Movies that should be remade.

Tools    

Gosh, I hate to think of what a remake of Logan's Run would be like. Maybe, just maybe if a director with a brain made it, then it could be something decent. But how are they ever going to ever replace Jenny Agutter?

Gosh, I hate to think of what a remake of Logan's Run would be like. Maybe, just maybe if a director with a brain made it, then it could be something decent. But how are they ever going to ever replace Jenny Agutter?
She's certainly not dated visually!

Coincidence - right now my mom is watching Call the Midwife on which Jenny has a role (of course, she's much older now)!

Anyone remember the Logan's Run TV show? I barely do. I can't remember it's premise (since the movie had a conclusion that suggested the dome society would be reborn with people coming outside and discovering the old man).

Maybe it was like the Planet of the Apes TV show which, if I remember correctly, just didn't fit into any continuity of the movies (which is why it didn't appeal to me despite my love for Roddy McDowell)!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't know if I want a remake of Logun's Run. The original is a good movie, but the whole concept has been done so many times now, where it takes place in a futuristic world and then someone escapes, and finds out that there is a bigger world out there, and that the government is trying to keep everyone contained.

Even movies like the most recent being Maze Runner perhaps, seem to have had the same inspiration. So even though the original is a good movie, a remake would feel very been there, seen that nowadays I think.

Coincidence - right now my mom is watching Call the Midwife on which Jenny has a role (of course, she's much older now)!
hmm, not interested in seeing that.

Anyone remember the Logan's Run TV show? I barely do. I can't remember it's premise (since the movie had a conclusion that suggested the dome society would be reborn with people coming outside and discovering the old man).
I seen it...But I can't remember a thing about it, must be because it was so bad that it wasn't good. Though I kind of think I liked watching it back in the day.

I'd go for a remake of Saturn 3. In place of Farrah Fawcett they could cast Jennifer Lawrence, she's use to being in space. But who would be cast to replace Kirk Douglas?

As for 70s sci-fi movies, I would also like a remake of Invasion of the Bee Girls, but would that concept do well today?

I can definitely get behind a Logans Run remake. Totally fits today’s modern era

As for 70s sci-fi movies, I would also like a remake of Invasion of the Bee Girls, but would that concept do well today?

Sounds like a fun movie, did you like it? I've not seen it, but I'm thinking I should

As far as remaking it, it seems to me there would be all sorts of complaints of stereo typing and sexism. It probably couldn't be made today under the current social censorship.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	9891ab9b17646c915a1a2e96c665d30c.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	52902  

I kind of liked it, kind of not. There were moments of it when it was awesome, and moments were it was disappointing, so it could be remade with the awesome parts and the rest done better.

But since the movie is about women with superpowers who are going around screwing men to death, could the movie seen as a feminist revenge film, where women get to have their way with men, and get revenge on them in the process, if that makes sense? That's not really stereotyping as I don't think that's been done in modern movies hardly, or is it stereotyping?

I'd go for a remake of Saturn 3. In place of Farrah Fawcett they could cast Jennifer Lawrence, she's use to being in space. But who would be cast to replace Kirk Douglas?
Michael Douglas? Nah - he's a good actor but he just never had what his father did. Plus, even he is too old now.

Another movie from that era that I think about (can't say if it should be remade or not) is Outland starring Sean Connery.
I remember liking it, but only saw it once decades ago (I think it was one of the first movies I ever saw on cable - at my aunt's house - because she had this mysterious new "cable"!)
I remember thinking it was slightly different - like "industrial sci-fi" since the focus wasn't much on the sci-fi aspects and covered the day to day work on a mining colony (along with a drug smuggling conspiracy & murder mystery thriller).

...Another movie from that era that I think about (can't say if it should be remade or not) is Outland starring Sean Connery.
I remember liking it, but only saw it once decades ago (I think it was one of the first movies I ever saw on cable - at my aunt's house - because she had this mysterious new "cable"!)
I remember thinking it was slightly different - like "industrial sci-fi" since the focus wasn't much on the sci-fi aspects and covered the day to day work on a mining colony (along with a drug smuggling conspiracy & murder mystery thriller).
Like you I seen it once years ago, but then I rewatched it and even did a review here
Did you know Outland has something in common with Three O'Clock High?

Like you I seen it once years ago, but then I rewatched it and even did a review here
Did you know Outland has something in common with Three O'Clock High?
That makes me want to see it again.
High Noon is one of the only two westerns that I really like!
Peter Boyle as the villain? I really don't remember that. I'd need to see it again just for that (since like most my association with Peter Boyle is a comic one! Young Frankenstein / Everybody Loves Raymond.)

Mission to Mars

I have always wanted to see jaws remade too. I know why people don't want it remade though. I don't think remakes ruin the original personally. Nothing ever takes away from a good movie. Bad sequels remakes etc don't make the original bad. But if they remake it I want to see the same type of tricks used where we don't see the shark til later. Made with great actors. Just with better effects. Some day. Jurassic Park somewhere down the line I would like to be remade but more towards the book and more of a horror movie. Those are my two favorite movies but so if they ever do it they need to do it right. But if they don't ever remake it I'm fine with it. And to the people who whine about remakes and nothing original, movies haven't even been a thing for very long in the grand scheme of things. Continuing to make new movies will get harder and harder so I don't have any problem with remakes. I don't understand why people care. If they suck they suck. Just watch the old ones. I do agree jaws and jurassic park being remade will likely never be as good but I'd still love to see it. People saying deep blue sea and the Meg are basically remakes of jaws are ridiculous. Just because there's a movie with a shark doesn't make it a jaws rip off or remake. Totally different story.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Running Man.

Even with Schwarzenegger, this movie is a hard watch nowadays. Add in social media and big brother aspects and this is ripe for the remaking.

Was recently reminded of one I think would be a good choice, Wings of Fame from 1990 with Peter O'Toole and a young Colin Firth. The concept of an afterlife for celebrities that takes the form of a hotel with the level of accommodation you have depending on how famous you remain in the real world. Despite the big names the original was a bit overwhelming as I remember it with a rather cheap production an not so great script.

Running Man.

Even with Schwarzenegger, this movie is a hard watch nowadays. Add in social media and big brother aspects and this is ripe for the remaking.
I actually think it still holds up very well personally, I mean its cheesey in some respects he it has guts to it politically which I suspect a modern remake would tone down ala Robocop or Total Recall.

Really I think that era of Arnie style action/sci fi was a lot more subversive than it often gets credit for, took aim at US society generally rather than having 1-2 villainous characters as the problem the heroes faced.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
That's fair, it didn't play like that for me on the last re-watch. I think there is always room for well-executed cheese, Army of Darkness is a great example. Running Man just seemed like it was poorly made and a remake has a lot of room to make improvements.