Sin City

Tools    

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Btw, what were your other 3 modules? Mine was an auteur study on John Woo (personal choice), New Wave cinema, Early Cinema/Genre/Hollywoods dominance.
Oh, sorry. I meant AS level, I'm a year younger than you.

I just saw Sin City, and I was just in awe ... everything everyone said about this is true. Robert Rodriguez is an amazing visionary. I own my own copy of the DVD.

Unlike most others on this thread, I'm not a comic book fan, and I never saw or read it. I guess that's a testiment to the entertainment of this movie. Don't have to be a fan of the comic book to enjoy this gem.

For once, a mainstream film shot in black and white. Just hope that Ted Turner doesnt buy the rights, and decides to colorize it ...

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by cutter
I just saw Sin City, and I was just in awe ... everything everyone said about this is true. Robert Rodriguez is an amazing visionary.
You should probably give credit where credit is due. Frank Miller is the visionary here, because he created that pseudo-noir style made famous in his Sin City graphic novels. Rodriguez translated it to film to an insanely accurate degree, of course (with the help of co-director Miller, no less); but Rodriguez himself didn't envision the style.

That said, Rodriguez did an amazing job translating the Sin City style. I can't imagine it having been done any differently.

Yes, after reading credits and browsing, I realized Frank Miller should have credit too. My apologies. I might say, so far in 2005, Sin City would be my number 1 now.

Can we try with real bullets now?
Originally Posted by Sleezy
You should probably give credit where credit is due. Frank Miller is the visionary here, because he created that pseudo-noir style made famous in his Sin City graphic novels. Rodriguez translated it to film to an insanely accurate degree, of course (with the help of co-director Miller, no less); but Rodriguez himself didn't envision the style.
I absolutely agree! It's called Frank Miller's Sin City for a reason!

Got thru watching Sin City two days ago and I loved it. The different stories at different parts in time was something new since most of the films I watch isnt like that..

Althou, I really didnt like the black/white with color for eyes,lips ect ect.

Would of been cooler with full color but maybe again the black/white is what made it interesting.

I think having it in black and white gave it an edge, and made it more interesting. It made all the darker tones and shades more dramatic, and the color accented the desired effects. If it were in color, I don't think it would have had the same impression or effect on me.

Just my $0.02.

Originally Posted by cutter
I think having it in black and white gave it an edge, and made it more interesting. It made all the darker tones and shades more dramatic, and the color accented the desired effects. If it were in color, I don't think it would have had the same impression or effect on me.

Just my $0.02.
Plus, it wouldn't have been a faithful representation of Frank Miller's SIN CITY graphic novels, which are mostly black & white with a few splashes of color.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra