Lost Film by Alfred Hitchcock has been found in New Zealand

Tools    

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Three reels of a lost film by Alfred Hitchcock have been found in New Zealand. He was the assistant director, film editor, set designer, and wrote the film's storyline. The film was called 'The White Shadow' and was made in 1923 when Hitchcock was just 24 years old. Here is a link to the story:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/03...n-new-zealand/

Very interesting. I haven't seen any of Hitchcock's silent films, but I may have to see this when they restore it.

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
An excellent DVD package is 'Alfred Hitchcock: The Legend Begins'. It contains 20 early films by Hitch, most of them silent films. It is available from Amazon for the amazingly low price of less than $8.00.

Semper Fooey
That's nice, but since he was an assistant director it isn't really a real Hitchcock directed movie. Graham Cutts has a reputation for being one of Britain's best directors during the silent era, so if the movie is stylishly directed like the article says, you can't attribute that entirely to Hitchcock's contribution. Assistant directors primarily do what they are told.

Semper Fooey
The Mountain Eagle which Htchcock actually directed is a lost film.

I think trying to attribute The White Shadow as a Hitchcock movie is a real stretch.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It's not like today. Back in the day it was lax keeping tabs on where things are. Everything was tangible, not like today where you can make a dozen back up copies. There was probably only one copy and it got lost somehow.

Suspect's Reviews