The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

There has been rumours of Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin right from the start..

But honestly, I really don't care anymore.. I would respect any decision that Nolan takes about which villain to cast..
Also he has said that this will be the last Batman movie of his series...

Rule Britannia....
Exclusive: 'Batman 3' Cinematographer Hopes To Shoot 'Whole Movie In IMAX'

'I like IMAX more than I like 3-D,' says Wally Pfister, Christopher Nolan's director of photography.

Early on in the "Inception" preproduction process, director Christopher Nolan and director of photography Wally Pfister had a conversation that dragged on for weeks: After shooting a portion of "The Dark Knight" in IMAX, would they also shoot their Leonardo DiCaprio-starring thriller in the large-scale film format?
"Finally I had to tell Chris that the way he was describing the film, so much of it wanted to be with a handheld camera and kind of running around," Pfister told MTV News. "That's just not physically possible with the IMAX camera. We ruled out shooting in IMAX."
Their thinking on how to shoot "Batman 3," however, might turn out to be vastly different. "I can't say until I read the script, but it would certainly be my preferred, amazing goal to shoot the whole movie in IMAX," Pfister said.
That sentiment jibes with rumors from last summer that suggested the next "Batman" could indeed be shot all in IMAX. At this point, though, Pfister is waiting to get his hands on the script and to find out when the threequel will shift into production. When it does, he's hoping to work with IMAX cameras and hoping to avoid 3-D ones.
"I must say I'm a huge IMAX fan. I like IMAX more than I like 3-D," he explained. "Chris' films are so densely layered and have so much going on visually in every way that IMAX helps enhance that because of the scope and the scale of it — it becomes a much larger canvas to paint on. That's what we found on 'Dark Knight.'
"I'm not a big fan of 3-D," he continued. "I liken it to my View-Master I had 40 years ago. Are you really getting more out of the story with 3-D? When you separate those different planes and you're creating artificial depth, it looks phony to me."
Nolan hasn't jumped on the 3-D bandwagon either, saying in June, "I'm not a huge fan of 3-D." Still, any decisions about how to shoot "Batman 3" will ultimately involve Warner Bros. and will certainly wait until Nolan and Pfister sit down and have a discussion similar to the one they had in the run-up to "Inception."
"We usually have lunch and he asks me, 'Tell me what your thoughts are,' " Pfister said. "It's very casual. It's not very technical. And then we start to build toward, 'How are we going to shoot this? Where are we going to shoot this?' My preproduction is about four months long before principal photography begins.
"I can't imagine how we're going to step it up [after 'Inception']," he added. "But we will."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
source:http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/164...20/story.jhtml

Boy, Wally best not just be smacking his lips here. The WHOLE film on IMAX would be audiously ambitious from a technical stand point. Lots of problem solving for them to do, even though they have experience with it already. I don't see that happening though as dialogue scenes are quite difficult to shoot on IMAX beacuse of the sound the camera makes, apparently. We'll have to see. If they get HALF the film on IMAX I will be blown away. This would be reason alone to get me excited for the film.

Yeah, from what I've read about it (not a lot, admittedly), it sounds kind of untenable even for a production of average complexity, which I doubt the third Batman film will be. I think he's just expressing what he'd like to do, and using that as a way to put down 3D.

This is another example of an "article" that just comes solely out of someone saying that they'd like to do something, and not any confirmation that it has any chance of happening. Robin Williams says he'd "like" to play The Riddler? News article! Even though we have no confirmation that the character will even exist. Pfister says he "hopes" to shoot the movie in IMAX? News article!

Rule Britannia....
Batman 3 Possible Riddler Confirmation and All-IMAX Goals

Joseph Gordon-Levitt's name refuses to go away as yet another rumor has popped up associating it with Christopher Nolan's Batman 3. FirstShowing has supposedly gotten their hands on a Warner Bros. studio casting grid that lists Gordon-Levitt's name next to the Riddler as "interested." If true, this not only confirms what we've all suspected; the Riddler will be the villain in Batman 3. It also associates Gordon-Levitt's name directly to the role for the second time, the first connecting the two based on Nolan's previous relationship with Gordon-Levitt from Inception.
In other Batman 3 news, Christopher Nolan's director of photography Wally Pfister has gone on record as stating that he intends to shoot Batman 3 entirely in IMAX. Not a handful of scenes like The Dark Knight. The entire film.
"I can't say until I read the script, but it would certainly be my preferred, amazing goal to shoot the whole movie in IMAX," Pfister told MTV. The Dark Knight was a pioneer for its IMAX action scenes and should this happen, the pioneering would continue. Considering how much coin The Dark Knight has raked in there's little reason for Warner to flinch on making this potential investment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
source:http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Batman...MAX-Goals/7167

Still not buying any of this. I don't mind you posting it, so don't take this as an assault on that...it's just downright goofy how this site is taking secondhand rumors and treating it as borderline confirmation. And saying it's a "connecting" that they just did Inception together is ridiculous.

Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't. I don't know. Personally, my money's on them not using the Riddler, but if they do, I don't for a moment believe that anyone at this site (or other sources like them) knows at all.

Lol, yeah must admit, I too find these types of articles annoying, Yoda. Stating things as if they know it all. But that's the role of the media, I guess. These are basically fanboy rumours, though I would like to think that the IMAX rumours were at least somewhat true, but like you said, he is probably trying to get divert attention away from 3D, which is a damn good idea as i'm sure we agree.

I remember you saying that the Riddler character might not be the best way to go as his attributes and personality aren't too disimilar to that of Heath Ledger's Joker. Definitely agree that it would be a better idea to go with a lesser less outthere villain. I was thinking about somebody who could physically outmatch Batman, maybe Bane? Only thing with him is he does not strike me as a very interesting character and he might be a bit too fantastical for Nolan's vision. I don't think they'll use The Riddler too for reasons you mentioned. Hmm, you reckon they might be cheeky and make up their own character?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I can see them including The Riddler if they change the character up a little bit. Maybe have him be like Jigsaw, or John Doe from Se7en.

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, I feel your frustration as well Yoda. I can't believe how many posts are in this thread, considering absolutely NOBODY--probably including people who will be closely involved in the project, like Nolan's editor, DP, actors, and fellow producers--knows just about anything about the movie.

The only thing that has been confirmed beyond a doubt is that no one will reprise Heath Ledger's Oscar-winning role as the Joker. Other than that, everything else is speculation about rumors about theories.

I admit I haven't been following the pre-production of this project very closely at all, since I've been so focused on Inception lately. But is this project even underway yet? Has Nolan even drafted a story yet? I know it's silly to think he's got a screenplay in the works, but does he even have a first treatment?

I will say that Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been one of my favorite young actors for years, and I actually wanted him to work with Nolan in The Dark Knight, hoping he would portray the Joker. Well, they cast a look-alike in Ledger, and he hit it out of the park, so I got no complaints. Still, especially after his exceptional work in Inception, I think Gordon-Levitt's right up Nolan's alley and could play just about anyone for him in the third Batman installment--a villain or a new good guy.

Rule Britannia....
of course those posts are just rumors. It may be all true, and it may be all wrong. If we want official announcements, it might take a while. Meanwhile, I'm a bit curious how the story about B3 is going, whether they are lame or interesting...

By the way‚ it's easier to look at these rumors, knowing true genius Nolan will have the final word. In which taste I surely do not doubt.

I have a feeling Levitt will be cast in the movie.... So the rumour about him being cast as Riddler might turn out to be true..

Lugburz, Nolan is a tue genius.. agreed! but he wont definitely have the last word.
It's all upto the studios.

That might be overstating things. For one, it wouldn't shock me to learn that Nolan has demanded a degree of autonomy in exchange for directing the film. And even if the studio has the final say, they don't seem to have overridden his choices much before. Say what you will about film executives, but they're not generally stupid; they can see as clearly as we can that the guy makes money for them when they let him do what he wants.

Well there was an interview with Nolan about a month ago where he didn't sound too sure if he had any final decision about the third one being in 3D, genesis. He clearly doesn't want it in 3D, but the studios may be tempted to release it, which, I hate to say, would be kinda smart from a marketing POV. When it comes to entire pre, middle and post production process of the Batman films, Nolan's almost in full control, but it would seem it's half and half when it comes to marketing, though I do think Warner Bros did do a remarkable job in tastefully marketing Dark Knight, even after Ledger's death.

I think (hope) ultimately his word will stick and they will reserve the 3D for average popcorn movies like Clash Of The Titans 2 and all that. But yeah, the studios have been pretty excellent towards Nolan as has he to them. It's a terrific relationship and one I don't see breaking down anytime soon as long as Nolan keeps bringing in the benjamins.

Rule Britannia....
True, but I am only talking about the release of the film in 3D or IMAX.
That is what I'm afraid of. If it comes to the studio decision, it just might be shot in 3D.
Then, it just comes down to the media and certain stuff members pressure, in this case on our joy -Wally Pfister, who clearly said he want it to be done all in IMAX. That is why that kind of pressure is needed.

Nolan loves the IMAX format... but he decided not to shoot Inception for IMAX, which I feel is cause the movie was already heavy on budget.

So I wouldn't mind if the Batman movie is shot for IMAX... I believe Dark Knight did quite well on IMAX.

I don't think that the film's budget was the factor. I think Nolan had even more money on to use with this than he did for Dark Knight, so I definitely think he could have afforded a few scenes shot on the format. From what he has said, the only reason he didn't shoot on IMAX is because he didn't want the film to be 'bound by the scale of the IMAX cameras'. I used to misinterpret this as him saying he thought WE would be bound by the scale of the camera, but meant that he wanted as much practical freedom as possible with the cameras. It's extremely difficult to do handheld on IMAX cameras and Nolan loves to use handheld quite a bit.

Semper Fooey
Here is another villain they could use in the third one, Simple Siimon.

Here is another villain they could use in the third one, Simple Siimon.
it would have to be gary busey to play him.