Training Day

→ in
Tools    

Training Day was OK. I'd give it two-and-a-half to three out of five stars.

It wants to be a Sidney Lumet movie for the 21st Century. In his long career, Lumet is responsible for such gritty police procedurals as Serpico (1973), Prince of the City (1981), Q&A (1990) and Night Falls on Manhattan (1997), all of which examined the murky netherworld of over-the-line Police departments, the corruptable system from the street-level on up.

Training Day is probably nearly as good as Lumet's lesser films, Q&A and Night Falls on Manhattan, but falls decidedly short of Prince of the City and it's not even close to Serpico.

For director Antoine Fuqua, who's previous efforts were the ho-hum transplanted Hong Kong actioner wannabe The Replacement Killers (1998) starring Chow Yun-Fat and the forgettable thriller with an awkward dash of Beverly Hills Cop humor called Bait (2000) starring Jamie Foxx, Training Day is a step toward more mature and ambitious pictures.

But the material is too straight-forward and muh too well-trodden to really amaze. It's competent, but very familiar.

The highlight, as you might suspect, is Denzel Washington's performance. It is intense and focused without going over-the-top. He's not as altogether scary as Nick Nolte's perverted racist in Q&A, but he does have his chilling moments, wrapped in an outer shell of charm and apparent ability. It's not Denzel's best work by a long shot, but solidly entertaining and engrossing. I'm not generally a fan of Ethan Hawke's, but he's fine as the standard naive, idealistic do-gooder who finds himself drowning in a moral and ethical crisis.

I'd say Training Day is a bit better than some of the other entries in this sub-genre over the past decade or so, like Internal Affairs (1990), The Corruptor (1999), One Good Cop (1991), and One Tough Cop (1998), but not a whole LOT better. It's probably closest to CopLand (1997), which was fairly basic but made better by the cast and representation of that town. Training Day is elevated by Denzel and the slightly stylized nightmare of the hot L.A. locales. It's enough to recommend the picture, but don't go in expecting to see anything new.

In the end, Training Day is decent, but too routine. I've been for a ride-along in this cop car before.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I didn't think this movie was all that great. Everyone I know said "it's so awesome, Denzel deserves an oscar, blah blah blah" but I don't see it. The last act in particular was poor. And Denzel was ok, nothing special. You never were watching officer Alonzo Harris, you were watching Denzel Washington play officer Alonzo Harris. Overall, this movie is pretty unoriginal. Don't lose sleep if you miss it.

In case anyone is interested, this movie pulled in over $22 million in it's opening weekenend, which is, IMO, a bit of a surprise. I didn't see tons of previews for it, and it hasn't gotten tons of word-of-mouth...however, the reviews have been mostly positive, and the TV spot was interesting...so, apparently, that did it.

It was an entertaining movie. Everyone's always trying to analyze everything, just watch the movie and enjoy it. Sure there were scenes that didn't seem that great and some parts where Denzel could have done better, but over all it was a great movie.

That bathroom scene where Ethan Hawke almost had his head blown off was very cool. Of course I knew he wouldn't be killed then because he's one of the main characters, but yet it was entertaining.

I really liked the movie was surprised to read that people didn't think it was that great. I dunno about oscar nominations or anything but I thought it was well done and had a raw violent element to it that kinda made the movie more realistic than the average gang/cop film. That bathtub scene was something else. Reminded me a little of the Scarface scene with the chainsaw.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
In the end, Training Day is decent, but too routine. I've been for a ride-along in this cop car before.
I disagree. I think this movie was damn good. Cop movies don't easily impress me, because like Holden said, they're a dime a dozen; but this one was special.
I liked the style of this film. I liked the way I kept getting nervous, I liked that I kept changing my opinion of what was going on.

As far as the performances; everybody did a great job. Ethan was convincing, he had a tough role to ride...
Denzel Was just awesome. He had his role down pat. I thouroughly enjoyed watching him work; listening to him speak. Great dialouge.

I highly recommend this film. It's exciting and dangerous. I loved it.

For me , this was the third best movie of last year. I just picked up the DVD yesterday and watched it last night. Both ethan and Denzel gave great performances and the script was very well written.

This movie was good but not Oscar good. I have to say i was very surprised both leads got nominations and even more surprised when Denzel won.

The film was dark and the script was clever, with some nice twists. I really enjoyed it but, as a said before, Oscar material? I dont think so.

Hi,
has any one seen Training Day? In my Opinion one of the best movies.
I'm also searching the Song where they get in the car.
Hope you can understand me, i'm bad at english i know

Obviously, giving this thread some CPR worth about 6 years, but I have the same question as FlorianL.

That instrumental song that comes in when Washington & Hawke are driving away in Washington's "office" - I love it, and I cannot find it anywhere, no matter how hard I look.

Help? Please?

Stuck in the middle with you.
I've seen it on Tv a few times and it just seems that Denzel's not into the character he's potraying.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Not a huge fan of the film, there are some really nice parts to it, but I think Washington himself knew that he'd done better work that was more worthy of an Oscar.
His opening of his acceptance speech says it all for me, " kill two birds with one stone " in reference to him and Halley Berry both winning that year, sad that Hollywood was so obvious in its' lets appease the black actors & filmmaker this year approach.
I look at Denzel the same way as I look at Pacino and De Niro now, their performances are almost by the numbers or too over the top, indeed Denzel seems to have adopted Little Shouty Al's style almost verbatim.
Before anyone has a go, I believe that this also reflects badly on the roles that they are being offered as well, all three are fine actors on their day, it just appears that the roles aren't challenging enough anymore.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I liked it alot

Training Day was brilliant. Denzel Washington was so powerful, I could'nt wait to see what he would do next.
When he gets killed at the end, my heart jumped!

This film as similar themes to Dirty and Harsh Times, Harsh Times being better then Dirty.

Training Day was brilliant. Denzel Washington was so powerful, I could'nt wait to see what he would do next.
When he gets killed at the end, my heart jumped!

This film as similar themes to Dirty and Harsh Times, Harsh Times being better then Dirty.
Caught the last part of Training Day on TV a few days ago. Washington got an Oscar for that! Someone's fantasy of life--and death--on the streets. The final scene was way over the top. Film should have been titled Black Guys Can't Shoot, since it took so many bullets from so many guns to put down one unarmed sitting duck.

I think that Training Day is a really good film. I'd give it a godo 3 out of 5 stars. Brilliant performance by Denzel Washington and just generally gritty yet entertaining.

This was a good movie, with great re-watch appeal and powerful performances from both Washington and Hawke, though I would agree with other posters that Alonzo Harris is far from Washington's best work.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's the kind of movie I want to get on the bandwagon with, with everyone else, but it's frustrating to watch cause the Hoyt character is so dumb and keeps digging himself into deeper holes all the time.

SPOILER

He is at a complete surprise when Harris shoots the drug dealer. Why didn't Hoyt see this coming. All the cops he was with stole the drug dealer's money, and then Harris keeps on telling Hoyt to shoot him. Then Harris shoots him and Hoyt jumps up completely surprised as if he didn't see this coming at all.

Then later, after this whole thing happens and he is now part of a murder, a questionable looking guy asks him if he can see his gun and Hoyt actually gives it to him to look at! Unbelievable.

So I want to like it but kept putting my palm in my face the whole time.