Ben Affleck in talks to direct Justice League.

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
You probably read the post right above yours, but continued to post anyways. I'll clarify.

Gone Baby Gone was his directorial debut. The likelihood of a studio providing an actor with his directorial debut AND an artistic vehicle for his acting in the same project is slim to none (especially when it's your "first" feature and especially when the source material is so important to so many people). When you look at his recent projects as well as reports from within the industry, Gone Baby Gone becomes an increasingly irrelevant piece of evidence.
like Mel Gibson or Kevin Costner you mean.

lulz.

go ahead skippy neg me for this dose of reality as well.

You probably read the post right above yours, but continued to post anyways. I'll clarify.

Gone Baby Gone was his directorial debut. The likelihood of a studio providing an actor with his directorial debut AND an artistic vehicle for his acting in the same project is slim to none (especially when it's your "first" feature and especially when the source material is so important to so many people). When you look at his recent projects as well as reports from within the industry, Gone Baby Gone becomes an increasingly irrelevant piece of evidence.
Are you serious?

He is an academy award winner and has been in a number of box office hits and critical hits. He didn't star in Gone Baby Gone because he wanted his brother to star in it, not him. He can do just about whatever he wants to. He has earned that right.

The hate with Affleck is that he's so far up his own backside, he looks like a doughnut.

He is after all, a man so attractive that he can 'turn a gay woman straight again'.

Ever heard him do commentary on any of his movies on DVD? He talks about them as if they're below him. Absolutely hammers the very thing that made him wrongfully rich.
He not much nicer when talking about his co-stars either.
Nothing to do well his skills as an actor or director. James Cameron in the biggest @$$hole out there. But he still makes great movies.

Well for an official Justice League film to happen, they would need to do other DC films in a phase like the Avengers

It has to be better than QOS

like Mel Gibson or Kevin Costner you mean.

lulz.

go ahead skippy neg me for this dose of reality as well.

Citing Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner as examples doesn't support your argument as much as you think it does.

So okay, I will. "lulz"

Originally Posted by filmmaker1473
Are you serious?

He is an academy award winner and has been in a number of box office hits and critical hits. He didn't star in Gone Baby Gone because he wanted his brother to star in it, not him. He can do just about whatever he wants to. He has earned that right.
Yes, I'm serious. I think you either misunderstood my point or lack sufficient knowledge about the business side of the industry.

Originally Posted by bouncingbrick
Except when you're an Oscar winner...

Oh, also, except when you've made a crap ton of money over the course of your career leading to that directorial debut...

Nah, sorry, not buying this.
You're not "buying" it because, frankly, you're in the same boat as Filmmaker.

I suggest you folks stop engaging in arguments where you focus directly on implicit statements while wholly ignoring what is actually said. None of you have shown that this is false:
Originally Posted by me

You then go on to cite actors like Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner. These are two examples that you've drawn. Two. You can list what you believe to be "many" more, but the simple truth is that studios need to see more from an individual than star power before they trust them with a film of their own. If every actor who earned a lot of money got a chance to direct, I believe you'd see my point.

But then again, maybe you wouldn't, because you may not understand exactly how flimsy the term "director" is. Directors can have next to no say in what happens with their films (yeah, even the good ones) because so little - if any - of the money on the line even belongs to them in the first place. Viewers frequently refer to their favorite parts of a given film and assume that most or all of that moment can be attributed to the director. Most of the time, directors don't even really shoot their own films, let alone storyboard it. Furthermore, they almost never edit themselves. Like I said, I think you guys have a lot of misconceptions about the industry, and you may not like hearing that from me because I'm new, but it's true.

What I said was that Gone Baby Gone was an extremely rare opportunity. You questioned and belittled that statement, then cited Mel Gibson and Kevin ****ing Costner as support. The fact that you had to cite these two men - some of the most bankable entities in the entire history of the industry - shows no real argumentative direction. Are you trying to say I'm wrong? That it's NOT uncommon for actors to be granted directorship in general, let alone under the circumstances Gibson, Costner, and Affleck were granted the opportunity? Yeah... alright.

When Disney hands French Stewart the reigns to $40M+ worth of intellectual property, come back and say something.

So they are gonna make a JL movie before they establish the characters?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
We'll see, I guess, Ben Affleck isn't a bad director by any means, but I don't know how eager he'll truly be to direct a superhero movie after how bad he got burned with Daredevil.

We'll see, I guess, Ben Affleck isn't a bad director by any means, but I don't know how eager he'll truly be to direct a superhero movie after how bad he got burned with Daredevil.
Jon Favreau didnt exactly get rave reviews for his role in DD either.

just sayen.

@Proximity

I guess there's no such person as Drew Barrymore either? Or what about Edward Norton? Or what about Edward Burns?

Face it, we've refuted your idea that Hollywood doesn't trust actor/directors to star in their directorial debut. Once you've established yourself in the industry you don't need to prove yourself to do something different. Period. We've seen it over and over. If Affleck wanted to be in Gone Baby Gone he would have been in it.

Proximity
When your an A list star that is bankable at the box office and your a house hold name (who hasn't heard of Ben Affleck that is able to talk?). You can do whatever you want. We have seen George Clooney go into directing with no issues. Brick mentioned Drew Barrymore and Edward Norton who have both directed too. Affleck can choose whatever role he wants to play in his movies. Period. And I am sure the studio rather him star if he has the chance.

While I don't think he is the best choice I think he would do a good job directing the Justice League. These type of movies seem to be his forte.

News is that Affleck is out and the rumours are that the Wachowskis are interested in taking on the movie now...
Wonder Womans role just expanded.