Vote 2008. Presidential Race

Tools    

It matters because that means it didn't pose an immediate threat to you, just like Vietnam didn't.
Oh you mean our allies are just to be ignored?

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
Man, you really paint with a broad brush don't you? The American populous can be understood with one big swipe called 'you people'.
You people meaning the majority. I didn't think I needed to pay so much attention to semantics so you would understand what I was saying. Although I suspect you just wanted to be a pain in the ass

Btw, suddenly, you get upset when others (seemingly) generalize, but the conclusion that one Christian depicted as a hysterical old woman means all Christians are hysterical and desperate somehow makes sense...

You didn't read all of those links I put up the last time we discussed the legality of the war in Iraq and how it was backed and by whom. If you did, you wouldn't be using the same language you used before I posted them. It's either that or your stubborn refusal to believe in the actual evidence versus your own twisted version of the truth.
I did read "some" of those links and I'd rather take the opinion of the world's leading experts on international law than a few American bureaucrats, thanks. But right now, we're talking about the fact that the war was started (at least to my knowledge) because of the "suspicion" that they had WOMD. Or was it started because Saddam was a bad man who oppressed a lot of people and you just wanted to help because you're just a bunch of selfless bleeding hearts? And yes, by "you" I mean every single American.

Mistakes were made, without a doubt but you can't on one hand say Bush is the stupidest person on the planet and on the other say he is capable of the most secretive and well executed military coup in the history of the world with an eye toward complete global domination.
Hyperbole FTW. Gimme a break man, it's not exactly secretive or particularly clever if the entire world knows what's going on...:\

Guys, this is a good discussion, and I don't want to stifle it. But we have many other threads on Iraq and such, so I think it's best to keep these sorts of post confined to those threads, especially since the 2008 election is a worthy topic on its own and shouldn't be crowded out.

If you guys want to continue this, I'll gladly move the posts in question to an existing thread (Equilibrium's "war criminal" thread, perhaps?) or to a new one. Do you guys have any preference?

I have absolutely no idea where you picked that up but it couldn't be further from the truth. What the hell are you reading/watching anyways? For someone who seeks to be fairly judged you certainly have trouble reciprocating.
Really? So to you, it would be logical to conclude that on the whole, racists would be more likely to be liberals and vote for Democrats? Astounding!

So to oppose Obama philosophically regardless of his skin color and not vote for him makes me a racist in your eyes? I think that makes me the opposite of racist because I can clearly articulate WHY I would vote against him and which of his stances I disagree with whatever color his skin happens to be.

I won't be voting for him just to prove I'm not a racist which would be, according to your post, the wisest choice.
Pretty idiotic. But I never suggested that so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

What I suggested was that there are a sh!tload of racists in your country and some of the apolitical ones may even be compelled to go out and vote against Obama if he ends up running for the president. Now seeing as how the majority of your citizens voted for Bush even after the disastrous Iraq war, that leads me to believe that you're more conservatively inclined than ever...I'm not saying it's gonna be a landslide if Obama does end up running, but those votes may prove to be crucial.

Also, I'd love to see the day when the official republican candidate is a member of an ethnic minority or a woman...:\
Having trouble reading? I NEVER said anything of the sort so PLEASE, for the love of God, stop putting words in my mouth.

Guys, this is a good discussion, and I don't want to stifle it. But we have many other threads on Iraq and such, so I think it's best to keep these sorts of post confined to those threads, especially since the 2008 election is a worthy topic on its own and shouldn't be crowded out.

If you guys want to continue this, I'll gladly move the posts in question to an existing thread (Equilibrium's "war criminal" thread, perhaps?) or to a new one. Do you guys have any preference?
Any thread is fine, or maybe even a new one, just let me know where.

Originally Posted by Adi
You people meaning the majority. I didn't think I needed to pay so much attention to semantics so you would understand what I was saying. Although I suspect you just wanted to be a pain in the ass..
You didn't, in my opinion, accurately represent the whole which is why I took issue with it.

Originally Posted by Adi
Btw, suddenly, you get upset when others (seemingly) generalize, but the conclusion that one Christian depicted as a hysterical old woman means all Christians are hysterical and desperate somehow makes sense...
Are you talking about the movie discussion from weeks ago? That's relevant to this discussion? I said in The Man From Earth I believe that the christian professor was meant to be representative of a common thought. I still believe she was meant to represent the 'unthinking' religious population with a particular focus on Christianity but none of that is relevant here as that was a film discussion.
Originally Posted by Adi
I did read "some" of those links and I'd rather take the opinion of the world's leading experts on international law than a few American bureaucrats, thanks. But right now, we're talking about the fact that the war was started (at least to my knowledge) because of the "suspicion" that they had WOMD. Or was it started because Saddam was a bad man who oppressed a lot of people and you just wanted to help because you're just a bunch of selfless bleeding hearts? And yes, by "you" I mean every single American.
It was beyond suspicion. Iraq had a nuclear program, they had a method of delivery purchased from the Russians and they were seeking a way to enrich uranium (they had almost two tons of it, it was removed in 2004). It's all in the documentation I linked which is, by the way, the UN resolution and not produced by American bureaucrats. Do you have any links from credible sources to back up your claims, btw, I'd like to read them.
Originally Posted by Yoda
Something tells me I could talk and talk and back it up all day with credible sources (as I've done in the past two arguments) and it wouldn't get anywhere. I'm tired of banging my head on this particular wall so I'll table further discussion from my end.

Really? So to you, it would be logical to conclude that on the whole, racists would be more likely to be liberals and vote for Democrats? Astounding!
No, to me it would be logical to NOT make broad sweeping statements like suggesting that most racists in America are republicans (and most republicans are racists) and judge everyone on an individual basis.

Having trouble reading? I NEVER said anything of the sort so PLEASE, for the love of God, stop putting words in my mouth.
I don't believe I am. In response to Yoda asking you to link racism to voting for Bush you said:
Originally Posted by adidasss
I may be talking out of my ass, but I was under the impression that the vast majority of racists in your country are in fact conservatives=republicans. I'd love for you people to prove me wrong and vote for Obama, but as I said, I have a feeling that's not likely to happen. We shall see...
That statement says to me that a vote in for Obama would alleviate your suspicions that conservative americans are racist. Which also says the opposite, if Obama were not voted in it would support your belief that conservative americans are racist.

You could, of course, just come right out say what you believe which would nullify all of this interpretation.

It was beyond suspicion. Iraq had a nuclear program, they had a method of delivery purchased from the Russians and they were seeking a way to enrich uranium (they had almost two tons of it, it was removed in 2004). It's all in the documentation I linked which is, by the way, the UN resolution and not produced by American bureaucrats. Do you have any links from credible sources to back up your claims, btw, I'd like to read them.
About the war in Iraq, yeah, I provided them in the appropriate thread.
Something tells me I could talk and talk and back it up all day with credible sources (as I've done in the past two arguments) and it wouldn't get anywhere. I'm tired of banging my head on this particular wall so I'll table further discussion from my end.
Yeah me too, but I've got a bit of extra time and nothing else to do at the moment so here we are, repeating the same ***** over and over again...

most racists in America are republicans (and most republicans are racists)
Orly? So, since most homosexuals are democrats, most democrats are gay? Sweeeeet!

About the war in Iraq, yeah, I provided them in the appropriate thread.
Yeah me too, but I've got a bit of extra time and nothing else to do at the moment so here we are, repeating the same ***** over and over again...
Why do we keep doing this?

You're fun to argue with, I suppose and that's a compliment.

Orly? So, since most homosexuals are democrats, most democrats are gay? Sweeeeet!
And you took issue with me saying that woman in the film was a representative reactionary?!

Why do we keep doing this?
Because I'm right and I'm just trying to show you the light but you stubbornly refuse to see things my way?

And you took issue with me saying that woman in the film was a representative reactionary?!
I think you missed the sarcasm... I never said most Republicans are racists, that was your flawed deduction...

Because I'm right and I'm just trying to show you the light but you stubbornly refuse to see things my way?
pot, meet kettle.

I think you missed the sarcasm... I never said most Republicans are racists, that was your flawed deduction...
I didn't miss it, I just chose to make light of it because that's how you came across when you coupled 'sh!tloads of racists' with 'majority of racists are conservative=repubs' but whatever. That was your flawed deduction cause I'm sure you don't have documentation to support that view.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Because of just that or because of any other reason?
I think he uses a lot of common sense. I've watched a lot of his clips on youtube where he's spoke and he seems to be honest. I like his stance on gay marriage, ending the Iraq War. I'm not so sure about health care, but he'll support vouchers at least, so hopefully it won't be a situation where you can only go to certain doctors.

Also because of his history of the philabuster and pushes in the Civil Rights movement.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
At the risk of an adidasss type generalisation....it always amazes me how 'you people' (Americans) actually care about the elections. In the UK, we know that people have dies for our rights to vote and stuff, and most of us do vote, but we don't actually like the candidates in the way that you like yours. Politicians are tolerated with a weary cynicism by the media and the public alike. It's always a case of 'I voted for him because he wasn't quite as bad as the other lot'. We don't have rallys. A few fundraisers in village halls, perhaps, but that's about it. In many ways I admire the lack of cynicism. I do think if people didn't dislike politicians so much, they might get better ones. But on the other side of the coin the a little cynicism wouldn't go amiss with some of your potential candidates...

Still, every time anyone complains about UK or US political systems and politicians, I just feel thankful not to live in Kenya.

I am having a nervous breakdance
At the risk of an adidasss type generalisation....it always amazes me how 'you people' (Americans) actually care about the elections. In the UK, we know that people have dies for our rights to vote and stuff, and most of us do vote, but we don't actually like the candidates in the way that you like yours. Politicians are tolerated with a weary cynicism by the media and the public alike. It's always a case of 'I voted for him because he wasn't quite as bad as the other lot'. We don't have rallys. A few fundraisers in village halls, perhaps, but that's about it. In many ways I admire the lack of cynicism. I do think if people didn't dislike politicians so much, they might get better ones. But on the other side of the coin the a little cynicism wouldn't go amiss with some of your potential candidates...

Still, every time anyone complains about UK or US political systems and politicians, I just feel thankful not to live in Kenya.
An American presidential election is totally focused on the individual candidates while, for instance, a Swedish election for the parliament is much more focused on party politics - even if the party leaders make a lot of difference. But I think while in USA it's not uncommon to vote for a likeable candidate even if you don't agree with everything he or she is saying, in Sweden it's not uncommon to vote for a political party even if you dislike the potential Prime Minister. Just speculating, of course, but I think I might have a point here.

We don't have presidents - we have a king who's someone we can't elect (luckily for him).

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

You're a Genius all the time
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
We don't have presidents - we have a king who's someone we can't elect (luckily for him).
The United States desperately needs a royal family, if only to compensate for the unintentional comedy we'll no longer get with Bush/Cheney out of the White House. Obviously it would be a completely powerless and meaningless title, but I think we need something like that. We'd still have the president and all that jazz, but we'd also get a whole smorgasbord of novelty Dukes and Princesses and whatnot. I say we elect the Kennedys/Shrivers/Schwarzeneggers to be our official royal family and give Arnie a throne and maybe even a crown because he deserves it, dammit.