Favorite Director?

Tools    

Dennis Hopper.

Easy Rider is awesome

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
I don't really have a favorite director at the moment. But I do love the following (and not in any order):

*Steven Spielberg (favorite film: Jaws)
*George A. Romero (favorite film: Night of the Living Dead(1968)
*John Carpenter (favorite film: Big Trouble in Little China)
*Joe Dante (favorite film: Gremlins)
*Alfred Hitchcock (favorite film: The Trouble With Harry)
*Sergio Leone (favorite film: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)
*Mel Brooks (favorite film: Spaceballs)
*Clint Eastwood (favorite film: Unforgiven)
*Jacques Tourneur (favorite film: The Night of the Demon)
*Quentin Tarentino (favorite film: Reservoir Dogs)
*Martin Scorsese (favorite film: Gangs of New York)

By the way, what ever happened to that reality show where Spielberg picks the best director?

I actually hope they never make it...no more talent consumed by reality tv!

10 pages, 182 posts and not one Gus Van Sant mention? That's a little disappointing!

My Own Private Idaho (1991) was definitely his best work and one of the greatest films ever imo. Brilliantly acted and directed, with fine use of colour, recurring motifs and bold credits. Idaho possesses a rare, dream like quality.

Van Sant is a director with the capability of crafting both deeply unconventional independent films and mainstream crowd-pleasers.

I'm also a huge fan of Rob Reiner, Peter Weir, Sidney Lumet and Francis Ford Coppola.
he looks into his dying eyes and hears his final sounds .. "I'm gonna die, dude."
How could this happen to me? I'm the model of clean living. Dead at twenty-three.

For me, it's a three-way tie between Stanley Kubrick, M. Night Shyamalan, David Lynch.

Kubrick is the absolute best, though, in my opinion. The other two are simply favorites.

Hayao Miyazaki used to be a favorite - and I still do believe he has one of the most creative minds out there today. But even though I have seen a few of his films in the past, I've only seen two of them more than once or recently: Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. And while Princess Mononoke is a great film, it didn't impact me quite as much as Spirited Away did. I still love the guy, though.

Stanley Kubrick with out a doubt!!!!!!!!!Director that is alive Clint Eastwood.Grand Turino looks really good!

Royale With Cheese
The Director which is usually on the top of the list is steven spielberg, which dont get me wrong is a film genius but my 5 personal favourites are:

MARTIN SCORSESE (GOODFELLAS)

QUENTIN TARANTINO (PULP FICTION)

GUY RITCHIE (LOCK, STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELLS)

DAVID FINCHER (FIGHT CLUB)

RIDLEY SCOTT (ALIEN)

My favorite director is probably James Cameron. Noteable favorites by him include:

-The Abyss
-The Terminator
-Terminator 2: Judgment Day
-Dark Angel (television series)

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

TSAI MING-LIANG because he captures my loneliness, my absurdity, our universal yearning for one another, and the gentle bouts of quietus in my day to day existence. He's also the one, truly non-pretentious figure of Taiwanese New Wave.

i'll check out anything at all by peter greenaway, tsui hark, nagisa oshima, brian de palma, shohei imamura, werner herzog, robert altman, buster keaton, powell & presburger, and tod browning. not that they're all equally consistent but each of those directors has at least 2 movies that i enjoy enough that i'll give anything else they make/made a chance.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
For me, it is a tossup between Eastwood and Hitchcock. Those are my 1-2 punch right now. I'd love to see more from Kazan as I loved On the Waterfront.

I can't think of a favourite living one, actually, but for dead ones, I'd go for Bily Wilder, Elia Kazan, and Micheal Powell.

This is my first post in this forum so i try set up my tastes for movies. I kind of dislike the idea of making a top 10 or top 50 movie lists because i cant compare different genres (although everyone does that). besides there are so many movies which does not stand up as a whole but some parts of it just brilliant. So instead i wanna talk about my favorite directors and their best work in my eyes.

Akira Kurosawa
(Seven Samurai 1954)
Andrei Tarkovsky(Solaris 1972, Stalker 1979)
Werner Herzog (
Aguirre, the Wrath of God 1972)
Sergei Eisenstein(
The Battleship Potemkin 1925)
Charles Chaplin (City Lights 1931, Modern Times 1936)
Kim ki duk(3 Iron 2004)
Wong ker wai(In the Mood of love)
Bong jon woo(Barking dog never bites, memories of murder)
Satyajit ray(Apu trilogy, Aronner Din Ratri, Mohanogor)
david cronenburg (A history of violence , crash)
Bernardo Bertolucci(
Last tango in Paris, The last Emperor)
Ridley Scott(
The Blade Runner)
Luis Buñuel(
The Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz,Robinson Crusoe)
Alfred Hitchcock(
vertigo, north by northwest, rear window, psycho, dial m for murder)
Stanley Kubrick(
Paths of Glory, Spartacus, Lolita, Dr strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full metal jacket)
G.W.Grifiths(
A birth Of a Nation
)
Orson Welles(Citizen Kane)
Coen brothers(
blood simple, No country For Old man)
Francis Ford Coppola(the godfather, the godfather 2, Apocalypse Now, patton)
oliver stone(platoon, nixon, jfk, born on the fourth of july)
Martin C. Scorsese(goodfellas, taxi driver, king of comedy, departed, last temptation of Christ, aviator, raging bull, shutter island )
Ron howard(a beautiful mind, apollo 13)

PTA- Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will be Blood
Mike Nichols- The Graduate
These guys are my favorite directors i like many other directors but the others are not woth mentioning because for me these two shaped the way I view movies. I dont think i could appreciate all of the others movies I like without these four movies.

Freeburn. Very good selections. I love most of those.

I have forgotten about Ingmer bergman (through a glass darkly, winter light, the silence)