The Buffy Re-Watch Club

Tools    

OK, I've seen up to Lie To Me.

Three episodes I really like, though I'm not sure I have too much to say. Reptile Boy reminds me of an episode of Angel, with their demon worshiping rich boys. In this version, I think it comes across as a metaphor for the social elite. Those in the fraternity are blessed, because of who they 'know'. So long as they pay their dues, sacrificing the innocent is just their dues. It's well told and the big demon at the end doesn't look too stupid. It's amazing what a bigger budget can manage.

Love Cordy in this, of course and, as usual, she gets some great lines.

Cordy - Buffy, these men are rich. And I'm not being shallow. Think of all the poor people I could help with my money.

Cordy *Looking as if she's looking at Buffy* - You did it. You saved us. *Falls into Angel's arms* I hate you guys. The weirdest things happen when you're around.

She's still not quite one of the gang yet.

Giles starts strongly, too, with:

Giles - Are you going to be prepared when a demon sneaks up behind you and does this
*attacks Buffy from behind. She casually stops him*
Giles - Yes... Well I'm not a demon.

And I love Willow making the little "grrr" noise when talking about Angel getting mad when Buffy was in trouble.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Lie to Me - It's a pretty average episode as far as Buffy goes. I think addressing the whole "I want to be a vampire" subculture was pretty funny. There is a really great Buffy/Giles moment at the ending that is both touching and funny in it's way.

Angel coming to Willow's bedroom window is cute and funny. It also shows the juxtaposition between Willow's innocence and what they are dealing with by Willow including Angel as a boy that she is not allowed to have in her room.

I didn't like the Ford character too much and I thought that they could have made the vamp wannabe situation a lot funnier. Parts were funny, especially the guy who dresses just like Angel, but I still felt there was opportunity to make a few more jokes.

So, in summary, I think it had some really shining moments but the main story line could have used some tweaking.

By the way- I'm late so we are now on "The Dark Age" until Thursday.

Hope I'm not losing what few members I have. I haven't watched Dark Ages yet, but I'm watching the next three episodes tomorrow. There's a two parter coming up and I'm going to watch it all at once.

Anyway, we should be on the first part of What's My Line? right now. I know HK isn't too far behind. You still watching, Seanc? Anyone else?

You can always join in from this point if you want.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think the episode Lie to Me asks some pretty interesting questions with the character Ford, his illness and the possibility of "curing" oneself of said illness. It ends on a depressing note with his demise and the fact that Buffy had to be the one to do it shows her dedication to the job.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm completely up to date. Watched The Dark Ages yesterday.

As I said last time, I don't know if I have a great deal to say but I'm sure I'll witter on about something.

Halloween is a fun epside which I think most Buffy fans really like. If only as you see the characters mixed around a little. Xander as a soldier, Buffy as a fainting noblewoman. Of course, the most interesting one is Willow, whose 'ghost' allows her spirit out and to take charge and show what she can do when she's not hiding anymore.

As always, Cordy has some wonderful lines, my favourite being something along the lines of saying to Buffy, "You might be hot stuff when it's about demonology and vampires, but when it comes to dating? I'm the Slayer."

But I think my favourite exchange is between Drusilla and Spike.

Drusilla - Do you like my insides? The parts you can't see,
Spike - Eyeballs to entrails, my dear.

Is this the first time we see Buffy pleased with who she is? She's accepted it before, but when the spell is broken and she's Buffy again, we get

Buffy - Hi honey. I'm home. *Punches Spike* You know what? It's good to be me.

I think that's the first time.

It's also the start of the Ripper side of Giles, which is always an interesting detour and, of course, the introduction of Ethan and that final scene, letting us know that he'll be back.

I've always thought that Lie To Me was a little more complex than it seems to be getting credit for here. Obviously you have the cancer/vampire link, which is nothing new. Vampirism has been used as a metaphor for disease since Bram Stoker's novel, but here there's a slight twist, as TUS mentioned, it's also used as a cure.

Not only that, but it addresses the people who want to be vampires. It doesn't just show them as silly wannabes, although it does that too, but it shows them as people searching for something. Here it's being a vampire and romantising the demons, but in our world it's cancer, AIDS or some other ailment which they think will ease their loneliness or need for attention. They don't really want to be vampires, as people don't really want cancer or AIDS, their lives are missing something, but wishing for pain or illness isn't the answer. It's going out there and finding out what it is you're really missing. And everyone's missing something.

I agree with Godoggo that I dont' think Ford is a very well drawn character. He just doesn't work for me.

So, that's the serious stuff done. Where's the fun? Actually, there's good deal to be found here too. I like the flirting between Giles and Ms Calendar. I like the conversation about The Divinyls "I Touch Myself"

Buffy - I moped over you for months. Sitting in my room listening to that Divynals song I Touch Myself. *looks around embarrassed* Of course, I didn't know what it was about then.

Then it ends with Willow, alone, and her saying "Oh, that's what that song was about?"

There's a few good, but very typical Whedon stuff.

Willow - OK, but is there isn't anything weird... Hey, that's weird.

Xander - I'm gonna have to go with deadboy on that.
Angel - Can you not call me that.

Spike - I'm sorry baby. I'm a bad, rude man.

But my favourite part of the whole episode is, as usual, Cordy and her complete fangirling Marie Antoinette.

Not only that, but it addresses the people who want to be vampires. It doesn't just show them as silly wannabes, although it does that too, but it shows them as people searching for something. Here it's being a vampire and romantising the demons, but in our world it's cancer, AIDS or some other ailment which they think will ease their loneliness or need for attention. They don't really want to be vampires, as people don't really want cancer or AIDS, their lives are missing something, but wishing for pain or illness isn't the answer. It's going out there and finding out what it is you're really missing. And everyone's missing something.

I agree with Godoggo that I dont' think Ford is a very well drawn character. He just doesn't work for me..
Yeah, I don't think it's a bad episode by any means but I think I'm looking at it at what it could have been. That's perhaps a little unfair, but it could have been a little deeper and a little funnier. I think they had the elements there, I just wish it had dug a little deeper because I do agree with what you say above and I think that's a great topic, but it I thought it should have been fantastic given the above subject matter, but it was just really good.

Had Ford's character been better, I would be more praising of it, I think.

The Dark Age, debatably, isn't as good an episode as Lie To Me, but I'm not as hard on it. I really like Giles-centric episodes, so that is probably why.

Actually, we should be on What's My Line? Part one but we are all a little behind so I am going to switch to that one Monday.

So yeah, if everyone can watch Dark Ages by Monday we will all be on the same page.

I'm going to treat What's My Line? 1 & 2 like one episode so that we will be on Ted Thursday.

Ted is fantastic. John Ritter guest stars.

Really? I love it, but then I reAlly like John Ritter.

Also it's a lighter episode after What's My Line?, which I won't spoil, but Seanc has some really good stuff coming up.

Yeah. I don't remember why I started liking him. There's Company was before my time but it seems like I saw Sling Blade then Buffy and by the time Bad Santa came around I was a fan.

I first saw him in Three's Company, I think. It used to be shown over here at about 4am on a thursday morning. I hardly ever went to school, so I'd stay up and watch it. Loved it, but then, I used to love Man About The House, which is the UK version.

I think that was last Monday's episode, but it might've been Thursday. Where are you up to, Sean?
I am through Dark Ages. Liked that one quite a bit. Lie To Me not so much.

It's been on in syndication forever so I could have watched it if I wanted too, but I just never did. I've caught bits and pieces of episodes so I get all the Three's Company references when I hear them.

I am through Dark Ages. Liked that one quite a bit. Lie To Me not so much.
Oh, I don't know why I thought you were behind. We will still keep it the same though and start watching the next one Monday.

Prob cause I haven't posted in a while. I will try to the next few. Episodes have just kind have been toggling between pretty goid and forgettable to me so not much to say lately.

What was it about Lie To Me that didn't work?

How have you felt about the last few?
I thought Lie To Me was going somewhere with the vampire wannabes. It felt so anticlimactic to me. I don't know if I am too used to shows that tell one complete story to enjoy episodic story telling like this anymore. I just feel like the threads start to go somewhere and then it is interrupted by Buffy fighting some weird monster I don't care about. I don't know, maybe I am expecting too much. I am going to keep going for a bit.