How do you rate your hometown for movie theaters?

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Where is the Columbia, future bride to Mr. Darcy (Slug ?) Certainly not in Grayshott, Dorking, or Great Yarmouth, I would wager?

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Though I must say, even with only living there less than two years the best movie theater city I have ever lived in was San Francisco. Damn, they have some marvelous old palaces still up and running, a true beauty to behold. The Castro is by far the best known and does the best and most eclectic programming, but there are several others still in operation around the city as well. Outstanding!

Thanks for this image Holden. This brings back a very specific memory for me. I saw only 1 movie at this theater. It was Woodstock (1970) on May 8, 1970. It was 2 days after Kent State May 6, 1970:

and as the line from the song by Country Joe and the Fish in the movie:

"And It's One, Two, Three, Four, What are We Fighting For,
Don't Ask Me I Don't Give a Damn,
My Next Stop Is Viet-Nam!"

so it was with me. I shipped off (flew) to Viet-Nam the next day for a 10 month tour. (Tour sounds like a vacation, but it wasn't.)

This thread did not develop the way I though it would, but perhaps it is even better then what I thought of at the start. I was looking for an idea of what the current state of film culture was like where MOFO members were currently living, but it has brought up a lot of memories of where people saw specific movies.

It is amazing thet people have memories of where they saw specific movies and remember the theaters where they saw them. Most are the older movie theaters with a single screen. It is true for me anyway. Older theaters with a single screen, I can remember what I saw there even though my memory stetches back 50 years in some cases. Those movies I saw at multi-plexes all seem to blend together.

Thanks again for the photo of the Castro.

Originally Posted by Erasmus Folly
Thanks for this image Holden. This brings back a very specific memory for me. I saw only 1 movie at this theater. It was Woodstock (1970) on May 8, 1970. It was 2 days after Kent State May 6, 1970:

and as the line from the song by Country Joe and the Fish in the movie:

"And It's One, Two, Three, Four, What are We Fighting For,
Don't Ask Me I Don't Give a Damn,
My Next Stop Is Viet-Nam!"

so it was with me. I shipped off (flew) to Viet-Nam the next day for a 10 month tour.
Wow. That's amazing.

And want to feel old? You were there exactly three days after I was born (May 5th, 1970).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm not old, you're just 12.
My town doesn't have a movie theater anymore. They opted to build condos instead. They suck.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The King of Movies
We have alot of theaters in my city, mainly in suburban shoping centers (malls). I don't think there is one shoping center in Melbourne that doesn't have a cinema. We have a couple in the actual city also.

We have an Imax and a couple of forign art house cinemas. I went to the Imax once or twice and it was good but i haven't been to any art house cinemas.

Great post eMilee! It brought back many memories of my own. I grew up in St. Paul, Minnesota. My parents would take us to Rose Drive-In theater. The Rose had a beautiful Red Neon Rose on the back of the screen. Underneath the screen was a small playground for kids, swings, the old push merry-go-rounds that made you dizzy. Shows started at dusk with a news-roundup narrated by Lowell Thomas. Then coming attractions and a cartoon, Roadrunner and Wiley E. Coyote! Then the main attraction. Popcorn and sodas and a clear night! Heaven!
Anyway I was wondering if it was still in existence. So I googled around and found out it still exists and is showing films even today!

In looking into this I ran across a wonder website that is a database for movie theaters in the US and around the world. It has current theaters and old ones that have been closed or demolished.
For instance, when I was living in Denver one of the nicer theaters was The Center:

This was an old theater that opened in 1954 furnished in Art Deco style with balconies and red velvet. It was in this theater that I saw The Exorcist when it first opened. I saw it on the second day of release and yes there were people who actually ran out of the theater screaming! Sad to say it has since been demolished.
The beautiful thing about this website is that theaters are listed by country, state, and city or town. Many have a photo tour and sometimes a brief history. It will list them as open, closed or demolished.

Rufnek, here is a photo of the Aztec Theater in San Antonio:

It is listed as national historic register and is currently undergoing reconstruction.

WSSlover here is The Brattle:

This a very nice site and here is the link:
http://www.cinematour.com/main.php
Thanks very much, Erasmus. I've got annual memberships to both the Brattle and the Coolidge Corner Theatres, which I'm happy about, because I get to see films at a discount. The Brattle's a very nice theatre, but sometimes I think it cries out for a curtain.

The hometown that I grew up in did not have a movie theatre of its own. However, at one point, during the early 1960's, there'd be Saturday morning movies at our Town Hall, where we'd often see other kids that we knew. The vintage Embassy Theatre in Waltham, MA, was another theatre that was frequented by kids in our town, and so were the Lexington Flick, the Fine Arts Theatre in Maynard, MA, and theatres in downtown Boston or Cambridge.

kick back and watch humanity go by
My hometown The Hague in The Netherlands has several big movie theatres, mainly owned by one big corporation, which sucks. We used to have a lot of smaller ones, the big one bought them up or they went belly up. So, same formula all the way around, same movies. But we got one other theatre which only shows the low-budget, better acting movies, is there a name for that??

You think a lot of choices, but big city is often deceiving.

My hometown The Hague in The Netherlands has several big movie theatres, mainly owned by one big corporation, which sucks. We used to have a lot of smaller ones, the big one bought them up or they went belly up. So, same formula all the way around, same movies. But we got one other theatre which only shows the low-budget, better acting movies, is there a name for that??

You think a lot of choices, but big city is often deceiving.
Yes, but it would seem to me the clear benefitof living in The Hague is that if somebody in the theatre is talking on their cellphone or kicking your seat that you can bring them up on crimes against humanity. Tribunals from the 3:15 showing of The Dark Knight, room seven. Tribunals from the 6:00 showing of Wall-E, this way please (don't forget the booster seats).

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Wait, Holden is only 38 years old? Why did I think he was older?

My hometown is in the country, we have no movie theatres. Heck, we just got a Wal-Mart two years ago!

But I live in the Baltimore-DC area. Lots of places to go, and there is one in Frederick, MD which is just great. Because it is a country town, you can catch a first-run film on opening night and get a seat.

My biggest complaint, though, is that the only theatres that show independent or limited release films is down near DC and parking is terrible; best to take the metro; and it's just too much trouble. There is a large Muvico about 40 minutes away that sometimes shows limited release films, but only if they are popular ones.

BTW, Baltimore has a grand old theatre, The Senator. They even have a Graughman's Chinese Theatre type of cement out front with names of directors/stars that had Baltimore premieres. Obviously, John Waters and Barry Levinson are there. A man comes out on stage and introduces the film (and yea, a curtain opens!). But unfortunately, I hardly get there anymore.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Holden, I missed your post about growing up in Maryland. I see you posted a pic of The Senator!

I wanted to comment about Westview. I LOVED THAT THEATRE! I went there all the time growing up (I grew up in Pikesville.) I remember seeing Dances With Wolves there in 1990, and I think that may have been the last time I was there.

I was so sad to see it torn down. It is a travesty that it's a Circuit City and I went to the drive-in a lot as a kid.

kick back and watch humanity go by
Yes, but it would seem to me the clear benefitof living in The Hague is that if somebody in the theatre is talking on their cellphone or kicking your seat that you can bring them up on crimes against humanity. Tribunals from the 3:15 showing of The Dark Knight, room seven. Tribunals from the 6:00 showing of Wall-E, this way please (don't forget the booster seats).
lol, you would think that, but as in a lot of big cities, people are scared of eachother, so...it happens, the cell phone thingies, but often it goes by unpunished. Even though we have International Tribune here, sometimes crime and punishment is far away

Oh and the other theatre is ofcourse for the independent movies.

Cheers!

I haven't been to the movies in awhile. Las Vegas isn't far, but I miss the old theaters. The little plexes give me claustrophobia. I recall the grand ones, and it's hard to forget them. I grew up in Maryland, too. Greenbelt theater was great. Still looking good.

I would give Greenville, NC, where I presently live, a C for theaters. We do have some, but there's nothing particularly special about them; just your typical googleplexes.

But to Washigton, DC, where I grew up, I would give an A; possibly an A+. The theater that is still there that I remember from my days there is the Uptown, a classic art deco theater with a 70-foot curved screen. My Dad took me to see 2001: ASO there when it opened, and most recently I saw the Blade Runner re-re-re-release with my brothers, who still live in the area.

My fondest memories of Washington, however, belong to the Circle theater, now long gone. The Circle was a repertory movie theater that showed double features on a 6-month rotating schedule. It was at the Circle that I first saw many of the films that remain favorites of mine to this day: Harold and Maude paired with King of Hearts; The Lion in Winter with A Man for All Seasons; Marat/Sade with Peter Brooks' version of King Lear. And on and on and on.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention the Biograph, also no longer in existence. It showed artsy and independent movies. I saw a midnight double feature of Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine at the Biograph. I also saw Errol Morris' Gates of Heaven there. It's still my favorite documentary.