The Denim Record

→ in
Tools    

currently editing a post...

Knives Out (2019)

What a slippery slope we weave, when we tangle... Wait what? This is kinda how I felt watching this. It takes a different approach and shows the crime in detail from the early parts. Then after that, it meanders and finally rallies to a frenzied end. It was not the intriguing, exciting whodunnit that the trailer made it out to be.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Uncut Gems (2019)

The story goes that Danny calls Sandman and exclaims that he was gripping the seat in front of him the entire time. It was that intense.

It made my back hurt watching it. I may not be able to say that I really enjoyed it, but I like the Safdie Brothers' style. Every other shot seemed to be behind glass or through a narrow passage. The effect creates a sense of claustrophobia and anxiety, unlike anything I recall ever seeing before.

Little Women (2019)

This was an enjoyable film on all accounts. Saoirse Ronan seems to act so natural and effortless. Florence Pugh was captivating as well. All around a joy to behold.

Little Women (2019)

This was an enjoyable film on all accounts. Saoirse Ronan seems to act so natural and effortless. Florence Pugh was captivating as well. All around a joy to behold.
Glad to here you enjoyed it! I'll probably watch that as I've seen all the other versions of Little Women and liked them all.

1917 (2019)

All of the superlatives about this movie are true. The visuals and the performances are top notch, yet something didn't click with me. As neat as the "one-shot" approach is, maybe it doesn't quite work. In order to progress the story (and distance) it seemed like some unnecessary things were added in.

The Gentlemen (2020)

If you like this type of movie, you're not gonna be upset. Probably not gonna be impressed either. What used to be snappy and clever movies with memorable characters, seems watered down and a bit stale. I don't know who this speaks more about, McConaughey or Ritchie. I think I've already forgotten the majority of it.

Good Time (2017)

I'm a big fan of the Safdie Bros. visual style. Frenetic, real, grimy.
I can't say I'm as big a fan of the anxiety inducement they offer alongside it.