Boardwalk Empire

Tools    

Season4, ep six here. I was beginning to think the show forgot all about Margaret we haven't seen her in like five or six episodes. I like that Nucky still cares about Teddy and Emily, but he has to have known that Margaret has moved on. Paul and Richard's meeting of the minds...did not see that coming. It's a little bit of a coincidence that all of a sudden Eli can't stop thinking about Willie. Nucky needs to distance himself from the McCoy character, he's nothing but trouble. This FBI agent is going to try and go from the inside now? Eli and Mickey didn't flinch though. :Fifty bucks on the one with the leg in his mouth." Has Charlie Luciano got a past that's trying to catch up with him? That rendition of "St Louis Blues" was smoking. Not really feeling Buscemi with Patricia Arquette. I'm glad to see that Nucky is feeling something regarding Eddie. Chalkie better be careful, I mean we saw this coming, but Chalkie better be careful, Dr Narcisse isn't going to like this.

Well we're up to Season 4, Ep 7. Why was it necessary for Capone to do that in broad daylight in front of hundreds of people? Loved when J Edgar told Remus to stop referring to himself in the third person. OK, I see where Capone is now...he's high as a kite. "It's a wo\man's place to tend to the home,. it's a man's place to tend to the future." I have a feeling Maude is using Willie for something, but I'm not sure what. What is this place where Margaret is working? Watching Gillian try to detox was kind of fun. Rothstein was so creepy with Margaret. Jeffrey Wright crushed that scene in the church. Shea Wigham played that scene with Willie...love the way he kept telling Nucky to butt out. Loved J Edgar taking credit for other agents' work. I swear Gillian looked a little disappointed when Roy told her he had begun divorce proceedings. I liked learning that Means has possible jail time in his future "I'm going to chalk this up to whiskey and bad timing." I guess Willie just wants to be like his Uncle Nucky, which will kill his father. Dunn must be trying score some points with Chalkie and/or Dr. Narcisse. What's with the scars on Narcisse's chest

Season 4 ep 8. How did the FBI find out about Nucky and Willie so quickly? Willie is trying very hard not to come home to his family ever again. I can't tell if Chalkie knows what Dunn did. I liked that Nucky was upset to see Mickey with Eddie's cane. Surprised and glad that Nucky was honest with Eli about Willie. Loved when Patricia Arquette showed up and all the men were ogling her like they hadn't seen a woman before. Dunn is being awfully uppity to Chalkie, the last person he needs to be disrespecting right now. FBI Jim is not playing...that's a whole lot of Chesterfields. Can't wait for Chalkie to find out what Dunn did. Mickey needs to learn how to read a room if he wants to live. Loved the lukewarm reception to Dr Narcisse's play. The meet cute between Sally and Willie was adorable. Love that Sally is not falling instantly under Nucky's spell. For a show where so much money is shown exchanging hands, you would think the props people would make more of an effort in making the money look real. Does Eli really think defying the FBI is a good idea. Dunn's trying to force out Dr Narcisse? Very dangerous. That fight scene between Chalkie and Dunn was superbly staged and photographed.

We're up to ep 9 of Season 4 now. I guess domesticity was not meant for Van Alden. Gillian is never going to be able to give herself completely to a man because she's still obsessed with Jimmy. That's why she couldn't be honest with Roy about Jimmy. Eli didn't seem to want to talk about Willie with Nucky. So this judge would actually allow Tommy to continue living in a whorehouse? These writers continue to protect Van Alden and I don't understand why. It's nice to see Rothstein sweat a little and it looks like a piece of my death wish list is about to come true. Of course Richard is saying yes, he would walk through fire for Tommy. What does Dr Narcisse have on that woman? I knew Chalkie was putting this girl at risk when he got involved with her. Chalkie should have taken out dr Narcisse right then and there. That was surreal when Van Alden was actually honest with O'Banyon. Why would Richard ask Nucky for a job? Wow he told his wife the truth too. Who is this Roy guy really? How long did Chalkie think he could hide that girl from his family? Sally's really got Nucky confused.

Season 4, Ep 10. I was surprised to see Eli being so cooperative with the FBI. Or is he doing it just to keep Willie out of jail? "I prefer to live near the swamp not in it." Can you imagine coming downstairs in the morning and finding the FBI sitting at your breakfast table? Did I miss how the FBI found out about Willie? The way Rothstein is sniffing around Margaret is really creepy. Nice to know that Chalkie has Richard's back. Dominic Lombordazzi is a welcome addition to the cast. Been a fan of his since Oz. Narcisse's growling when he missed Chalkie reminded me of Clint Eastwood's growling in Gran Torino. Meyer Lansky seems to live in pure self--preservation mode and would sell out anybody to save his own ass. Can't believe Narcisse thought Nucky would give up Chalkie. Nucky should have killed Lansky. Love the way Narcisse makes himself sound like he's being forced to sell heroin. Not happy seeing Nucky in bed with Narcisse and Masseria. That attempted hit on Al Capone was no joke. I knew Chalkie had been double-crossed. "Three thousand negros with ideas in their heads. That's threat worth worrying about." Dr Narcisse is going to kidnap Chalkie's daughter. The Thompson dynasty seems to have officially expanded.

One ep away from the season four finale. I wonder if Chalkie's family is aware that he is on the run for his life. I hope we're finally done with Means. Whoa , Oscar winner Louis Gossett as Chalkie's savior, Oscar "Explain that to a man who never forgets." Loved Richard protecting Tommy from Gillian. Gretchen Mol is working very hard to imbue some sympathy into Gillian but that ship has sailed. "Set it up now, Nuck, while there's still a hand to play." Any scenes Eli has with his kids are golden. That is Brian Tyree Henry playing Oscar's nephew Roy shot an unarmed man? The first real regret I've seen from Chalkie regarding his relationship with Nucky. I really like Eli's wife...very sensible, seems to have her head on straight. and priorities in place. And not the airhead her husband thinks she is. Gillian just might be the most selfish creature on the planet. That reveal regarding Roy was AWESOME!!!! Gillian finally went out in a blaze of glory with Emmy-worthy work from Gretchen Mol. I don't believe Daughter left Chalkie. Not exactly sure what Nucky's last line meant.

Yep, we're here...the Season Four Finale, can't believe I'm here already. Michael Kenneth Williams nailed that opening scene with Nucky. Nucky is lucky Chalkie didn't shoot him the second he walked in the room. Love the way J Edgar seems to be taking credit for the work of his agents. Well I guess it's time for Gillian to leave behind her denial regarding Jimmy's death. Gillian needs to be committed, not go to jail. My heart is really going out to Eli right now...this betrayal of his brother is eating him up inside. Loved that scene between Richard and Nucky. They're just now finding Jimmy's body. Nucky did not refer to Chalkie as a "spook"? "This is only may career, Harold...I'll relax when it's over." Richard actually in love is awesome. They didn't need to have Willie interrupt Nucky, he wouldn't have shot his brother. Why is this so personal for Knox and not for the rest of the FBI? That scene with Capone and his Uncle was so Vito and Michael Corleone. That fight scene with Knox and Eli was AMAZING! The dance between J Edgar and Dr Narcisse is stupid. Loved the way Narcisse choked on the word "sir," Oh no, not Richard, anyone but Richard. Outstanding season finale superbly directed by Tim Van Patten.

As much as I loved the character of Richard Harrow, he is one of those I said that I feel overstayed their welcome. I always liked him, but you kinda felt the writers were jumping some hoops to keep him within the story. I think a season 3 exit would've felt more organic.

On the other hand, I kinda felt the same way about Gillian cause I felt her story here was a bit peripheral, but the payoff to it was really, really good; and in a way, it also solidifies Richard's presence during the season.

Eli is probably my favorite character on the show, so yeah, this season was an absolute edge-of-seat thrill ride.

And now, let's kick off the fifth and final season! we're opening the final season with a flashback? Seriously? That suit Buscemi had on in his first scene was gorgeous. Not sure how Chalkie ended up in a chain gang. Nucky is planning to enter politics? Really? I guess Margaret's boss didn't do too well dealing with the depression. It seems a little late in the game to getting flashbacks to Nucky and Eli's childhood. That scene with Margaret and the boss was really weird. Nothing like a group of black prisoners who are sick and tired of being sick and tired. OK< I guess I misunderstood about Nucky entering politics. I would have been pleased Messeria's exit long before this. Unless that was Van Gough in that scene, I can't believe that guy cut off that guy's ear. Looks like Lucky getting rid of Messeria was the best thing he could have done for himself. Didn't really understand why we needed the flashback until the end of the show, but still think it wasn't necessary as part of the final season. Overall, a rather lackluster season opener coming off the spectacular seaon four finale.

Season five, ep 2. Glad to know that Eli is OK, but idn't really understand that dream he was having. I'm over the flashbacks to Nucky's childhood...this is the last season, it's time to move on, we should have gotten this stuff in season three. "Law's a shield sir, not a sword." I was aactually happy that Willie admitted to Nucky being his uncle. Why would Al be talking business in front of a reporter? That scene in the women's prison bathroom just seemed to be an excuse for gratuitous female nudity. Gillian and that matron reminded me of Eleanor Parker and Hope Emerson in Caged. Loving that a breakfast cereal company wants to get into bootlegging. I hope this company isn't setting Nucky up. Van Alden won't be in the running for any Father of the Year Awards. Couldn't tell if Luciano was telling the truth about the split between him and Meyer Lansky. Nice to see Paul Calderon join the cast, an actor I've always liked. As suspected, Luciano was lying to Nucky about Lansky. That hothead Benny has got to go. I don't know why Willie lied to Nucky about his name coming up during the interview. I really like the relationship developing between Nucky and his nephew. Wow, Elliott Ness has come into the story. That was weird seeing Billie referenced after all this time. What was that room where Gillian and the warden were? I didn't realize Gillian was in a mental hospital, I thought she was in jail. Once again another character eliminated that I really liked.

Season Five, Ep 3. m I hate seeing what Chalkie has been reduced to. Why does Mickey have so much trouble remembering who he's working for? What a moron. I was intrigued by the use of the word "tabloids" in the screenplay. Was that term used in the 1920's? I knew Rothstein was going to get Margaret in trouble. Chalkie needs to get away from this guy he's a psycho. Benny needs to watch his mouth with Dr. Narcisse. Mickey may have finally sealed his fate. OK, I think I'm finally seeing the purpose of these flashback scenes but I still think they could have been worked into the show before the final season. Why did Benny and Lucky shoot out that whorehouse? Knew Margaret and Nucky had unfinished business

Season Five, Ep 4. This episode was directed by Gwyneth Paltrow's little brother, Jake. That scene with Capone and Ralph reminded me of the "Am I some kind of clown to you?" scene in Goodfellas. That kid playing Young Nucky is really good, though I still think these flashback scenes are a case of too little too late. The Commodore told Young Nucky to leave, why didn't he just leave? Well maybe Van Alden will finally get what's coming to him. How unsettling was it seeing Margaret drunk? She's come a long way since season one. Michael Shannon played that scene with Capone. But I still have to wonder why this character is being protected so carefully. Are Young Nucky and Eli being held against their will without them realizing it? I'm liking this thaw between Nucky and Margaret. Capone really seems to be losing it....I'm wondering if the cocaine has something to do with it? What was Sally thinking? What kind of game is the commodore playing with young Nucky?

Season Five, Ep 5. Loved that young Buscemi look-alike in the opening scene. And was that Joyce Van Patten playing the old Lady? It's terrible that Chalkie just lost his entire family. Maybe it's just me, but a ninth child is the last thing that Eli needs right now, though I do like the fact that he's happy about becoming a father again. Was it revealed before this episode that Nucky was once a cop? Did I miss it? The tension between the Muellers and the Thompsons could be cut with a knife. I liked that they actually wrote Michael Kenneth Williams' scar into Chalkie's story. Eli has a past with Van Alden's wife? Why are we supposed to care about what's going on with Gillian in the loony bin? Love that she wants to get out but won't admit to being cured. I didn't realize Capone had a mole in his organization that he doesn't know about. Chalkie's reunion in the final scene? Really?

Season 5, Ep 6. Did Narcisse get that whorehouse for her? Chalkie has to be the father of that baby and Narcisse has to know about it. Are they ever going to get rid of Mickey Doyle? That guy playing Young Nucky is NAILING Steve Buscemi's speech patterns. I think I've figured out why we're getting the Young Nucky flashback story...pretty sure we're going to learn about how his wife died, which Nucky refused to discuss with Eli back in season 1 or two. "This is where hope comes to get f*cked in the ass." "It was occupied....it was as occupied as a room could get." Really don't get the point of Nucky getting drunk with these hookers, pretending to be someone else. Did Van Alden really think he was going to get away with that? Stephen Graham was electrifying in that scene. Not sure I understand how Eli was able to walk away from that. It was disgusting watching Ms. Maitland getting on her knees to Narcisse. I never knew "Dream a Little Dream" was written in the 30's...the first time I ever heard that song was when Cass Elliott sang it back in the 60's. If anything happens to that little girl, I'm not watching the rest of this . The actor playing Y9ung Eli bears a remarkable resemblance to Shea Wigham too. How did I know that was young Gillian? Jeffrey Wright could have melted ice with that last look he gave Chalkie. Well at least we got rid of one character I hated.

This is one of the few shows I know in which the side characters outshine the main character. Buscemi is a good actor, marvelous in some, but he does not have the qualities to be a lead in a show imo, especially when the movie is about a powerful person.

Canavale and especially Shannon were great. It is due to this show that I've become a fan of Shannon's work.

I read someone once describe season 5 as more of a coda/epilogue than a proper season, and I think that's fitting.

Season Five, Ep7, one more to go. Nucky was claiming a few episodes ago that he wanted to get out of all of this, but you sure can't tell. Willie should be grateful he has a job at all. I don't know why they think we care about Young Gillian at this point. That Benny is such a big mouth he deserves whatever happens to him. Is it safe for Eli to be meeting Willie out in the open like that? Does Willie know what Eli did for him? Willie doesn't have a clue who he's dealing with or he wouldn't be talking to them like that. Finally, a character I wanted to see dead is finally dead. Now that Nucky has given up everything to save him, Willie wants to help him now? I'm glad that this show is almost over, because I really didn't care about anything that happened during this episode. I'm ready for this show to end.

Didn't think I would ever get here, but I am now watching the series finale. That opening scene took me to James Mason's suicidal swim in 1954's A Star is Born...actually gave me chills. OK, I can't believed I just noticed this, or am I just imagining it. Is Dabney Coleman's voice being used for the voice of the Commodore in the young Nucky scenes? Why not just use Dabney Coleman? Does Al Capone actually listen to anybody? Looks like Nargaret has learned a thing or do from being Mrs. Enoch Thompson. If that was all that happened with Mabel, I found it a little anticlimactic. That stock market scene reminded me of the finale of Trading Places. Stephen Graham was just heartbreaking in that scene with his son and I'm glad to see that Al is not in as much denial as I thought. Another abused woman making excuses for a man who beats her. Love that Capone has decided to go out with a smile on his face. Wasn't expecting another Nucky/Gillian encounter. Loved Narcisse's exit from the story. I am so over her and don't care what happens to her. I don't why he would even leave her money. Gillian appears to have had some sort of shock treatment. Can't believe that kid tore up that money. OK, now I understand...very pwoerful finale. A dangling plot point left unresolved, but a very effective series finale.