Mad Men

Tools    

My next foray into cable episodic television will now begin with the pilot for the AMC series Mad Men. Loved Don Draper's opening conversation with that waiter about switching to Lucky Strikes and how hard he had to work to get the guy to consider the switch. Draper is clearly a man very serious about his job. I love all the cigarette smoking. "I don't make plans and I don't make breakfast." Already LOVING Christina Hendricks as Joan Harris giving Peggy Sloan (Elisabeth Moss) the initial rundown. Wondering why it was so important for us to learn that Don has a purple heart. There seems to be a real racist and sexual undertone to the atmosphere. God, is this Pete as big a slimeball as he's appearing to be? Did he actully say he's not going to let a woman talk him like that? They're really making this period specific by letting us know we're at a time where a lot of people think the danger of cigarettes is still something people are in denial about. "You're a man...smoke your cigarette...you still have to get where you're going." John Cullum was funny as the client. "I Love this place, it's hot and loud and filled with men." Don seemed to be choking on that apology to Rachel. I guess Peggy is looking for a fast track to success and has no intention of remaining a secretary. January Jones is SO beautiful.

I think this one's going to challenge you a bit. Not at Atlanta levels, because it's never that weird, but...it does not follow normal drama conventions. Characters double back, seem to change then don't, do odd things. It's strange, in lots of ways it's more like life in that people don't always do sensible, rational, or explainable things, but it's not clear if that makes the show better (for authenticity) or worse (stories don't need to be/often shouldn't be that authentic).

I'd recommend it, regardless, but after the first season, in particular (which does actually build to some stuff), it's very moody and serpentine, apart from some big events here and there, and even those don't seem to change the characters all that much. Which is often the point.

Enjoy.

Season One, ep 2. LOVING John Slattery as Roger. "Those purses get any smaller we're gonna starve." All that smoking at the restaurant it's a miracle no one dropped ashes into their food. OMG, Right Guard Spray Deodorant...seriously? The first appearance of the late Robert Morse...he's awesome. "Why chase a girl who doesn't want to get caught?" Was Cooper aware that he had no shoes on? "Get your things that sandwich is making me sad." Wow, we're in an era where a divorcee in the neighborhood decreases the property value. What's the matter with Betty's hands? It was disgusting that Don doesn't think Betty has the right to be unhappy just because of everything he's provided for her. "You can always tell when a woman is writing the copy but sometimes she's the right man for the job." Loved Roger's reply to the question what do women want. Don seems to be embarrassed more than anything regarding Betty. On the other hand, he also seems to be rationalizing his affair because of Sally. I hope Joan is not going to be a one dimensional bitch. I think Betty knows exactly what is wrong with herself but is afraid to talk about it to anyone.

Season One, Ep 3. That opening scene was strange. Why didn't Don correct that guy on the train about his identity? Or was the guy correct and Don Draper isn't really Don Draper? If he is Don Draper. don't understand the point of that scene at all. Are all the men who work at this agency racists? Is it just me or is Pete coming off like he's hiding the fact that getting married was the biggest mistake of his life? Love the reveal that Joan carries a change of clothes and a toothbrush in her purse. "Don't read it on the train, it will attract the wrong element." How are you going to design an advertising campaign for a store you've never step foot in? Can't quite gauge what's happening between Pete and Peggy. Betty appears to be quite the bartender. Loved the change in the men at the party with the arrival of Helen the divorcee. I didn't realize when they guy hit that kid that it wasn't his kid. Even in the 60's, you don't hit someone else's kid. Cannot believe Don picked up the cake and didn't come back. Exactly how miserably unhappy are the Drapers?

My next foray into cable episodic television will now begin with the pilot for the AMC series Mad Men. Loved Don Draper's opening conversation with that waiter about switching to Lucky Strikes and how hard he had to work to get the guy to consider the switch. Draper is clearly a man very serious about his job. I love all the cigarette smoking. "I don't make plans and I don't make breakfast." Already LOVING Christina Hendricks as Joan Harris giving Peggy Sloan (Elisabeth Moss) the initial rundown. Wondering why it was so important for us to learn that Don has a purple heart. There seems to be a real racist and sexual undertone to the atmosphere. God, is this Pete as big a slimeball as he's appearing to be? Did he actully say he's not going to let a woman talk him like that? They're really making this period specific by letting us know we're at a time where a lot of people think the danger of cigarettes is still something people are in denial about. "You're a man...smoke your cigarette...you still have to get where you're going." John Cullum was funny as the client. "I Love this place, it's hot and loud and filled with men." Don seemed to be choking on that apology to Rachel. I guess Peggy is looking for a fast track to success and has no intention of remaining a secretary. January Jones is SO beautiful.
It’s a brilliant show & Jon Hamm was perfect in it. I was going to mention the beauty of January Jones, but you beat me to it.

Loads of great unforgettable characters. Enjoy!

The Adventure Starts Here!
Ahh, one of my favorites, not the least of which for all the Selectric typewriters in the offices. I even bought every season on DVD as they came out.

They really nailed the culture of the sixties, and that continues throughout the series. The costumes/clothing, the culture, the idioms, the thought processes...

One of my favorite, bust-out-laughing scenes was when the Drapers go on a picnic, the tail end of that scene as they're packing up to go back to the car. I won't say more because it'd spoil it for those who haven't watched yet. I immediately thought, "YUP, that's something that'd happen back then."

Ah, might be time for a rewatch of this one, even if it is, as Yoda says, a bit serpentine. It's thoroughly character driven, and frankly, nearly all the characters come to life in really believable ways. Enjoy!

I'm three episodes in and loving it so far.
I fell in love immediately with the show when I first saw the opening credits & heard the theme music.

Season One, Ep 4. Loved the guys sitting in the office listening to Bob Newhart. Peter seems to be trapped in his marriage already. $3500 a year...OMG! Helen the divorcee seems to have a lot of issues that will be brewing to the surface soon. Peter' father is a jerk. The Bethlehem Steel presentation was fraught with tension. The rivalry between Don and Peter seems to be shaping up as the backbone of this show. I have a feeling Helen is lying to Betty about where she's going. Glen walking in on Betty in the bathroom was beyond creepy. Did he really ask her for a lock of her hair? And she actually gave it to him? "I would have you thought you slept all day and bathed in milk." Did Peter steal that idea from Don or did Peter just come up with it first? "Remember Pete Campbell's last today? It's today." Loved that dress Betty was wearing at the psychiatrist's office. Betty's fascination with Helen and Glen is kind of creepy. Interesting to learn that Cooper has Pete's back and the juice Peter has that he might not be aware of. LOVE Robert Morse. Very interesting that Stirling gave Don credit for Peter still having his job. Love Roger's cigarette holder. "Kids today have nothing to look up to because they look up to us." Really not liking Trudy's father. Could Peter be any more miserable right now?

Season One, Ep 5. I guess Peggy is just now aware of the power she has with her telephone. I'm really not seeing what Don sees in this woman played by Rosemarie Dewitt. It's becoming clear that Peter and Trudy's marriage is not a product of a grand passion...these two people really seem to be using each other. "I guarantee that in the bottom drawer of every desk in this place is the first ten pages of a novel." This is the second character who has encountered Don and referred to him as someone other than Don Draper...coincidence? OK, Don has definitely reinvented himself for some reason and I'm dying to find out more. Jon Hamm played the hell out of that scene with his "brother" Adam. Love that Trudy has a past lover still in the office. That scene with Peggy and Joan was fabulous. Joan is the last person Peggy should have gone to. "I'm not buying your lunch because this never happened." How many secrets in his past does Don Draper have? I'm beginning to think Betty knows more about his infidelity than she lets on. That Liberty Capitol presentation is kind of an edgy thing. Looks like Don's past life is catching up with him and not going away. Joan revealing that she has never been with Don kind of surprised me, considering what we've learned about him so far. Peter is starting to come off as one of those people who never is happy no matter what wonderful thing might happen to him. Does Don think he can buy Adam out of his life? If Adam wanted money, wouldn't he have mentioned at the restaurant? Have a feeling that Don's past includes some kid of horrible crime. Good episode.

Season One, Ep 5. I guess Peggy is just now aware of the power she has with her telephone. I'm really not seeing what Don sees in this woman played by Rosemarie Dewitt. It's becoming clear that Peter and Trudy's marriage is not a product of a grand passion...these two people really seem to be using each other. "I guarantee that in the bottom drawer of every desk in this place is the first ten pages of a novel." This is the second character who has encountered Don and referred to him as someone other than Don Draper...coincidence? OK, Don has definitely reinvented himself for some reason and I'm dying to find out more. Jon Hamm played the hell out of that scene with his "brother" Adam. Love that Trudy has a past lover still in the office. That scene with Peggy and Joan was fabulous. Joan is the last person Peggy should have gone to. "I'm not buying your lunch because this never happened." How many secrets in his past does Don Draper have? I'm beginning to think Betty knows more about his infidelity than she lets on. That Liberty Capitol presentation is kind of an edgy thing. Looks like Don's past life is catching up with him and not going away. Joan revealing that she has never been with Don kind of surprised me, considering what we've learned about him so far. Peter is starting to come off as one of those people who never is happy no matter what wonderful thing might happen to him. Does Don think he can buy Adam out of his life? If Adam wanted money, wouldn't he have mentioned at the restaurant? Have a feeling that Don's past includes some kid of horrible crime. Good episode.
I hated the entire Dewitt arc. Yawn.

Her character really seems messed up and Dewitt doesn't have any chemistry with Jon Hamm. And Jon Hamm has chemistry with everybody./

As you're already discovering, it's a great show. Truly one of the best and the best thing is, without wishing to over egg the pudding, it only gets better.

Season One, Ep 6. Don already seems to be terrified of is past catching up with him. They're being very cagy regarding letting us in on it. Can't remember the last time I saw any movie or TV show reference Suzy Parker. Don and Roger really need to tiptoe with these Israelis. Is Roger's daughter crushing on Don? Roger is sleeping with Joan? "Roger, if you had your way, I'd be some paperweight with my legs in the air." Loving that Joan is not an empty-headed bimbo. Who was that woman on the cover of that magazine? She looked a like a really young Sophia Loren. Really don't get Don's wandering eye with Betty to come home to every night. Christina Hendricks was wearing that red dress. All of a sudden I wish I had seen the movie Exodus. "I don't want to be one of a hundred colors in a box." Joan's nose seems to be out of joint regarding the guys' impression of Peggy.

Season One, Ep7. I'm not happy with Don trying to pump Betty's therapist for information. Love the way Roger thinks Joan is at his beck and call. "Burning the midnight hole is not good for your skin." Betty really seems to hate Roger and tolerates him for Don. What do you say we go to a commercial break? Brought to you by more liquor." Roger is totally in love with the sound of his own voice. Did he really tell Betty that she had been making eyes at him all night? Seriously? I can't believe Don told Betty she was throwing herself at Roger. Not sure what Roger was looking for her the next morning at Don's office with a bottle of scotch. Pete acted like a jerk in that department store return scene. I cannot believe he was pointing a rifle at people in the office. Vincent Kartheiser brought just the right amount of creepy to that scene with Elisabeth Moss. Didn't really get the point of the oysters and martinis with Don and Roger. I knew Betty giving Glen that lock of hair was going to come back and bite on the ass. That was a really weird thing to do. John Slattery was hilarious in the stairwell. Now I understand the purpose of the oysters ad vodka.