Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Ironically, you're making a lot of presumptions about myself. Pot, I would like to introduce you to a little friend called "kettle".

If anything, you are demonstrating the kind of holier-than-thou attitude that generated so much frustration towards the movie in the first place. Everytime someone tried to point out their disliking of the trailer back then, they're either dismissed as sexist or, in your case, condescendingly attacked as a blind 'hater' who 'regurgitate' the same complaints without actually acknowledging the validity of said complaints. A lot of more sensible reviewers who are avid supporters of the new film have actually bothered to take those complaints into consideration, but of course, there's the other camp like yourself who are too good for that sort of thing and would just take the easy route of dismissing people's claims as tin-foil paranoids.

Since we're playing the hypocrisy game here, I think I shall pay my favors as well and do unto you what you did unto me.

tl;dr, don't care what you just said.

God, I love this community already. Can't wait to meet more people like you, Iroquack.
See, the thing about that is...how exactly have you proven my "presumptions" wrong? Your original post was still attacking the film sight unseen by referencing the critical opinions of others and proclaiming it a disaster that "proved the haters right" before its opening weekend was even finished (even though it ended up getting generally decent reviews and didn't underperform at the box office). That is why I questioned the validity of your complaints and pointed out the flaws in your logic, yet all you've done in response is insult me and repeat yourself. The fact that you don't give any indication that you've actually seen the film for yourself does not help your point about "regurgitating" complaints (because, again, how exactly is what you're doing here any different?). It's one thing to have legitimate criticisms of the film (and I acknowledge that there are legitimate criticisms to be made - I've seen the film and would currently give it a
), but there's nothing in any of your posts to suggest that you're able to make those criticisms yourself. Combine that with your general rudeness (i.e. responding to a counter-argument by saying "I don't care what you said", which makes you sound like a troll) and any legitimacy your posts may have is thoroughly undermined, which is why people are liable to think of you as a "blind hater" regardless of whether or not you have any good points.

Also, there are a lot of people like me in this community. We may disagree over many things, but we still manage to keep our arguments civil and respectful while still being willing to accept that we may not have all the answers and can learn something from our discussions even when we are in the wrong. If your posts in this thread are any indication, you might have to reconsider your approach if you want other people to take you seriously on here.

By the way, between Sony suing Murray for not participating in the movie and the smear campaign against legitimate criticisms by even the actresses and director himself, I don't think the 'books' are looking so good for the movie, especially in terms of how the Internet - just only one of the largest population on the planet, that's all - is going to remember it. Similar unfairness by other companies performed against people by large corporations like EA and Konami were merely remembered today for their atrocities, not for this delusional dream world you conjured, Iroq. Their actions speak for themselves and a lot of people are not stupid enough to suddenly forget these things or ignore them, so I don't really care if you're just going to pull another passage of accusation out of your ass about how these haters really are according to your perception, you can't change reality - but go ahead, really, I would love to see you waste your time.
That can be considered a false equivalence. People were prepared to call this the worst movie of all-time off the basis of a couple of bad trailers (which the actual filmmakers had nothing to do with so they are not the best reflection of the movie itself) and were downrating it on IMDb as soon as voting opened, so it's not like the creators had much reason to treat the hate seriously (not even the "legitimate criticisms", which would not have meant anything until the film had actually come out and been seen by people) and I'm not sure you can fault them too much for not suffering fools lightly. You may argue that people will remember Ghostbusters in a bad way because of how the creators dismissed the haters, but I'd also contend that it's also very likely that people will remember how Ghostbusters managed to succeed in spite of all the people who were so invested in seeing it fail (especially those who had bad reasons for wanting it to fail). Also, if we're going to talk about "reality" then Ghostbusters actually looks a whole lot better - it has a good RT score and so far it hasn't flopped, so it's looking very likely that its reputation as an all-around solid film will overcome the outrage. It won't be able to win everyone over, but it should be able to win enough of them over.

Also, if we're going to talk about "reality" then Ghostbusters actually looks a whole lot better - it has a good RT score and so far it hasn't flopped, so it's looking very likely that its reputation as an all-around solid film will overcome the outrage. It won't be able to win everyone over, but it should be able to win enough of them over.
Well Red Letter Media didn't like it and you all saw what that did for the prequels. I hope it does flop so Amy Pascal (literally the stupidest person in Hollywood) gets demoted (again).

Well Red Letter Media didn't like it and you all saw what that did for the prequels. I hope it does flop so Amy Pascal (literally the stupidest person in Hollywood) gets demoted (again).
That means nothing. They're not a credible review source.

Yeah, I don't get why people in this thread are trying to use reviews to "prove" that this movie is bad, especially when most of the (professional) ones featured on RT are "fresh". Even counting that as an appeal to authority only shows how arbitrary it is to use other people's reviews as proof that your side is right.

Originally Posted by Tang
Similar unfairness by other companies performed against people by large corporations like EA and Konami were merely remembered today for their atrocities, not for this delusional dream world you conjured, Iroq.
Let's get one thing straight: There's nothing unfair about the truth. And the truth is EA are unrepentently greedy scumbags.

When I think about it, the viewpoint I have will probably be seen as subjective to you, maybe it's just dependent on taste in comedy.

The 2nd half of Spy focuses on 3 female leads for most of the time. The rich bitchy girl, McCarthy and the British girl, I forget the names.
I didn't believe them to be good enough actresses to deliver jokes without sounding very abrupt and bland(or phony). When they were confined to more of their own character tropes (like in the first half, with Jude Law being alive still) they had a subtlety with the humor that I was very fond of and it didn't try to overdo itself. I really did enjoy the first half of the film.

The 2nd half follows only one type of humor, the range isn't there anymore. It's very loud and obnoxious, and forgets the somewhat plausible and smarter surroundings it had before. Once they amp up McCarthy and only focus on the three women I just found it extremely dull. I'm not saying that I find actresses dull or female comedians dull, but they failed to leave a discernible impression with the humor. It feels very confined as a comedy once it relies on nothing but McCarthy and the other girls to save the day.
This just sounds to me like you didn't find any of the actresses (or the delivery of their lines) funny. That's just a matter of personal taste, and it's perfectly fine for you to have that opinion (I didn't find Spy that funny either), but it doesn't actually answer the question I asked.

You said that Feig's humour is often "girly", and I asked what that meant. Does that mean it only appeals to female audiences (and if so, why?), or that it deals with subjects that are feminine in nature (again, what would an example of that even be? Vagina jokes?). Is the humour "girly" to you just because it's being delivered by women?

That means nothing. They're not a credible review source.
More credible than RT lmao. Anyway I was talking about it's reputation and you may be too young to remember but people only really started hating the Star Wars prequels after those Plinkett videos.

More credible than RT lmao. Anyway I was talking about it's reputation and you may be too young to remember but people only really started hating the Star Wars prequels after those Plinkett videos.
It's not like the two are really comparable, though - one is a rating aggregate site that collects a large quantity of critics' opinions in order to provide a general consensus whereas the other appears to be a singular entity capable of expressing a comparatively limited number of opinions. While I can acknowledge that RT has its flaws (especially on the basis of its rather simple "fresh/rotten" binary), it is still reflecting a loosely collective opinion instead of an effectively individual one so to try to emphasise RedLetterMedia as if it alone is of more worth than literally hundreds of other professional critical opinions put together comes across as illogical. Also, this is the first I'm hearing of it being so responsible for prequel hatred and, now that I know that, I'm not sure what difference it really makes.

to try to emphasise RedLetterMedia as if it alone is of more worth than literally hundreds of other professional critical opinions put together comes across as illogical.
I'd never try to emphasize that, although they really might be - critics make fools of themselves all the time. But I'm talking in the objective vis a vis reputation. It's only competition was The Secret Life of Pets (which had half the budget) and it lost. Just saying we can probably throw this one in with Amy Pascal's other projects (Pixels, The Emoji Movie, Barbie) and Sony can continue being the film industry equivalent of the short bus.

To Cosmic, yes I found the humor to be very feminine and more geared towards things that girls would have more interest or connection with.

I trust Rotten Tomatoes more than a bunch of crazy YouTubers.

You said that Feig's humour is often "girly", what would an example of that even be? Vagina jokes?
( -_-) Yeaaahhh... I'm not gettin' that either.

( -_-) Yeaaahhh... I'm not gettin' that either.
That's because girls don't exist on your planet.

I'm just going to put a spoilers warning for this whole post.

I enjoyed this much more than I thought I was going to. I liked most of the characters and there was a pretty good amount of funny lines.

That said, I do think this movie had a good share of problems, overall ones and specific ones. I really suck at arranging my thoughts, so I'm just going to bullet point everything that bothered me in this movie;

* It always felt like it was chopped up a lot, I can only image the editing room was hell. They kept bringing in these ideas and then ditching them really quickly, or making unnatural jumps from one scene to another, or bringing everything to a screeching halt for a cameo appearance (Janine's was the best one because it actually felt natural. Edit: Ernie Hudson's fit, too).

* There's a point in the movie where they act like Erin left (she's separated from them for a bit then comes back, saves the other three, and then one of the remaining ones declares "Welcome back!") but she never actually left them. She went to a different location but there was never any indication she was there because she left the team or anything, it looked like she was just hanging out in her house.

* Later Erin jumps into some kind of ghost dimension thing to save Abby (using the most convenient rope ever, super long but just long enough to stop being they hit whatever killed Rowan ) and the two have a brief moment where she says she's "not going to leave you again". I guess it's referring to her ditching her once she stopped believing in ghosts, but they hadn't brought that up for like an hour, and she seemed vaguely irritated by it at worst, why is this worth bringing up now? It actually makes me kind of upset, because that could have done something with that if they just made it more clear Abby was hurt by being left. Establish that both were mocked for believing in ghosts (I guess they...kind of did so? Abby brushed it off and they don't make it clear if she saw ghosts herself or just believed the other one), and then have her bring up at some point that having the one friend who believed her stop doing so hurt, because I'm sure it would. The moment in the ghost dimension thing (seriously, I have no idea what that was) could have been so much more effective.

Also, and I'm not particularly familiar with it so feel free to correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure the original Ghostbusters wasn't trying particularly hard to have emotional moments, so if they'd set up some nice ones like they were clearly trying to do there that could have been something unique to it.

It's possible the line is meant to be in reference to the aforementioned part where the movie acts like she left but she didn't, but, again, that never happened, and even if it did the same complaints would apply. No one seemed bothered by her being gone, it didn't lead to Abby being in danger, there was no reason to bring it up.

* The worst part of this entire movie was the villain. He was an unholy combo of cliches, rushed writing (can't even be bothered to have his backstory naturally come out? We have to have him monologue to a mirror?), wasted potential (why bother setting up parallels to the heroes if you're going to just briefly bring them up for a gag like that? And I'm sure SOMETHING could have been done with him using their book. Maybe some guilt that they kind of gave him blueprints to destroy the planet) and illogical bull crud (so does every ghost in this universe gain reality warping powers upon death?).Every time he showed up I wanted him to get his butt off screen.

* There were some notable moments of stupidity. I liked Patty, but the fact that she apparently quit her job despite thinking the Ghostbusters were just like a "book club" makes me question her intelligence. Erin deciding to just yell at the mayor instead of explaining what she found that indicates everyone's in danger wasn't exactly a stroke of brilliance either.

(Clearly, I am much better at complaining than complimenting. I liked it, I swear. )

That thing with the pacing is something that keeps coming up in almost every review I've read. Even the good reviews.

This contains a lot of swearing, be warned.

Well, for the $144m budget, they've made back a total worldwide box office of $80m.
Only $19m of that comes from outside of the USA.

Which is really, really bad, seeing as the movie was released outside the USA 11 days ago. $19m in 11 days.