Finding the Perfect Seat

Tools    

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
Gee, rufnek..sorry that the Wizard of Oz was spoiled by your horrible seat and the nasty positions that you were forced to sit/lie down in which gave you a headache afterwards. Nowadays, they've eliminated the "rumble" seats from theatres, for a reason, I guess. There are advantages and disadvantages to the movie theatres that exist today, but I know that I can still enjoy going to the movies over sitting and always watching them at home, which is why I don't have a DVD player. Btw, West Side Story is going to be on TCM (Turner Classic Movies) Channel, on TV, on Sunday, July 20th. I plan on watching it, since it's my alltime favorite film, so, whether WSS comes to a repertory movie house on the great big, wide movie theatre screen with the lights down low and lots of other people to watch it along with one, or on TV, I watch it.
Long ago in my teens when I was the indoor ticket-taker/usher/janitor at a one-screen theater that small towns had back then, I used to watch theater-goers as they went up the entry aisle to the back wall of the screening room at which point they had to turn either right or left to go to their seats. I observed at that time that most people turn to the right. Because most people are right-handed. That's especially true if they have to open a door to enter the theater. Turn right and your right hand is already reaching for the door handle. Turn left and you have to extend your right hand so that opening the door is more awkward.

Therefore, there are usually fewer people on the left side of the theater which provides a better choice of seats. Because theaters are so small now, I like seats at the end of the aisle so I can stretch out my legs. Back before the multi-screen theaters, the the floor of the screening room sloped downward from the back to the front. Little kids generally sat down front away from their parents and tended to talk and throw popcorn boxes. Teens sat in the middle, and adults sat toward the back. Today it's all changed around--you usually enter the screening room of a multi-plex down near the front and have to climb stairs to get further from the screen. Now the older you are and the more your knees ache, the closer you sit to the front. If I can get a seat on that cross-walk row where there are no seats immediately in front of you so you don't have to crawl over people to reach your seat or have them crawl over you, then I'm a happy viewer.

Truth to tell, though, my very favorite movie "seat" ever was 50 years ago in the backseat of my old Ford on the last row of a drive-in where no one was likely to walk up unexpectedly on you and your girlfriend. Now my favorite movie seat is a lounger in the living room or the bed in the bedroom where you can stretch out, pause the film if you have to go to the kitchen or toilet, and doze off if the movie doesn't hold your intrest.

Most uncomfortable movie "seat" I ever experienced was the first time I saw The Wizard of Oz at a kiddie matinee. The theater manager way over-sold tickets to that showing, so that it was litterally standing room only when I got into the small-town theater. So they put me, my little brother, and at least 50 other kids upon the small stage at the foot of the screen that theaters used to have. We were so close that we practically had to lay on our backs to see the screen at all, and even then you see the whole screen at once. Had to view the movie a section at a time--look over here to see Dorothy, look over there to see who she was talking to. The loud sound just rumbled out of the speakers, and between that and the eye-strain, I had the damnest headache afterward. Never have cared too much about Oz since then.
Sorry about the movie too.
The movie will be over by the time you find your seat!!

ACK ACK ACK ACK!

Martian leader

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

Depends on all sorts of factors, like... How big is the theatre? How big is the screen? What's the sound system like? Is there stadium seating? Am I by myself, with one other person or in a group of three or more? How crowded is it likely to be for this show? Does it have aisles down the sides or in the center? Am I eating popcorn that day or going sans food & drink? Is this my first time seeing the particular movie or is this a repeat viewing? Are there subtitles? Are special glasses required? Am I flying First Class or Coach? Am I crammed in a trunk to avoid the per-person fee?
I gotta ask, Pike--what's the difference in an eating-popcorn seat vs. a not-eating-popcorn seat?

I gotta ask, Pike--what's the difference in an eating-popcorn seat vs. a not-eating-popcorn seat?

If I'm eating popcorn I always get the jumbo huge-ass bucket with free refills, so in that case I'm sure to be on the aisle for easier access to and from the concession stand. I take the aisle more often than not anyway because I'm 6'3" and can use the extra leg room, but I'm always there when I'm eating popcorn. Well, not always. If it's a near-empty theater and I'm relatively sure I'm going to have a whole row to myself, then I'll center even with popcorn. But usually.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Plays:
I like to be close enough to touch the actors if I want. That costs money though, so, I settle for a few rows back. It also depends on if I'm late buying the ticket (which means back raised section/balcony in the middle of other people on every side (ick). If I get the ticket early enough typically very close to the front, center section, left aisle seats (for quick exits!)

Movies:
I rarely go to the movie theatre, and when I do, I prefer going alone. I'm a far left-section girl, smack in the middle of the front-to-back, directly seated on the aisle (again for quick exits).

I seriously dont understand how people sit in the middle if they dont have to. Step over enough people getting in and out, and you never want to do it again. Also, who wants to "line up" going out the door? No way. I need quick, easy ingress/egress at all times. Same way on planes for me. Aisle seat please!

I like to show up about a half hour early so I can choose the perfect spot...however...no matter where I sit, it seems that any one that comes in from that moment on sits in my vacinity. That just bothers me. Why do people go and crown around one area when the whole place is empty? I do not like when someone sits right in front of me when the whole place is open...why do they do it! WHY!

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
I'm not sure if i mentioned this but, I like to be at the movie theater an hour or so early. The reason well I have two reasons. One so I have time to pick a good seat. The second reason and my favorite is I like to answer the trivia movie questions and see the up coming movie trailers!! YEAH WHAT FUN!! I hardly get any questions right but its so much fun to answer trivia questions!!!! I wish there was a thing on youtube with movie theater trivia questions. does anyone know if thats even possible? Thank you.

Martian Leader

I, too, like to be at the movie theatre, at least a half-hour to an hour early, in case there's an extra-long line, which sometimes happens.
Yet, there are times when I go with another person who doesn't like being an hour early, when I end up compromising and, even though I get there an hour early sometimes, we agree to meet at the theatre a half hour prior to the show beforehand, if one gets the drift.

bokscutta
i prefer to sit in line with the projector. but because of the theatres i go to so often i like to be where the largest speakers are. some people like to just WATCH, i like to FEEL my movie

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I have to sit right at the back, dead centre. That is perfect for me.

If I'm eating popcorn I always get the jumbo huge-ass bucket with free refills, so in that case I'm sure to be on the aisle for easier access to and from the concession stand. I take the aisle more often than not anyway because I'm 6'3" and can use the extra leg room, but I'm always there when I'm eating popcorn. Well, not always. If it's a near-empty theater and I'm relatively sure I'm going to have a whole row to myself, then I'll center even with popcorn. But usually.
Makes good sense!

Do I look crazy????
I wait a couple weeks once the movie comes out, after all, I've waited this long and if I'm gonna pay, I better have a good seat! I don't eat the entire day, so I can get my jumbo popcorn and pop, cause I only see it in the theater if I feel it will require a jumbo tub of popcorn to balance my unbridled excitement. I pick the exact middle, when I can, just because it makes sense!

time to time it is changing