How good is Casablanca?

Tools    

Casablanca is the consummate Hollywood film. It is superbly directed, acted, and filmed. Bogart is amazing, the characters are deep and engaging.

This is easily one of the greatest films of all time. The story is timeless and meaningful, full of heart and should endure for another fifty years with no problems. A true masterpiece and the benchmark by which all other films should be measured. If you haven't seen it, you are at a profound loss. If you have then you know the greatness of this film.

"To" old for what? Too B good? 2 old 4 u to understand? "To" old 2 know what an "'" is? Two old to teach u anything. 1337? wtf, wtg, ytmnd, yup, u r. ? Too old indeed.

Semper Fooey
I read a while back some Hollywood type as an experiment sent the Casablanca screenplay to various production companies under a different title and only one of the readers recognized it and the rest turned it down for reasons like too wordy, dated, etc.

It's just classic. Bogart & Bergman are amazing in it. It's one of the greatest love stories ever. God, if you have a chance to see it in a theatre, take it! You won't regret it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Watched it for the first time and fell asleep. Not because I didn't like it, but because I was up for 28 hours prior.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
I almost want to know why you were awake for 28 hours then decided to try watching Casablanca.

I was admittedly not crazy about Casablanca.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
First off, he was awake because he's a filmmaker and somebody put it on to compare to something or other (or for any other good reason).

Secondly, what does "I was admittedly not crazy about Casablanca mean"? You watched it once? It was cheesy? Try to tell us what you really mean besides West Side Story is ten million times better than Cheasa Enchiblanca. Pshaw...

I have discovered the cure to my CDD (Casablanca Dislike Disorder). Commentary by Roger Ebert!!

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010

Well, it's all a matter of taste, but there are definitely worse films you could have chosen than Notorious. Great movie. Check out Rebecca sometime if you haven't already done so. It's also outstanding.
I love Rebecca. I have a thing for Mrs. Danvers. Often times Rebecca and North by Northwest go back and forth as my favorite Alfred Hitchcock film, depending on what kind of mood I'm in.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Firstly, I want to join in the Rebecca love. Danvers is genuinely chilling.

Casablanca, to me, is a film made up of some very good- nay, iconic moments- with some great lines. But as a whole, I'm not so keen on it. It was written in a very bitty way and that does show.

I am hesitant to describe any film as flawless but if I must do...I vote Brief Encounter. They can't make them like that any more.

I am having a nervous breakdance
It's very good. It's a movie's movie. It's got two of film history's biggest icons in it and a handful of fantastic supporting characters to back them up. It's got a tune everybody remembers, it's melodramatic without being cheesy, it's got one liners, great dialogue and a hell of an ending (Emir Kusturica agrees with me, I'm sure). And it actually succeeds in being some kind of multinationalist patriotic beacon (am I the only one straightening up during La Marseillaise?).

It's one of the best movies ever made...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Like many of you, I suspect, I love spending time thinking, and rethinking, my Top XX Movies of 2003, or Top YY Science Fiction Movies, or Top ZZ Starring Ernest Borgnine (just kidding; really).

But when it comes to my Top Whatever Movies of *All Time* my hardest decision is what comes in at No. 2. Casablance is, hands down, my favorite of all time. A classic story of redemption and sacrifice. Terrific acting. Superb writing. Sure, there's a tinge of Hollywood melodrama. But beautifully realized.
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

~Loves a good classic movie~
Anyway, i have it on DVD now so in turn it will get watched after the numerous other classics i have piled up.

Take Cassablanca and put it on top of the pile. You won't regret it. It's a great move that is timeless.