MONSTER MOVIE!!! Your favorite one, and why?!

Tools    

As soon as you watch and discuss the theories involving this flick (no actual spoilers posted so far), then I'd say to give it a Go!
Looks good, and pretty interesting. I've heard you talk about The Innocents before. Your suggestion sounds like a plan. (Except you don't even like The Blair Witch Project, do you? )

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I can talk for hours about movies I don't like, besides that would give me a reason to rewatch the flick and see the error of my ways.

Coppollas Dracula was good, but Carpenters The Thing was better. . . . Glad they havent remade this one.
Carpenter's The Thing was itself a remake of a 1950s classic of the same name. But surely you knew that. The original is my favorite space alien monster thingy because there are fewer and simpler special effects, a better script with much more interesting dialog, more subtle, things hinted at and left to one's imagination, which I find is always more suspenseful than actually seeing it on screen. Didn't care for the gore of the remake.

Like the original The Haunting because the suspense is created through good dialog, great acting, virtually no special effects, and you never, ever see the ghosts or monsters or whatever is going whimper, giggle, bang in the night. It is in mho the scarest story ever put on film.

Another great spooky movie, Night of the Demon. Again, the mood is created primarily by dialog and acting. The director didn't even want to show the demon, but the studio insisted. Still the actual image is used only twice and for as short a time as possible. It's the exchange between the humans that builds the suspense.

All three of the films, including the original The Thing (from another planet), have three things in common. They were all shot in B&W (as are all the best spook films, in my opinion). they were all made 40-50 years ago, and I saw all three in my youth, just as you youngsters now view the technicolored remakes with special effects out the kazoo and feel it's an unique experience.

"IT" Pennywise the clown was terrifying but the film really sucked glad they're doing a"R" rated remake!

The Werewolf in "An American Werewolf in London" was scary and well done for it's time, not so stoked about this being remade!

"King Kong" was great, he was a monster with feeling

Dave
On Screen

Oh I forgot he's not from a movie, hes just the first thing that comes to mind when I hear monster. Too soon ?

Happy New Year from Philly!
All Vampires, zombies and Pinhead.

Or anything that is slightly tacky that ends up devouring you like the Stuff or the Blob.

The remake of The Blob is ill. It starts off with a cute little kitten in a field that bats playfully at some goop that then proceeds to consume said cute little kitten. It is wrong, just wrong, I tell ya.

See it here. http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...105159x3Xw2rfh

Godzilla. The first one was great. Then it generally went downhill till 1984 when the character was revamped. The stories have never been great but the models and special effects were.

Gamera. Godzilla was somewhat believable with a 350 feet atomic dragon in the way that Gamera never was. A space going turtle was somewhat ridiculous and the brat kids were annoying, and yet Gamera achieved a "ghastliness", a horror that Godzilla never managed.

Freddy. The Nightmare stories were very well done. I had a theory that he was really Dennis (the Menace) Mitchell grown up as both lived on Elm Street and wore striped jerseys.

Various 1950's monsters. They did horror well. The giant ants in THEM. The relentless blocks of The Monolith Monsters. The invisible monster from Forbidden Planet. The Blob. The Thing in the Arctic base, etc.

For some reason, whenever I hear the term "monster movie", I almost always instantly think of giant monster movies. I guess, for me, I always categorized more human-sized creatures more in the area of "horror" films. It might have had to do with the fact that growing up, I was a big fan of the Creature Feature shows, which seemed to focus more the smaller-sized terrors, & therefore instilled in me the idea that the smaller guys were "creatures" & the big guys were monsters. Now I'm in no way saying that this is the way it should be. This is just one of those weird, individualized ways that my train of thinking evolved.
Therefore, I'll start by posting a list of my giant monster flix, & then, later on, put one up for the sole purpose of represntin' the 'lil guys.

10. Them!
Ants.
Atomic radiation.
The process of mutation.
The desert.
You do the math.

9. Godzilla vs. Hedorah (aka Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster)
The Earth's populace must come to grips with it tendency of abundantly accumulating & disposing it's garbage as The King of All Monsters takes on a giant shambling mountain of red-eyed sludge that terrorizes the island of Japan by transforming itself into a flying smog-billowing force of pollution incarnate.
Kinda makes you want to start recycling, huh?

8. Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman
Now I'm not sure how technically accurate it is to categorize this as a giany monster flick,
but to be frankly honest,
this is only on this list b'cuz after watching this movie as a little kid,
I used to fantasize about having a 50 Ft. woman attack our hometown just so's I could look up her dress without getting in trouble.
And if that doesn't qualify Aot50fW under this category,
then how about the giant monster that results in my pants from having such fantasies?

7. Monsters Versus Aliens
A tribute to all those 50's black & white sci-fi horrors flicks, but now in cool 3-D-like computer graphics. And in full color.
The graphics are absolutely top-notch,but some of the sheen has been lost due to the fact that they're also something that I'm sure viewers are pretty much starting to become accustomed to by now. And teen-agers today, let alone the more targeted little kid audience, will barely, if at all, get any of the connections to Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman, Black Lagoon & the like.
Now don't get me wrong. I think that this film comes off as entertaining enough, but to some, it may feel like it came out a fews years too late.

6. King Kong(2005)
Peter Jackson, the guy who put LOTR on the big screen , once again utilizing the latest in movie-magic, to put a really big ape rampaging & terrorizing on the streets of 1930's New York.
And the big-boned simian that I'm referring to is not the one the guy in this movie who also happens to be lead singer of Tenacious D.

5. The Host
Chemicals get dumped into the Han River,
and several years later,
the result of man's disregard for the aquatic ecological balance surfaces in the form of a....a...
well, in this film they call it a host.
I say, it's more of a giant walking catfish with Olympic level gymnastic skills.
Whatever you wanna call it,
it's payback time for all the centuries that man has been hoisting waterbreathing critters outta the water since he first learned how to bait a hook.
And as far as the Host is concerned, this is case in which the law of catch & release does not apply.

4. Destroy All Monsters
For the first time ever, Godzilla, Minilla, Mothra, Rodan, Gorosaurus, Anguirus, Kumonga, Manda, Baragon, and Varan, all together in one movie, kicking all sorts of @ss with their big, floppy rubber feet (or any other appendages of like-minded floppy purposes).
And it's all because of those stupid aliens!
This is the original Monsters Versus Aliens epic, not to mention, the battle royale of all battle royales! With cheese!
So, y'know....
Run for your lives!!!!

3. The Blob
A big giant glob of space snot that only gets bigger & bigger as the movies progresses.
And no sign of a city-sized piece of tissue anywhere.
During the height of McCarthyism & the Red Scare,
comes yet another sci-fi film taking advantage of the attitude scoring across the country at this time.
A big red mass that keeps getting bigger & bigger, terrorizes a small American town, swallowing up innocent denizens of democracy.....
get the symbolism?
Or is that stretching a metaphor farther than the reach of an extended slimey flesh-distintigrating tentacle?

2. Jurassic Park
Modern science demonstrates it highest possibilities to date by genetically re-introducing the dinosaurs of the Jurassic era to our time. Then, it goes about creating an island theme park in which to inhabit these prehistoric ganstas of giant monsters, in the speculative hope that the general public will eat them up.
Is it my imagination, or is it pretty obvious what the ironic twist is that's gonna result from this grand delusioning venture?
Oh, when will those zany scienctists learn?

1. Cloverfield
For me, this movie gets an extra point just for the surprise factor of how much I ended up enjoying it. I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. I saw this flick with my brother-in-law, & remember that when the lights in the theatre came on, we both looked at each with an expression of "Whoa" on our faces.
As an adult, one of my absolute favorite things about going to the movies is when I see a film that brings back those feelings that I used to experience as a kid whenever I saw something that was too fantastic that it was beyond the realm of our realty & yet, through the power of movie magic, watch it come to life on the big screen in front of me.
And a giant alien monster rangin' thru the streets of the Big Apple is a pretty good f'rinstance.

Too many to have a favourite but...

There are loads more but I can't remember them right now

Too many to have a favourite but...

There are loads more but I can't remember them right now
Great list! forgot most of these movies! I will be on the lookout to obtain these films

Dave
On Screen

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
The Thing (1982) - my all-time favorite.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Yes, I enjoy all four Alien movies, but the first one is definitely the best.

See the trailer here: