Annihilation

Tools    

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...y-2018-1026557

"Audiences will be taking a trip to Area X this February.

Paramount has set a Feb. 23, 2018 release date for Annihilation, the adaptation of the acclaimed sci-fi novel from Jeff VanderMeer.

The film is directed by Ex Machina's Alex Garland, and stars Natalie Portman as the lead character, an unnamed biologist sent on a special mission.

In March at Cinemacon, creepy first footage from the project was shown, with the husband of Portman's character (Oscar Isaac) returning home one year after being sent off on a mysterious mission, but he's not quite himself.

In the novels, the government sends expeditions to Area X, an uninhabited land in which unexplainable things happen. Those who due enter Area X either don't live long or return not quite as themselves.
"

This might just do nobody any good.
I’m dying to see this. Garland is a long time favorite of mine and the book gives him some Stalker-type material to play around with. It could prove polarizing, honestly, and he’s talked about deviating from the source material.

Anyways, this is from some time back:

looks extremely good and haunting, and i like oscar isaac aswell

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Wow she's come along way from the dreadful star wars 2nd trilogy. Looks good.

I bought the book this was based on last year, I think, and forgot about it until I saw the trailer, which made me decide to finally read it. Went ahead and read it over Christmas, and...yeah, the trailer looks really different, in almost every way: the events themselves, the order events are going to be presented in, and (probably) the tone. Won't necessarily be a bad thing, though, because while the book was interesting (if a little unsatisfying--it's the first in a trilogy, though, so I'll hold off on judging it too much for that), I'm not sure it'd make a good movie if shot "straight."

I bought the book this was based on last year, I think, and forgot about it until I saw the trailer, which made me decide to finally read it. Went ahead and read it over Christmas, and...yeah, the trailer looks really different, in almost every way: the events themselves, the order events are going to be presented in, and (probably) the tone. Won't necessarily be a bad thing, though, because while the book was interesting (if a little unsatisfying--it's the first in a trilogy, though, so I'll hold off on judging it too much for that), I'm not sure it'd make a good movie if shot "straight."
I've been going back and forth on whether I should read the book first. Now that you say the film has significant differences compared to the book, I just might. Which one would you say has the darker tone?

Which one would you say has the darker tone?
That's a tough question to answer either/or. Based on the trailer, it seems like there are some horror elements that put an emphasis on monsters and creatures that isn't really in the book, which has more of a psychological horror thing going (and even then, horror isn't really the right word). It's more about grappling with the unknown, rather than running from big scary things.

It looks like there's way more action in the film than in the book, in any event.

That's a tough question to answer either/or. Based on the trailer, it seems like there are some horror elements that put an emphasis on monsters and creatures that isn't really in the book, which has more of a psychological horror thing going (and even then, horror isn't really the right word). It's more about grappling with the unknown, rather than running from big scary things.

It looks like there's way more action in the film than in the book, in any event.
By what you're telling me it sounds almost like two entirely different stories at this point. In that case I'm definitely going to read the book first. Thanks for the heads up.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Dammit thought this was for another Mortal Combat sequel, what a letdown

All I can say is that the trailer for this film is very misleading. Unless Alex Garland has taken extensive “artistic liberties” with the novel, this film is going to be a major disappointment to a lot of people (think Arrival). I also find it a little funny that this is being touted as “cerebral” or “intellectual.” I guess, it could be considered that for some. But, it’s no 2001: A Space Odyssey. The book is popular, but not very highly regarded.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This is being presented by Netflix much like The Cloverfield Paradox. Hopefully this receives a warmer welcome.

Suspect's Reviews

the movie look pretty good even tho natalie portman is one of my favorite actresses for long time
she looked hotter in the second Thor film, now she looks a bit old.