movie titles: bad translations!

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by chicagofrog
Evil's Thirst (1958)
Touch of Evil ?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
In any event, it has nothing to do with translation (they speaky English in Australia, dig?).
Ooooooooooo sorry

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
My favorite ever is the Japanese title for Leaving Las Vegas, which translates back as I'm Drunk and You're a Prostitute.
Evidently, that isn't correct.

Here is the article about it.

The Ongoing Saga of the Chinese Movie Title List

A novel adaptation.
How about the translation of Tasogare Seibei (Twilight "Seibei"<--- the name of the protagonist) to the much more American title of Twilight Samurai?

And yet again we've managed to illegitimate Asian cinema.

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Loner
yep! bravo! Loner!!

Touch of Evil ?
("Evil's Thirst")

yep again!

Because they don't have the term Duplex over there?
so, Monkeypunch, how do they call a two store apartment with stairs leading to the second floor in British????

just TWO left!:

It Was Tomorrow (1979) stands for Time After Time (Nicholas Meyer)
problem is, there already exists a movie with the title:
It Happened Tomorrow (René Clair 1943)!!!!!!!!!!
so people may mix them up only in French!
a good example of the problem created by bad (distant, inaccurate) translations

Suspended Death (2003) (which i think doesn't sound so bad) = Touching the Void (Kevin MacDonald)

which could've been translated to "Toucher le vide" without any problem!
so what's the point of those translations?

and why not translate others then, like: Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Blow Out, Hollywood Ending... that stay in English???

and this week comes to Germany: National Treasure (2004) which of course they had to rename - i'm at a loss to find any good reason - to The Legacy of the Templars (das Vermächtnis der Tempelritter)!!!!!! what the hell?

(i'm a translator and get paid for doing that, but i still have some principles left )

history *is* moralizing
strange thing we have this word in French and in American English! then again, French have no flat but an appartement (apartment)...

history *is* moralizing
well, ok, this one is not an especially bad translation to German, but tis simply NO German at all:

Der Manchurian Kandidat
obvious what movie it is,
problem is: are they so ignorant that they don't even know the German word for that people, the Manchu(rian)s?
were they too lazy to look in the dictionary and find out there IS a German word designing them?
tis like there were a German movie they would translate in the US to *"the Deutsch Patient" or something like that!

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Heres, one, what is Haute Tension been called in english?
hehe, so you want us to read ALL of yr posts!!??
good self-advertizing by the way!
u from England right? cuz in the US, they actually translated it as far as i know: High Tension
but in England, dya mean Switchblade Romance? i thought it was a joke! but tis quite poetic to say the truth... not true to the French title, but poetic...

history *is* moralizing
Dirty Pretty Things appears as Far From Home (Loin de chez eux) in Romance-speaking Switzerland!!!!!!!!! Even *froggies do better!

but but but... i hope at least there's no Anglo-Saxon movie called Far From Home, or how would they translate the title in Switzerland??

yep, Switchblade Romance does have a certain ring to it, i prefer it to High Tension, although i should probably see the film 1st

history *is* moralizing
yep, Switchblade Romance does have a certain ring to it, i prefer it to High Tension, although i should probably see the film 1st
mmh, after you've seen it, you may wanna translate it as *Low Tension

history *is* moralizing
Apt Pupil (one of the last movies seen by our friend Sedai, thanx, Sed!) is In French: Un Eté de corruption = A Summer of Corruption...

aiaiai!

bad translations! the other direction.

****ing Åmål , known as Show Me Love.

Sen and the Mysterious Disappearance of Chihiro, is the literal english translation of a film otherwise known as.......
If you've seen the film, its a bit of a give away

history *is* moralizing
Sen and the Mysterious Disappearance of Chihiro, is the literal english translation of a film otherwise known as.......
If you've seen the film, its a bit of a give away
??? i have to admit i don't know...

a few more examples that Germany is far worse than France in movie title translations, taken from this week'S TV program:

Begrabt die Wölfe in die Schlucht = Bury the Wolves in the Canyon

... Billy Two Hats, T. Kotcheff 1973 !!!!!!!!!

Die Geier warten schon = The Vultures Are Already Waiting

... Showdown, G. Seaton 1973 !!!!!!!!!

Der Preis für 1 Million = The Price For 1 Million

...Money For Nothing, R. Menendez 1993 !!! quite the opposite meaning!

and the worst among the worst:

Just Run... yep, in English!!!!!! so tis NOT for the sake of the German language, is it?? is the German title for the Spanish movie Tú qué harías por amor? = What would you do for the sake of love?
not only they make no effort to translate the title, they invent a title that has nothing in common with the original, plus they put it in English!!
Mama Mia!!!!!!... i've seen everything...