Tools    

I'm pretty sure he has impacted ribs.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mofie.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	26557  

Id Google what to do in this situation. It seems to be moving and wanting food, thats a great sign.

Id Google what to do in this situation. It seems to be moving and wanting food, thats a great sign.
He seems like he would rather sleep, I'm not even sure if he'll eat that. I chopped up some raw sunflower seeds I had in a feeder, but it's not commercial bird seed.

Well, I Googled. Looks like I'm breaking the law.

He may eat worms. Got a bait shop near you?
I'm not buying bait. There is a wild bird supply store some distance away from me though, I may ask there.

He looks much better in the second picture, though maybe that's just because he's right side up.
The first picture was right after I put him down for the first time. He's actually got quite a bit of verve, but he's not very good at staying right-side up.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
What do you plan to do with him? Would a vet see a wild bird?
I seriously doubt it.

Interesting trivia, I only found him because I was watching a movie. I was watching Ip Man on the train and I missed my stop. As I was walking back I noticed him on his back on the side of the walk.

Not sure what species that is but appears to me those are downy feathers on and around the head.
He's probably still too young to feed himself without help.

If this is the case, you'll need live insects and worms.

Best off finding out what it is first.

How exactly are you breaking the law by the way? You never explained that. Is it illegal to take wild birds indoors or something? Were you supposed to call animal control instead?

Last week I discovered a dead bird on our lawn, but before my room mates and I could come to a conclusion about what to do with it (we didn't want to touch it due to diseases, and we didn't know if we should just call the landlord or look up the number to the municipal animal control centre or something) it disappeared. It's likely that a neighbourhood cat or dog took it.

For the next day or two we heard a lot of distressed baby bird sounds around the house. Hopefully your little guy is able to make a full recovery.

Last week I discovered a dead bird on our lawn, but before my room mates and I could come to a conclusion about what to do with it (we didn't want to touch it due to diseases, and we didn't know if we should just call the landlord or look up the number to the municipal animal control centre or something) it disappeared. It's likely that a neighbourhood cat or dog took it.

For the next day or two we heard a lot of distressed baby bird sounds around the house.
Oh my gosh thats terrible! The bird might have crawled somewhere and was crying for help.

Omni it might have fallen out of its nest, it looks like a wren. Youre gonna have to go against your humane nature and get it some worms, insects, and such. That is what they eat, what their mothers feed them.

The other day my dog Ike was barking at something at the side of the yard. I couldn't see what it was, but then I saw a bird sort of half-fly, half-run into the grass. Ike was naturally excited, but didn't attack it; he just danced around it, barked at it, etc. It clearly couldn't fly.

I went inside for awhile and came back out an hour later to see if it'd recovered: couldn't find it. Went around with a flashlight, didn't see it. Was relieved: must've flown away. Then I turn around to head back to the house and, like a horror movie, it's standing there in front of the door looking at me. Didn't run when I got close, just sitting looking very pensive.

Went back inside for a bit, came back out...and was actually gone this time.

From what I've read, it's quite common for birds to smack into something and get a concussion, and then just shake it off after awhile. Not that that necessarily applies or helps here.

How exactly are you breaking the law by the way? You never explained that. Is it illegal to take wild birds indoors or something? Were you supposed to call animal control instead?
Supposedly "federal, state and provincial legislation makes it illegal for unlicensed individuals to care for virtually any native bird species", which is one of many dumb laws I'm content to break.

I picked up a bat this week too. They can't easily get off the ground on their own and it would've been run over where it was.

For the next day or two we heard a lot of distressed baby bird sounds around the house. Hopefully your little guy is able to make a full recovery.
I'm not entirely convinced that's possible, he's very lop-sided. The best I can hope for is making the most of what life he may have left.

He's been trying to climb out of the box the last few minutes and when he topples over onto his back he can't get up without help.

Oh my gosh thats terrible! The bird might have crawled somewhere and was crying for help.
At a lakehouse I used to visit it was common for frogs to fall down into the basement window wells and die down there. I've even found a turtle in one of them once.

The bird might have crawled somewhere and was crying for help.
No, it was definitely dead. It was on it's back with it's legs straight up in the air with some flies picking at it. Maybe some maggots or worms? I sort of blocked the image out of my mind. I thought it might just be a carcass at first sight, but the bird was actually intact.

I have no idea how long it was there before I spotted it, because it was along the side of our house not visible from the street on a narrow yard we don't ever walk on. I only saw it because I had to go into the currently uninhabited apartment in the basement to empty a dehumidifier. The landlord wanted it running because there was a lot of water damage in that room (the bottom of our water boiler completely gave out last month and spilled a lot of water). I happened to look out the half curtained window there, and that's where I saw the bird.

It was there at least an hour or so after I spotted it. It wasn't a baby, since it was fairly large. It was probably the mother to the ones we heard crying later, which was very saddening.