What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Blood Diamond 7/10.
Must applaud the acting performance from all starring. Dragged on slightly but overall good movie.

night at the museum...

i haven't been to the movies in awhile

but i want to see pursuit of happyness

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Has Children of Men just come out in US?
Yes.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

• Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón)

Great movie, and easily the best Science Fiction film of the new century. It's at times exhilarating with some tense action but always thoughtful and smart and even poetic. It's kind of a mix of The Handmaid's Tale and 12 Monkeys, but really it's its own thing. Clive Owen is marvelous as is the rest of the cast top to bottom, especially Peter Mullan, Danny Huston in his one scene, and absolutely every second Michael Caine in on screen - giving us a glimpse of what John Lennon might have looked like had he lived to be sixty-five. Can't wait to see it again. It even made me dig out my old King Crimson album on vinyl and give it a spin.

GRADE: A
Holds, just saw this one last night and I'm curious what you thought about the ending. I loved the movie, but the ending seemed a bit abrupt.

By the way, guys, is Children of Men a 2006 release or 2007? Would it qualify for any Oscars.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny. it was freakin awesome.

That was Alpha Dog, last saturday. I was greatly impressed and subdued after this film and felt pity both for victim and kidnappers. For the first 30 minutes it was disgusting to watch these guys but by the end...
Actually, here I saw Timberlake, at last. Earlier he had always been to me a boy friend of Diaz, but he proved to be a good actor. But he was not the one who gave great performance. Emile Hirsch and Shawn Hatosy left unforgetable impression as well.
I enjoyed it!

Night at the Museum was kinda funny in parts but the storyline was a little lame. I see a sequel coming with a rearranging of the plots and historical characters.

For children, I thought this movie was wonderfully sequenced and shot.

8.5/10

My Yahoo! Movies page.

My Yahoo! Launch radio station.

Movie Forums Extra
de ja vu, i believe

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Children of Men -- incredible movie. Go see it now

Primevil-- sooo good, but kinda over-rated in my city

-The Breakfast Club

thats a good movie man thnx

Originally Posted by MovieActivist
Primevil-- sooo good.....

And you call yourself movie"activist"? That picture was a worthless piece of sh*t. It had no reason to be written, produced or even shown in public.

fry
Fry The Movie Freak
Children of Men

Good movie, not great. Basic message is to cherish children, they can change the world.

Clive Owen does a good job, movie was very REAL and graphic. I would recommend, but would not buy it on DVD

Letters from Iwo Jima (Clint Eastwood)

Eastwood's companion piece to Flags of Our Fathers that recreates the WWII battle from the Japanese perspective, it is moving, thoughtful, frightening and poetic - just about everything the other movie wasn't. A Japanese cast blissfully speaking Japanese is led by international star Ken Watanabe as General Tadamichi Kuribayashi who in the summer of 1945 was given the unenviable task of defending the small island of Iwo Jima about 500 miles south of Tokyo. Unenviable because as the General learned after he had arrived, Japan had not only been misleading its people on how well they were doing in the Pacific Theater but had even misled the command. The air and naval support plus thousands more soldiers and tanks General Kuribayashi was expecting were not to be had. The Imperial Naval fleet was in disarray by mid-'45 and the General realized he and his 22,000 men were left on a futile suicide mission where they must hold the island for as long as possible against the overwhelming might of the American forces closing in. Victory was impossible. The best they could hope for was to drag the battle out for weeks rather than days, until virtually every Japanese soldier was dead.

Watanabe is perfect in the role, and Kuribayashi is presented as a thoughtful, energetic and slightly unconventional officer who has a deeper code of honor than many of his other officers initially assess. While there is some discontent among those officers, to the regular soldiers he is the most admirable commander they could hope for. The soldier we spend the most time with is a young man named Saigo, played very well by former Japanese pop star Kazunari Ninomiya. He is a humble baker who has been drafted into service, and while he certainly loves his country he has no blind knee-jerk patriotism and loves his wife and infant son much more than the black volcanic sand he is defending on Iwo Jima. Through a handful of flashbacks we see Saigo, General Kuribayashi and a couple of the others in their lives before the War, and through some of their letters we learn a bit more. Once the American invasion begins, the true horror and honor of war is displayed on screen.

Knowing he had no air or naval support, Kuribayashi didn't plan to hold the beaches and airfield as he would have in a conventional attack but readied for the battle by digging into the rocks and volcano on the island, creating an massive network of caves to hide his men and artillery. While unconventional, it was a brilliant plan given what he had to work with. Brilliant up to a point, as he knew he was only prolonging the inevitable American victory. Most of the men too realize that they will not leave the island alive much less victorious, but they fight on anyway. As they run out of ammo and hope, some stationed in Mt. Suribach commit suicide (by grenade, which is a messy way to go and part of the horror Adam Beach's Ira Hayes witnessed in Flags that haunted him). The rest of the soldiers tried to make their way across the island to the command post buried underground. It is a Hellish journey, and the few that make it all the way arrive to no food and water and just as much desperation as they had fled.

The battle scenes are graphic and kinetic, and the final dignified assault that Kuribayashi leads his men on is poetic, but like any great war movie it is great because it shows the humanity of the men fighting and is essentially anti-war in its message. Not that there isn't honor to be found in the sacrifice, but that there is more honor to be found in life. Clint's decision to make this in addition to Flags of Our Fathers is a cinematic gift.

GRADE: A