Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

One of the funnier subplots of the campaign has been watching the frequency of Trump talking about polls start at "Constantly" and dwindle down to "Almost Never."

One of the funnier subplots of the campaign has been watching the frequency of Trump talking about polls start at "Constantly" and dwindle down to "Almost Never."
Im just glad hes no longer verbally invincible, it seemed he could say anything for a scary long stretch there and there be no repercussions. Now? No not so much. whew!

So Chris are you gonna support Curt Schilling in 2024?

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/c...in-2024-080816

From Trump’s controversial words, a pattern: Outrage, headlines and then denial

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...bDe?li=BBnb7Kz

'History is watching': Dan Rather rips Trump in epic Facebook rant

Dan Rather, formerly of CBS Evening News, took to Facebook in a scathing rant after Donald Trump implied that people with guns could stop Hillary Clinton as president from appointing anti-gun judges.

"When he suggested that 'The Second Amendment People' can stop Hillary Clinton he crossed a line with dangerous potential,” Rather wrote in his post Tuesday night. "By any objective analysis, this is a new low and unprecedented in the history of American presidential politics. This is no longer about policy, civility, decency or even temperament. This is a direct threat of violence against a political rival. It is not just against the norms of American politics, it raises a serious question of whether it is against the law. If any other citizen had said this about a Presidential candidate, would the Secret Service be investigating?"

The Trump campaign issued a statement saying that Trump meant people who support the Second Amendment are unified and will vote together.

“It’s called the power of unification — 2nd Amendment people have amazing spirit and are tremendously unified, which gives them great political power. And this year, they will be voting in record numbers, and it won’t be for Hillary Clinton, it will be for Donald Trump,” senior communications adviser Jason Miller said in the statement.

Rather explained that he felt no explanation could justify Trump’s comment. It was a sort of “Murrow moment,” parallel to when CBS broadcaster Edward R. Murrow called out Sen. Joe McCarthy for targeting innocent civilians under the guise that they were Communists supporting Soviet Russia.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...uh6?li=BBnb7Kz

Trump complained about some of the debates being scheduled opposite some NFL games, and said the NFL sent him a letter making the same complaint. The NFL says they did no such thing.

Say it again now, everybody: He. Makes. Sh*t. Up.

You all know how I think about Trump, but Dan Rather is an idiot. Dan Rather thinks "the 2nd Amendment people can stop Hilary" was violent? Why? Those of us who support the second amendment vote and vote often. And yeah, we are unified against Hilary. We may or may not like the Donald (that is rather divided in my experience), but to us Hilary is worse. But instead they see it as a call to violence. Seems weak to me.

But at least he shows how the Democratic Party thinks. They see those of us who support gun rights as violent and ignorant. It shows that the Democratic party does not trust us "common folk" with guns while their politicians have high dollar security details. This is a non issue made into a "controversy."

It is not hard to find a legit concern with Trump. But with the Democrats doing stupid stuff like this is it any wonder I don't vote for the Democrats? If they can't trust me with a gun, why should I trust them with the bomb and the US military?

I mostly agree with you about the Trump comment, which is one reason I didn't slam him for it in here. I don't think he was advocating violence, even jokingly. I do think this is another example of him being sloppy and careless, though, and it's pretty hard to imagine that this total lack of self-control doesn't tell us anything about what kind of President he would be.

I'm not sure, I'm inclined to think he was advocating violence either seriously or in a joking manner. It's the way the statement begins, he talks about how once the judges are picked, there is nothing you can do afterwards, but then suggests that maybe there is. If he was referring to supporters of 2A voting for him in the presidential election, then it seems an odd way to word it.

You all know how I think about Trump, but Dan Rather is an idiot. Dan Rather thinks "the 2nd Amendment people can stop Hilary" was violent? Why? Those of us who support the second amendment vote and vote often. And yeah, we are unified against Hilary. We may or may not like the Donald (that is rather divided in my experience), but to us Hilary is worse. But instead they see it as a call to violence. Seems weak to me.

But at least he shows how the Democratic Party thinks. They see those of us who support gun rights as violent and ignorant. It shows that the Democratic party does not trust us "common folk" with guns while their politicians have high dollar security details. This is a non issue made into a "controversy."

It is not hard to find a legit concern with Trump. But with the Democrats doing stupid stuff like this is it any wonder I don't vote for the Democrats? If they can't trust me with a gun, why should I trust them with the bomb and the US military?
Ok... I may be new here.... and Canadian... which admittedly leaves me a little in the dark as to the precise thinking of the 2A community on these issues; however, isn't the fact that he was painting the entire 2A community with a broad brush the entire point?

He was basically saying that anyone who loves the 2A (which I gather is more than just the NRA) is liable to take some sort of violent action to stop the appointment of Federal judges hostile to the 2A. Isn't the insult here directed towards the 2A community at large as being a bunch of hot-headed violent people who are unable to control themselves?

In my view it was a dog-whistle, designed to accommodate the precise interpretation that's we're hearing here, while inciting the more unhinged towards confrontational and violent action.

A question for my conservative friends...

Donald Trump knows that if the GOP loses both the Presidency and the Senate, than there is nothing anyone can do to stop the appointment of said Federal or SCOTUS judges... which is why a lot of people think his comment was one of incitement.

If he was such a friend to the 2A, shouldn't he be trying a little harder to hold the Senate, instead of working against the likes of sitting GOP Senators like John McCain and Kelley Ayote?

I disagree. I just went back and watched it again to be sure. He is making that comment because he is talking about guns. You can even see people in the back reacting and then laughing. If he meant by voting a lot of people, including supporters, took it the wrong way.

I don't tend to put a lot of weight into these kind of public commenta that should be closed door. Trump is just constant with this stuff though. I don't even know what to call it anymore. What's the next step after being a parody of yourself?

If they can't trust me with a gun, why should I trust them with the bomb and the US military?
Besides everything else, this is the main reason why I could never support Donald Trump as President. I could never trust him with the bomb and US military. The more Ive learned the stronger that opinion becomes. Sorry Im a broken record.

I think the Trump 2nd Amendment comment was an intentional double entendre. "Double" because it could clearly be taken two ways - which means that one way could always be denied. Now, I also don't think Trump is so ingenious as to have thought all this out beforehand as I've outlined it here, no less all the reaction to it. It was just a spontaneous double entendre. The entendre part was intentional, the saying it without thinking through the double meanings part was spontaneous.

As always, he needs to consider the things he says, the intention behind them, and the way he says them, before he says them.

Im just glad hes no longer verbally invincible, it seemed he could say anything for a scary long stretch there and there be no repercussions. Now? No not so much. whew!
Watching from the other side of the boarder, a lot of us have been appalled that many of his comments have not immediately caused people to abandon him.

Think back to some of the other things that people have come under fire for.

If someone had called for banning an entire religion from entering the country before Trump, people would have dropped that candidate after 24 hours of coverage; however, we are witnessing what John Oliver called the "bed of nails" principle at work.

If you step on one nail it hurts you. If you step on a entire bed of nails, your fine. Each blunts the impact of the other, diminishing the impact of each individual harm.

Its been interesting to see people's rate of abandonment grow, as we get closer to the election.

I suppose its worth remembering the actual percentage of the US citizenry that actually voted for both Clinton and Trump in the first place.

Ok... I may be new here.... and Canadian... which admittedly leaves me a little in the dark as to the precise thinking of the 2A community on these issues; however, isn't the fact that he was painting the entire 2A community with a broad brush the entire point?

He was basically saying that anyone who loves the 2A (which I gather is more than just the NRA) is liable to take some sort of violent action to stop the appointment of Federal judges hostile to the 2A. Isn't the insult here directed towards the 2A community at large as being a bunch of hot-headed violent people who are unable to control themselves?

In my view it was a dog-whistle, designed to accommodate the precise interpretation that's we're hearing here, while inciting the more unhinged towards confrontational and violent action.

A question for my conservative friends...

Donald Trump knows that if the GOP loses both the Presidency and the Senate, than there is nothing anyone can do to stop the appointment of said Federal or SCOTUS judges... which is why a lot of people think his comments was one of incitement.

If he was such a friend to the 2A, shouldn't he be trying a little harder to hold the Senate, instead of working against the likes of sitting GOP Senators like John McCain and Kelley Ayote?
There was an insult, and it was Dan Rather who said it towards the 2nd Amendment supporters.

As for the "incitement" deal, there is still nothing in Trump's statement's that suggest he is inciting anything. He is not telling people to do anything. Making a stupid off the cuff statement maybe (not exactly uncommon for Donald), but half the internet is thinking this is a call for violence. How the hell does one read into that? It is like suggesting that the Democrats are encouraging violence from ISIS. The statement is ridiculous!

You can find stuff Trump has said that is dumb or just flat out disagree with. That is not hard. You don't like Trump? Fine. I don't like him either. But his opponents only hurt their side and strengthen his support when they peddle stories like this.

This has been getting posted about because of this;

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonath...l_in_race.html

POLITICOHillary cites RFK assassination in explaining why she's still in race
Main Content
Hillary cites RFK assassination in explaining why she's still in race - : Hillary cites RFK assassination in explaining why she's still in race

May 23, 2008
Categories: HRC
Hillary cites RFK assassination in explaining why she's still in race

Hillary Clinton today cited the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy during the 1968 presidential campaign to explain why she was remaining in the race despite long odds.

"We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California," Clinton told the editorial board of a South Dakota newspaper. " I don't understand it," Clinton added, alluding to the calls for her to quit.

Clinton made the statement after pointing out that her husband didn't lock up the nomination until June of 1992, trying to point out that, by past history, it's not late in the campaign. (See a clip of the interview here.)

But Barack Obama received Secret Service protection one year ago this month, the earliest ever in presidential history, after reports of threats.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement: “Sen. Clinton's statement before the Argus Leader editorial board was unfortunate and has no place in this campaign."

Clinton's made the comment to the Argus Leader newspaper in Sioux Falls, S.D.

Besides everything else, this is the main reason why I could never support Donald Trump as President. I could never trust him with the bomb and US military. The more Ive learned the stronger that opinion becomes. Sorry Im a broken record.
And why I am buying extra ammo and food. Lets face it dude the next 4 years are going to be interesting no matter who gets elected.

There was an insult, and it was Dan Rather who said it towards the 2nd Amendment supporters.

As for the "incitement" deal, there is still nothing in Trump's statement's that suggest he is inciting anything. He is not telling people to do anything. Making a stupid off the cuff statement maybe (not exactly uncommon for Donald), but half the internet is thinking this is a call for violence. How the hell does one read into that? It is like suggesting that the Democrats are encouraging violence from ISIS. The statement is ridiculous!

You can find stuff Trump has said that is dumb or just flat out disagree with. That is not hard. You don't like Trump? Fine. I don't like him either. But his opponents only hurt their side and strengthen his support when they peddle stories like this.
Ok... So... Do you remember when the Gabriel Giffords situation happened, and people were going back in time and looking at images of Democratic members of congress who had bullseyes around them on GOP promotional materials... and then they were trying to link those materials to the violence.

I thought that was a silly overreach that just inflamed a tragic situation.

Lots of smart people from Joe Scarborough, to Mike Hayden (Former CIA Director) to Bill Kristol (Editor of the Weekly Standard), have all come out and said that they believed he was alluding to violence against her should she win.

These people are not Democrats, they are 2A loving life-long Republicans. How is it right to blame liberals for sharing the views of so many avowed conservatives?

Isn't it clear that most people view what he said as dangerous, even if viewed in a very favourable light.?

This as well:

Biden warns Obama: Don't take my gun

http://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-sm...-my-gun-012075

“I guarantee you, Barack Obama ain’t taking my shotguns, so don’t buy that malarkey,” Biden said angrily. “They’re going to start peddling that to you.
“I got two, if he tries to fool with my Beretta, he’s got a problem.”

This as well:

Biden warns Obama: Don't take my gun

http://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-sm...-my-gun-012075

“I guarantee you, Barack Obama ain’t taking my shotguns, so don’t buy that malarkey,” Biden said angrily. “They’re going to start peddling that to you.
“I got two, if he tries to fool with my Beretta, he’s got a problem.”
Speaking of idiots...Biden is the same guy who suggest you fire warning shots through a door with a shotgun. For your information, you do that and you hit someone on accident, prepared to be charged with a crime. Be sure of your target and what is behind it. Just saying Joe