one of those occasions now where it is impossible to picture anyone else having played the part.

Film trivia – As the first non-Rocky film of his career not to bomb, this film was hugely important for Stallone. It could very easily not have happened for him however as numerous other actors were initially offered the role but turned it down. This included James Garner, Nick Nolte, Al Pacino, Michael Douglas and Dustin Hoffman. Other actors considered for the role included Jeff Bridges, Robert de Niro, Clint Eastwood, Al Pacino and John Travolta; while at one point the studio were interested in making the film with Kris Kristofferson as Rambo, Gene Hackman as the sheriff and Lee Marvin as Col. Troutman.
And the fact that Stallone does so much of the heavy lifting by himself, and that we can clearly see it, just adds so much to immerse you in the film. His training in survival skills and hand-to-hand combat give the character and the film a real air of authenticity and excitement. Though if the film were to be made these days I think those insuring the film wouldn't be all that keen on him undertaking so much. I mean at one point when he is navigating his way through the caves with a handmade torch he literally is playing with fire. Although while it may have worked for the film, doing his own stunts didn't always work out that well for Sly. While filming his part of the stunt which sees Rambo leap from a cliff into a tree, Stallone actually broke one of his ribs when he hit the branch. As a result not much acting was required when it came to expressing the character's pain. He also gave himself a fright when he placed his hand on top of a gunfire squib. The pain was so intense that he didn't want to look at his hand for fear it had blown his thumb off.

Perhaps his level of performance was lifted here as a result of those surrounding him, as he does have some terrific support in the forms of Brian Denehy and Richard Crenna. This is particularly true of Denehy who lifts the character above its rather one dimensional nature. It is perhaps one of the film's only weaknesses that we never really get to understand the motivation of the sheriff and the other cops. We can understand why the sheriff perhaps doesn't want his kind around the town but why does he have such intense hatred for Rambo? It's the same case for every one of the town's cops, save for David Caruso's rookie; you could accuse them of being stereotypical small time cops. Apparently the original novel did give a reason why Denehy's Teasle had such contempt for Rambo, that he had been a veteran of the Korean war which had been all but forgotten while the Vietnam war had garnered such attention. This plot point was dropped from the movie however.

Film Trivia – If Sylvester Stallone had his way originally then this film would not even exist today. He hated the film's first cut so much they he tried to buy the film back and destroy it; he was sure it would damage his career that much. When he was unable to do so however, he suggested to the producers that they cut much of his part and allow the rest of the characters to tell the story. As such the film's running time was cut in half from that first cut, and set a precedent for many future action movies.
The whole episode could easily have been avoided had it not been for the male ego and 'pride' of the characters, particularly of Deputy Galt. Infuriated by the demeanour and attitude of Rambo he assaults him in his cell, kick-starting the whole incident. And then his personal quest for vengeance is what escalates a simple escaped prisoner into an all-out war. So all in all, very much avoidable. So perhaps this too is also a comment on the Vietnam War? Though in a way I wonder was Rambo happy somewhat for this war to commence. The character was a bit of a lost soul, wandering aimlessly. This battle however places him back in his element, doing what he has been created to do. In a tragic way it's like going back home for the character. The character only knows how to be a warrior, even one no one wants one.

I love the rural setting that is provided for First Blood, indeed it's probably one of my favourites in all of cinema. The dense forest, the rugged terrain, the nightmarish caverns - they are all so evocative and full of character, and handsomely photographed. While at the same time they work as a way of transporting Rambo's mind back to the hell of Vietnam. And then there is the town of Hope itself, a classic slice of small town America. As such it proves a perfect representative for America as a whole and the feelings that plagued the country post-Vietnam.

All of this is not to say that the film doesn't work as a piece of pure action. Indeed I'd rank it amongst the best the genre has to offer. It's a lean, mean piece that features some excellent set-pieces and stuntwork. The violence is realistic and visceral but without being over the top. It is a truly riveting film and as action movies go, is just about perfect. It also features a fantastic score from Jerry Goldsmith, especially the signature First Blood theme. Oh and lastly I love the song that closes the film out, a tremendously 80s-style power ballad by the name of “It's a Long Road” by Dan Hill. I just love the moment where that kicks in as the character is led away, before freeze framing on his face.

Conclusion - I knew that I loved First Blood but it's only with a couple of recent rewatches that I remembered just how much. It's tremendous stuff; a tense and enthralling film that works as an ultimate example of the action film, but one that also has a degree of smarts to it and a sociopolitical message at its core. With a strong trio of central performances at its heart and gripping action I imagine this is a film I will continue to enjoy time and time again.

You know how much I love this film. I think we both feel very similarly about this film and get similar feelings while watching it.

However, for me, this is also one of my childhood 'comfort films', like Convoy or Dawn Of The Dead. I think I love watching it more than I actually enjoy watching it, if you know what I mean.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I need to see First Blood again ( which is why I'm not reading your review, JayDee. You know my rule.) It's not typically my type of movie, but I did like it and I was pretty invested in it. Lots I can't remember which would be my reason for the need to see it again.

One of a couple franchises I need to get round to reviewing.
Huh. For some reason I was sure you had already reviewed the Rambo flicks. Must just be getting mixed up with appearances on your top 100 list or best of the genre lists.

Another great review.
Thanks fella. And he's a master people! So what he says is the truth!

You know how much I love this film.

However, for me, this is also one of my childhood 'comfort films', like Convoy or Dawn Of The Dead. I think I love watching it more than I actually enjoy watching it, if you know what I mean.
Indeed I do. I knew you were going to be happy with it while I was writing.

I'm with you there. It maybe came a little later than the likes of Lethal Weapon and Beverly Hills Cop for me but it's in that kind of group. I think I'd be lying if I said I knew what you meant! But I'll give it a shot. Do you mean that while you 'enjoy' the film itself what you really 'love' is the sensation it gives you; a sort of warm, comfortable, nostalgic feeling?

Although considering how much you love the film I'm hurt that there was no mention of the review's quality. I know it was no Unbreakable but come on man!!!

Oh and also, this is something I've only done 2 or 3 times before, but First Blood was one of those films (usually from the 70s and 80s) that was blessed with a huge amount of awesome poster designs from all over the world when it was initially released. It has also been the subject of several alternative designs in recent years.

So just for you HK here's a selection of other First Blood posters that I could have gone with

--- ---

--- ---

--- ---

--- ---

---

It's for Sexy too!
Seriously -- my heart jumped for joy when it saw all that Sylvester Stallone.

Honeykid would never do things to Sylvester Stallone that I would. (I don't think...)

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
First Blood is a very underrated film.
I wouldn't say it was underrated, it's a great movie but not underated.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Great review JD. One of my favs aswell. Definitely much more than just an action movie.

Kris Kristofferson as Rambo, Gene Hackman as the sheriff and Lee Marvin as Col. Troutman.
Dare I say that this combo may have made the film even better? except perhaps Kristofferson as Rambo.

Wow that was certainly popular. Think I set a new personal record for hitting double figures in terms of rep - a mere 24 hours. I love when I hit 10 reps because it's a nice number but in a Mr. Monk kind of way it appeals to my OCD. A nice round number. I've got a couple of films (The Sessions, Wall-e) sitting on 9 if anyone wants to help out.

Great review JD. One of my favs aswell.
Thanks Gandalf.

First Blood is a very underrated film.
Welcome to the thread Guap. And I agree that it's underrated. As an action film it's well regarded but just as a film in general I don't think it gets enough credit.

It's for Sexy too!
No it's not! HK read, repped and responded to my review so this was a reward for him. Sexy did not of that so I'm sorry Sexy, but no Stallone for you! Although I can't actually do anything to stop you so I need you to do the honourable thing and ignore the posters.

Do you mean that while you 'enjoy' the film itself what you really 'love' is the sensation it gives you; a sort of warm, comfortable, nostalgic feeling?
Yes, I think that's pretty close.

Although considering how much you love the film I'm hurt that there was no mention of the review's quality. I know it was no Unbreakable but come on man!!!
Do I have to pat you on the head every time you do something well? I mean, I will, and it was a good review, but then, you knew that already.

No it's not! HK read, repped and responded to my review so this was a reward for him. Sexy did not of that so I'm sorry Sexy, but no Stallone for you! Although I can't actually do anything to stop you so I need you to do the honourable thing and ignore the posters.
I repped your reviews.

Just a little note by the way for anyone who is new to the thread or didn't see me mention in the past - I am currently revisiting many of my favourite films as I work on my new top 100 lists. That's why there are so many films rated 4.5 and 5 just now. Just in case people thought I was the most insanely generous rater ever, that no matter what I watched I happened to love.

Do I have to pat you on the head every time you do something well? I mean, I will, and it was a good review, but then, you knew that already.
Yes. Yes you do! I'm very insecure and in need of constant reassurance. Just good? You said Unbreakable was excellent.

I repped your reviews.
Really? I noticed you repped Sunset Boulevard but didn't think you'd done any others. Well assuming I've made a mistake (or just to be nice) here's a gesture to make it up to you.