The Joker's Morality Games

Tools    

Placing people in situations, and seeing if they turn against each other or not.
Will the people on the boats flick the switches? Will his henchmen actually shoot each other?

The Coleman Reese situation was a more severe game as it would almost certainly bring out someone who was willing to kill.
The "self-interest" thing was definitely going to happen in that situation as he'd basically told an entire city made up of a couple million people that if Reese wasn't killed, a hospital was going to be destroyed.

This is exactly why most people found that The Joker from TDK was a perfect example of an Arch-Enemy.
He didn't just play mind games with Batman like most incarnations of The Joker... TDK's Joker played mind games with the entire populous of Gotham, and at the same time actually protected Batman's identity so he could keep playing his games.

you take it away... to show them what they had
Placing people in situations, and seeing if they turn against each other or not.
the very fact he had so much success manipulating people, is depending on the fact that he relied on their will to act selfishly.

Altruism is acting because you are concerned with another’s well-being, not the case here. People behave altruistically when they see others in desperate circumstances and feel empathy and a desire to help, is also not the case here. It doesn't always come naturally, since by definition, it requires people to disregard their own concerns to help others without any expectation of reward, which is also not the case here. Self-Interested and altruism are the opposite of each others. What did you mean by these? That situation... or?

Hmm, hope this user comes back and replies to Joao's post! I did watch this. I like it. Nothing too groundbreaking, but I appreciate you taking the time to put all the choices in a row to compare and contrast.

you take it away... to show them what they had
Hmm, hope this user comes back and replies to Joao's post! I did watch this. I like it. Nothing too groundbreaking, but I appreciate you taking the time to put all the choices in a row to compare and contrast.
i would if he didn't got banned forever.

i guess he wasn't that altruistic after all.