Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Blissfully Oblivious
The Grand Budapest Hotel

To say I'm familiar with the work of Wes Anderson would be a lie. The only other film I've seen by him was The Fantastic Mr. Fox and while I recognized the unique way it was presented, this was at a time that I only looked at films as sensory entertainment. Only taking in what my eyes and ears processed and didn't put much thought about what was going on beneath it. Now I feel like I owe that Fox another viewing, as well as other Wes Anderson titles.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is an incredibly beautiful, charming, and entertaining story of friendship and times long gone. Like a third of the shots look good enough to be hung in an art exhibit. The cast is stellar in all their roles with stand outs from Adrian Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, and of course Ralph Fiennes as well as a promising beginning for Tony Revolori. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the future. The music was fun and folksy as well as the tone (I can't believe I'm using those words to describe a film that's rated R).

This was an wonderfully enjoyable film and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Highly recommended.

Hard Candy (2005) - David Slade

There was an air of predictability about it, and I didn't like those stylized camera movements...but all in all it deserves some credit for somehow managing to hold on till the end...seen some great films on more or less the same plot...

6.5 out of 10

Myrin/ Jar City (2006) - Baltasar Kormakur

Another brilliant Scandinavian thriller...I am loving these...specially smart and too some extent rough presentation...not a nerve wrecking suspense so too speak, but a very hard and real one...

8.5 out of 10

Myrin/ Jar City (2006) - Baltasar Kormakur

Another brilliant Scandinavian thriller...I am loving these...specially smart and too some extent rough presentation...not a nerve wrecking suspense so too speak, but a very hard and real one...

8.5 out of 10
The movie is Icelandic, so it's actually from the Nordic region, not Scandinavia...

Scandinavia only consists of 3 countries: Denmark, Sweden and Norway, while the Nordic region has two more added to the bunch: Finland and Iceland.

edit: I did just realize it's one-third Scandinavian, so you're not completely wrong for calling it that.

Lust for Life [1956] 3/5

Solid overall but it didn't blow me away.

On a positive note, I thought Kirk Douglas's performance as Vincent van Gogh was very moving, and Anthony Quinn as Paul Gauguin was first rate as well.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
The Grand Budapest Hotel

To say I'm familiar with the work of Wes Anderson would be a lie.
The Royal Tenenbaums is the only other one you need to watch then.

...feels like I'm the only one who despised Furious 7
Trust me, you are not alone. Franchise has good visuals but it has no substance. Besides, they are all the same thing over and over again.

Blissfully Oblivious

The Royal Tenenbaums is the only other one you need to watch then.
Thanks for the recommendation.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Spielberg directed this, WHAT? The bleakness is more to Kubrick's ways and it's clear he was trying to imitate him as a tribute and to respect the original source, he did an amazing job. I was abit dead inside by the end.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Sonatine

Starts off fairly typical, just an average gangster film. It then evolves into something much more than that, something much more profound and even existential. At a certain point I forgot that I was even watching a crime film. Should have gotten around to this one sooner. Great film.

Humm... would have been interesting to see what Pascal Laugier, director of Martyrs, would have done with the remake if he had got to do it. Apparently he wanted to go somewhere really dark and gory with it but the producers wanted PG-13 type horror remake...

Anyway, watched it for the second time after seeing the first three films years ago, I remember preferring the second film far more so will see when I sit down to watch the second again if that's still the case. It's okay but Hellraiser hasn't made its way into my favourite horror films. Sorrrrrweeeeeeeeee.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
And that 'Michael Myers becomes a sumo at the beach' music theme...

The Gift - 2015

The title of the movie should have been called The Awkwardness instead. Man the first 30 or so minutes of this movie was awkward moment after awkward moment. I hate awkward moments, I can never watch awkwardness. Ironically I am an awkward SOB. Anyways I guess you could say it was good acting because they made me believe it was awkward lol. The acting was pretty good, Hall, Edgerton and Bateman were all excellent. Hall, phew, her haircut was not flattering to her at all in this, yikes. I guess Edgerton wrote it and directed it which I give him props for. Just wasn't really my cup of tea I guess. Each scene was just a build up until the end, and they didn't really hold my attention. The ending was sorta neat but didn't really put me in shock. There was misdirections and tricks, but it was all just kind of 'meh' to me. Nothing really memorable to me nothing that wants me to jump in and watch it again. Worth a gander I suppose if your really into mystery/thriller stuff. A boring mystery/thriller.

I'd give it 2 out of 5. The acting and ideas were neat, just kind of silly and didn't really hold my attention.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

San Andreas (2015)

I love disaster movies, and I don't go into them looking for an original story or strong dialogue. This movie is nothing more than a constant barrage of action and special effects, and that's exactly what I wanted. It can be a little over the top at times compared to something like Twister or Dante's Peak, but it was only about the first 3 minutes when I was questioning it enough to let it bother me.

I thought the cast did a great job. I think The Rock is a very likable screen presence, and this is definitely his element. Paul Giamatti is slumming a bit but he lends a taste of dignity. A big key was the characters of the wife, daughter, and the 2 brothers the daughter meets up with. Those are 4 major characters who were very likable, and those actors did a nice job. I was entertained throughout.

Infernal Affairs (2002) - Andrew Lau and Alan Mak

A spy thriller in a drug racket. It brings nothing new to the table...just that not so noble feeling that you seen it all before...

5.5 out of 10

Saw 1 (2004) - James Wan

Another waste of time, though it must have to be said that at times the film opened up some possibilities, which of course, it didn't keep...

6 out of 10